Registrations in the queue through August 30 at 8:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Union organizing

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Dudley
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Union organizing

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:02 pm

You’ll have your union rep sitting on their duff, saying they’re working on “union business” while you do all the work and when you bring something up to them they will say, “It’s not all about you. It’s about all of us. Besides, nothing I can do about it. Stop interrupting my sleep, er, union business.”

Gee lol101 you hit that nail right on the head!



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Union organizing

Post by Herm » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:59 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:59 pm
Lovin’, I find your perspective on the inner workings of NBC 25 “interesting” since you’ve said in the past that you’ve never worked for WEYI and you’ve never been in broadcasting. How would you know why the union was “voted out” or the lack of prior pay increases?
This is a fair question.

They do bring up a few good points though.

The chances are greater that, if the union tries to make a comeback, Sinclair would just eliminate all positions.
I seriously doubt that management would see the error of their ways and correct them. The all mighty dollar is the only catalyst for that type of change.



organman95
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Union organizing

Post by organman95 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Let’s recap, orgasmman. The place used to have a union. While the union was there, members said that they didn’t feel valued, felt underpaid, had horrible morale, and was in last place. Workers dissolved the union. Same environment. Now, someone is saying “Hey, I’ve got an original idea! Let’s unionize! Everything will improve!”

Wow. Just wow.
That was then. This is now. Different 'leadership' happening, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Oh, and my name isn't 'orgasmman.' I've let that go on for way too long. Knock it off.



lovinlife101
Posts: 5625
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 am

organman95 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Let’s recap, orgasmman. The place used to have a union. While the union was there, members said that they didn’t feel valued, felt underpaid, had horrible morale, and was in last place. Workers dissolved the union. Same environment. Now, someone is saying “Hey, I’ve got an original idea! Let’s unionize! Everything will improve!”

Wow. Just wow.
That was then. This is now. Different 'leadership' happening, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Oh, and my name isn't 'orgasmman.' I've let that go on for way too long. Knock it off.
Then just wait another day, my non-orgasmic friend! Management will change twice in that time!



lilnut13
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Re: Union organizing

Post by lilnut13 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 am
organman95 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Let’s recap, orgasmman. The place used to have a union. While the union was there, members said that they didn’t feel valued, felt underpaid, had horrible morale, and was in last place. Workers dissolved the union. Same environment. Now, someone is saying “Hey, I’ve got an original idea! Let’s unionize! Everything will improve!”

Wow. Just wow.
That was then. This is now. Different 'leadership' happening, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Oh, and my name isn't 'orgasmman.' I've let that go on for way too long. Knock it off.
Then just wait another day, my non-orgasmic friend! Management will change twice in that time!
@lovin' I highly doubt that waiting will change management. The GM is to far up Corporates ass for that to ever happen. They protect him at all costs and in turn he protects every other shit head manager on staff! That's why he's still there and the NBC previous GM was let go, along with every other previous NBC manger. All NBC staff members had no chance. They walked into a management staff that already hated them and the way they did every aspect of their jobs, no matter the department. I came from the other side of the building not the new dept....it was horrible from the start! I was not a union member, but damn-it, I would have jumped on it if I had the opportunity too! 🤐🤨



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4039
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Union organizing

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Both my wife and I grew up in exxtreme poverty. Indeed, the first few years together, we lived in poverty. I got my first break when I got a job in a Union shop, with decent wages and benefits and something called a pension plan.

Growing up in a poor, working class family, in Ontario, in the 1960s, there wasn't much opportunity for education beyond high school. My Union gave me that education and it didn't cost me a nickel.

Today I'm retired. We aren't wealthy, but we live in modest comfort. No working person should have to settle for less.



sinklair
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by sinklair » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Just to clarify: WEYI workers didn’t dissolve the union... the union shut down the local. It wasn’t a big enough bargaining unit for the UAW.

Most of the good managers who once advocated for workers are now gone, were fired/let go, retired, or just ran from the burning home. They were replaced by managers who won’t stand up to the GM.

So any chance of a well-meaning individual being able to move the bar in the current environment is simply non-existent... just the way the corporate lackey in charge (and his henchmen) like it.

Union representation may not fix all problems but it at least gives workers a platform for fair discussions.



lovinlife101
Posts: 5625
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 am

sinklair wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 pm
Just to clarify: WEYI workers didn’t dissolve the union... the union shut down the local. It wasn’t a big enough bargaining unit for the UAW.

Most of the good managers who once advocated for workers are now gone, were fired/let go, retired, or just ran from the burning home. They were replaced by managers who won’t stand up to the GM.

So any chance of a well-meaning individual being able to move the bar in the current environment is simply non-existent... just the way the corporate lackey in charge (and his henchmen) like it.

Union representation may not fix all problems but it at least gives workers a platform for fair discussions.
The union shutdown the local?! What is wrong with that place?

UAW: “We know that you’re paying us to represent you, but you suck, so we’re breaking up with you. We’d rather not take your money and never speak to you again than take your money and do a horrible job representing you.”

It’s like an agent firing someone who already paid them.

Agent: “Yeah, you suck so much, I don’t want anything to do with you. That means, I’d just rather not take your money anymore, even when I don’t do anything for you.”

Oh, workers must be REALLY excited to get another union in there!!!

The union is like someone who gets free action from a prostitute and then one day say, “You know what? I don’t want you anymore, even if it’s free.”

For decades, the union ticked off workers for not representing their interests, kept them in last place, and received the lowest pay and benefits than any other station in the market.

Oh, but the next union will be better! Like Bernie Sanders’ form of socialism is better than all the other failed brands of socialism!



sinklair
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 am

Lovin, you’re sounding like a management plant. Criticize the union but offer no solutions (other than leave/quit) to improve pay and work conditions.



lovinlife101
Posts: 5625
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 am
Lovin, you’re sounding like a management plant. Criticize the union but offer no solutions (other than leave/quit) to improve pay and work conditions.
Life there will suck with or without a union. I don’t care what you do.

If you leave, the chances of finding better employment, with better pay, working conditions, and management are astronomically in your favor.

I’m just giving you a history lesson. When the union was there, it negotiated the worst pay and benefits of any other station in the market.



sinklair
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:53 am

As someone who has worked at WEYI for sometime (intentionally vague since the Sinclair brass are feverishly looking for who’s posting on the Buzzboard), I can with authority dispute some of Lovin’s claims.

While the union was far from perfect, Sinclair has had a 1.5% maximum wage increase for most workers for nearly five years now. (Management excluded, of course.). In this economy that our President claims in one of the best in history, the rich (especially David Smith) keep getting richer while the rest of us are being left in the dust.

Will the union fix everything? Likely not. But will it be better than the status quo? Absolutely.



lilnut13
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Re: Union organizing

Post by lilnut13 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:46 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 am
The union shutdown the local?! What is wrong with that place?

UAW: “We know that you’re paying us to represent you, but you suck, so we’re breaking up with you. We’d rather not take your money and never speak to you again than take your money and do a horrible job representing you.”

It’s like an agent firing someone who already paid them.

Agent: “Yeah, you suck so much, I don’t want anything to do with you. That means, I’d just rather not take your money anymore, even when I don’t do anything for you.”
[/quote]

The Union didn't just leave, Sinclair stopped taking the dues out of union employees paychecks and then intern stopped paying the union dues.
That was there way of dissolving the Union knowing no one would fight it coming in to a new environment and not knowing anyone.



lovinlife101
Posts: 5625
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm

The only people benefitting from a union are the union bosses and their underlings.

Are unionized auto workers any better off than their non-union counterparts at Honda and Toyota? NOPE! If an auto company doesn’t pay market wages, people don’t work there. It’s that simple. Wages and benefits are the same across the board for the auto companies, union or not. Those paying a union are being taken for a ride thinking their union got them those wages and benefits. The market did. However, in some cases the union did. Like new hires for the UAW make roughly half of those on the top tier! THANKS UNION BOSSES! YOU NEGOTIATED THIS!!!! And don’t get me started on how the union treats retirees. Hitler treated the Jews better.

So go ahead and join a union. You’ll be paying someone to do what you can do better yourself. That is, unless you’re Dave Blondie.



lovinlife101
Posts: 5625
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Union organizing

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:49 pm

brianp48093 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:41 pm
FUCK UNIONS. I belonged to one until April of this year...Never again. The Union fat cats get FATTER...just look at the monthly meetings. The top officials get FATTER monthly...their button up shirts get harder and harder to close. I swear on my kids lives, I will put a hollow point through the back of my head before EVER joining a Union again. Without a doubt, the WORST, depressing, miserable time in my adult working life. Being in a coffin would be a better option. Anyone that would like the real behind the scenes info of what the Union really feels about its members, feel free to private message me. I’d be more than happy to fill u in. Proof? It’s called RECORDING the meetings secretly with a “spy pen” gotta love technology! Set it right on the fucking table to record all. Disgusting.

Dirty rat bastard fucks. I’d like to filet those fat fucks one by one.

Oh, and my Union was a SKILLED TRADE union, not the monkeyfuck UAW. My trade, actually requires SKILL. Standing on an assembly line doesn’t require SKILL. Is it dirty, miserable work? Sure is. Would never argue that. Being hard and miserable doesn’t mean it requires any fucking skills
Spoken by someone who has actually been in a union.

Corruption, bribery, scandal... and that’s just in the first five minutes!



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Union organizing

Post by Herm » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:53 pm

brianp48093 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:41 pm
FUCK UNIONS. I belonged to one until April of this year...Never again. The Union fat cats get FATTER...just look at the monthly meetings. The top officials get FATTER monthly...their button up shirts get harder and harder to close. I swear on my kids lives, I will put a hollow point through the back of my head before EVER joining a Union again. Without a doubt, the WORST, depressing, miserable time in my adult working life. Being in a coffin would be a better option. Anyone that would like the real behind the scenes info of what the Union really feels about its members, feel free to private message me. I’d be more than happy to fill u in. Proof? It’s called RECORDING the meetings secretly with a “spy pen” gotta love technology! Set it right on the fucking table to record all. Disgusting.

Dirty rat bastard fucks. I’d like to filet those fat fucks one by one.

Oh, and my Union was a SKILLED TRADE union, not the monkeyfuck UAW. My trade, actually requires SKILL. Standing on an assembly line doesn’t require SKILL. Is it dirty, miserable work? Sure is. Would never argue that. Being hard and miserable doesn’t mean it requires any fucking skills
Why should we have to private message you to get the behind the scenes? If you got the goods, put it out there.
I’ve been a member of AFSCME, UAW, and IBEW. I’ve had my ups and downs but at no point would I have felt that death would be better.
Most things are what you make of them.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic