Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another lame weather gimmick

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Another lame weather gimmick

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 am

We are told over and over and over again how important local weathercasts are. We’re forced to sit through research meetings to be told how local weather is the number one reason why local viewers tune in to newscasts and apps. We spend tons of money on weather presentation systems at the same time that we lay off workers because the weather brand is that important to growing the station.

So what is the 25-66 “Storm Ready” team doing to win the severe weather wars in the Flint-Saginaw TV market?

“Let’s find local kids to do the weather for ‘Weather Kids Wednesdays’”!!!

Nothing says we can trust the accuracy of local forecasts like throwing a fifth grader on air and having him or her tell you when the next major winter storm will be hitting mid-Michigan.

Yet the latest gimmick to come from “our dear leader” AKA the accountant in chief that you don’t dare question, the “Assistant GM” who couldn’t edit a promo if her life depended on it, the in over her head News Director who clearly cant remember where she left her spine and the declining sales czar.

If I’d were Ahmad, Leslie or Elise, I’d ask for a refund for their college education. According to 25-66 management, apparently you don’t even need an elementary school education to forecast the weather. I’d also polish up those resumes with all those fancy weather certifications from the AMS/NWS as 25-66 prepares to replace those “over paid” minimum wage meteorologists with much more affordable cute kids presenting the latest weather computer model runs. I’m sure we’ll pay our weather kids with all you can eat grilled cheese sandwiches!

No wonder why viewers are no longer watching local news... The bottom feeding local conservative news station conglomerate WEYI-WSMH continues to find new ways to drive away the few remaining viewers we have left.

Beerbong

Re: Another lame weather gimmick

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:48 am

“Let’s find local kids to do the weather for ‘Weather Kids Wednesdays’”!!!

Ahmad is all about teaching science to kids.
What better way to do it than have them experience weather forecasting first hand.
I hate to tell you this, but viewers eat that up.
I think you’re just plain hatin on this one.

Also, your calling people names again. Don’t be a hypocrite.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:02 am

Ahhh... another hate-filled retort from 25-66’s Chief Apologist... who clearly misses the point.

Many times these initiatives are forced upon us from management.

That’s why you get lame gimmicks like “The Weather Warriors”, “Asking the Tough Questions”, “The Rant”, Sunrise Yoga, The Ghost of Mr. Food, poorly attended Health Expos, and the former NBC 25 Deer Pole.

When managers who clearly don’t watch their own newscasts or get out of the building to talk with real viewers, they actually think these ideas will save TV, reverse the trend of viewership loss, and the declining advertising revenue as companies realize that TV newscasts are filled with exactly these types of worthless content.

This is our future until the dinosaurs at the top that have a disdain for serious journalism become extinct themselves.

As for the argument that “people eat this stuff up” — that’s why we have social media. People can watch all the cute animal videos or people getting hit in the crotch they want all day long. That doesn’t mean I want to waste my time watching local Mets playing with kids on the green screen. I just want to know if it’s going to rain or snow or if I’ll have to bundle up or leave for work earlier because the roads are going to be slick. Basically, my time as a viewer is valuable and don’t waste it. I guarantee that most viewers will tune off as soon as the Weather Kids pop up... except for Little Suzie’s own mom and dad.

And Beer, before calling out others for name calling, you probably shouldn’t sign off by calling others “hypocrite” — that kinda undermines your whole argument.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am

And Beer, before calling out others for name calling, you probably shouldn’t sign off by calling others “hypocrite” — that kinda undermines your whole argument.
[/quote]

Just holding you to your own standards old friend.

Also, no apologizes here. It’s never a bad thing to get young people interested in possible future careers, or to just spark an interest in learning.
Haters gonna hate. To bad you can’t find a job that pays you to do that. You'd be the best!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 am

I’m not sure who you are calling “old friend”. You claim that you’ve never worked for 25-66, so you clearly don’t know me and I don’t know you. I have a job that I live and am good at. That’s why I’m fighting so hard to improve the quality of our newscasts. What’s your excuse for defending the same managers and their decisions that are driving this station into the ground.

I do agree about sparking an interest in young people in STEM careers. That’s why many of us talk to school classes and attend career fairs... many times which go uncompensated or unrecognized by our bosses. So before you start accusing people of not caring about that, you might want to open your eyes first and see all the work we do on and off the clock. When was the last time you went back to a college class to talk about future careers in journalism or mentored other journalists to provide feedback on their work? I have. So I don’t need to be lectured from the peanut gallery or supervisors who don’t do what they ask us to do.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am

You mean our sparkling back and forth has meant nothing to you. I’m hurt.
What you call “fighting hard” sounds more like “whining. Apple and oranges.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 am

Once again, another diversion tactic. You know not what you’re talking about. Since I’m focused on trying to improve our newscasts to be relevant to our viewers lives/interests. Beer is just interested in name calling. But he’s right on one point, his “sparkling” back and forth means very little to me. Winning newscasts and stories — you know, why I got into this career — is more important to me.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:35 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 am
Once again, another diversion tactic. You know not what you’re talking about. Since I’m focused on trying to improve our newscasts to be relevant to our viewers lives/interests. Beer is just interested in name calling. But he’s right on one point, his “sparkling” back and forth means very little to me. Winning newscasts and stories — you know, why I got into this career — is more important to me.
I know exactly what I’m taking about. Like I said countless times before. This is just whining or cry baby tactics. You know how to approach it the right way, but oh, it’s so hard to do it that way. I tried, but they just won’t listen. Blah blah blah. So, this kinda shit reduces you to the whiner category. Like it or not. But hey, at least you’re working on your typing skills.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:53 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:02 am
When managers who clearly don’t watch their own newscasts or get out of the building to talk with real viewers, they actually think these ideas will save TV, reverse the trend of viewership loss, and the declining advertising revenue as companies realize that TV newscasts are filled with exactly these types of worthless content.

This is our future until the dinosaurs at the top that have a disdain for serious journalism become extinct themselves.
This is the "vast wasteland" that Newton Minow was talking about back in the early-1960s, when he implored station managers to watch their own programming without any filters or data.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:56 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 pm
The gimmicks are there to distract people from realizing that local weather meteorologists are worthless.

Any time there is a significant weather event, these meteorologists (or “weather forecasters” who got their degree online from Cracker Jack University) say, “Here’s the latest from the National Weather Service...”

Guess what? You can go DIRECTLY TO the National Weather Service website for the information! NO METEOROLOGIST REQUIRED!!! But most people are too stupid to realize that, so there you go.

Even more worthless is local sports. “Unless you were the lucky five people who went to the Saginaw Spirit or Flint Firebirds game tonight, here’s what happened...”

The most entertaining is Friday night sports where the sports people scream at the schools for not calling in a final score. “And this nobody with no future scores a touchdown! And the winner is... we don’t know! COME ON, PEOPLE!!! WE COVER YOUR GAMES! FOR THE LOVE OF POONTANG, CALL US WITH A FINAL SCORE!!! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?! HOW DEH YOU!!!”
On the air or behind the scenes they said that?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic