Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Great addition to NBC25/FOX66

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
organman95

Great addition to NBC25/FOX66

Post by organman95 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:14 am

Kristen Lowe has left TV 7&4 to join NBC25/FOX66. I firmly believe she will be a great asset to the station(s).

organman95

Re: Great addition to NBC25/FOX66

Post by organman95 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:26 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:48 am
Always great to see people raising in the ranks in purgatory.

Wow, six years at 7 and 4? I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Is she any relation to Jonathan Lowe? The deviant defecater?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/cb ... ay-8306221
Remind me how many years you were at 7&4. I knew of a few people that worked there for YEARS. Hell, Mark Schollett has been there 20 years, Joe Charlevoix 16 years. I don't see either of them leaving, they like their jobs. Dave Walker was there 25 years when he died, Dave Fortin retired after 42 years, and we have one here on the board that worked there 35 years. A station isn't "bad" when you have the right management in place. And if you can stick it out through the rough times, I do believe you come out ahead in the end.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:03 pm
organman95 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:26 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:48 am
Always great to see people raising in the ranks in purgatory.

Wow, six years at 7 and 4? I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Is she any relation to Jonathan Lowe? The deviant defecater?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/cb ... ay-8306221
Remind me how many years you were at 7&4. I knew of a few people that worked there for YEARS. Hell, Mark Schollett has been there 20 years, Joe Charlevoix 16 years. I don't see either of them leaving, they like their jobs. Dave Walker was there 25 years when he died, Dave Fortin retired after 42 years, and we have one here on the board that worked there 35 years. A station isn't "bad" when you have the right management in place. And if you can stick it out through the rough times, I do believe you come out ahead in the end.
I’ll remind you, orgasmman. Zero minutes and zero seconds. That’s how long I was there.

Any other stupid questions?
Then how/why would you make a statement like that? That is typically an ex-employee remark. But hell, if you've never worked there, or any of the stations on this forum, then where the hell do you come up with the crap that you do?

kager

Post by kager » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I hope it works out well for Kristen. She's good, deserves good, and will be missed up in the great northwest!

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Kristen took the job at 25-66 to be closer to her fiancé. She could and should have done much better... but I hope she’s happy and can help elevate the quality of what they are calling journalism on Pierson Road these days.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:48 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:25 pm
Kristen took the job at 25-66 to be closer to her fiancé. She could and should have done much better... but I hope she’s happy and can help elevate the quality of what they are calling journalism on Pierson Road these days.
That's why I said she'll be great for NBC25/FOX66. She knows how journalism is supposed to work. And I believe she can help bring NBC25 up in the ratings game.

Anyone know when her start day is? And is she going to be an anchor?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:24 am

I’m sure Kristen’s a great person, but she’s coming from the last place station in the TC/Cadillac market. I’m not holding my breath that she’s going to make much of an impact at NBC 25 and Fox 66 until there’s a change at the top.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 pm

sinklair wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:24 am
I’m sure Kristen’s a great person, but she’s coming from the last place station in the TC/Cadillac market. I’m not holding my breath that she’s going to make much of an impact at NBC 25 and Fox 66 until there’s a change at the top.
There are two main reasons for that. 1) There has always been a H*** Grand Traverse Area focus, leaving nearly everyone out. My opinion here, but I don't think Les Biederman had a whole lot of interest in TV, putting WPBN (and later WTOM) on the air simply to have NBC programming in Northern Michigan. Just my opinion. 2) Before Raycom in 1997, the station was owned by small companies that I think wanted TV, but then figured out how expensive it is to run, so sold off. Raycom put a tremendous amount of money into the station, and it was really coming up. Then the Barrington disaster. And who knows what the hell Sinclair has or will do to it.

Now, I don't know if NBC25 was a somewhat similar situation like 7&4 with a ton of small owners, but it appears to me that was.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Yes, WEYI and WPBN were both owned by Barrington Broadcasting... and as a result suffered the same lack of investment and direction... before Big Brother/Sinclair swooped on in to cut jobs and put on national pro-Trump editorials.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:05 am

sinklair wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Yes, WEYI and WPBN were both owned by Barrington Broadcasting... and as a result suffered the same lack of investment and direction... before Big Brother/Sinclair swooped on in to cut jobs and put on national pro-Trump editorials.
Thing is, Sinclair didn't cut jobs at WPBN. ADDED jobs. Barrington nearly had things cut to a skeleton crew, as I believe was also the case with WEYI. The only "good" Barrington did for WPBN was make a new set that was badly needed. They had used the same set since I *think* '94/'95.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 pm

The new set @ WPBM was built by a WEYI Employee!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:00 am

WEYI has lost more people this past year from forced retirements, layoffs, firings, non-contract renews, Moving on to bigger markets, spending more time with family — whatever you want to call it/“spin it” — than WJRT and WNEM combined. The reason is simple: cut costs to improve profit margins. They air a significant amount of “must run” stories not just to serve up the conservative philosophy pushed by corporate overlords Sinclair Broadcasting... but because it’s cheaper to fill the time with one reporter serving 70+ news stations. Sinclair continues to mandate a maximum 1.5% yearly pay increase despite making record profits and touting the President’s great handling of the economy. You can spin it lots of ways, but Sinclair’s top brass take every opportunity to reinforce the message that quality journalism comes second to increasing profits. What they fail to understand is their business is broadcast journalism, which requires attracting/keeping good people who know the community and aren’t afraid to (quoting our good friends at WNEM) “ask the tough questions.” Some of the most talented people I’ve met in decades in this industry are shoved out/flee the station because of a horrible management team and toxic workplace culture built off saving a buck at all costs and giving favors based off who kisses the boss’s butt the most.

But come on down to Frankenmuth for some chicken and buttered noodles so we can pretend there’s nothing wrong at the station’s annual “holiday party” — as long as you’re not required to work. Then we’ll send back cold left overs.

The GM and the Assistant GM (aka the Promotions Director) don’t have the backbone or vision to take this last place station anywhere but further downhill. And you won’t find many people working there that will defend management and Sinclair because they’ve seen the station go from being able to compete, to hiring some great anchors and reporters, and producing some award winning stories... to nowadays where people dread coming into the newsroom to be told how we’re not doing enough while they continue to cut staff and budgets.

But cold chicken and a selfie station makes everything better... right?

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:56 am

Dudley wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 pm
The new set @ WPBM was built by a WEYI Employee!
I know. Point is, the station got a new set. And then the current (and WEYI current) under Sinclair, which are both lightyears better, in my opinion.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:02 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:00 am
WEYI has lost more people this past year from forced retirements, layoffs, firings, non-contract renews, Moving on to bigger markets, spending more time with family — whatever you want to call it/“spin it” — than WJRT and WNEM combined. The reason is simple: cut costs to improve profit margins. They air a significant amount of “must run” stories not just to serve up the conservative philosophy pushed by corporate overlords Sinclair Broadcasting... but because it’s cheaper to fill the time with one reporter serving 70+ news stations. Sinclair continues to mandate a maximum 1.5% yearly pay increase despite making record profits and touting the President’s great handling of the economy. You can spin it lots of ways, but Sinclair’s top brass take every opportunity to reinforce the message that quality journalism comes second to increasing profits. What they fail to understand is their business is broadcast journalism, which requires attracting/keeping good people who know the community and aren’t afraid to (quoting our good friends at WNEM) “ask the tough questions.” Some of the most talented people I’ve met in decades in this industry are shoved out/flee the station because of a horrible management team and toxic workplace culture built off saving a buck at all costs and giving favors based off who kisses the boss’s butt the most.

But come on down to Frankenmuth for some chicken and buttered noodles so we can pretend there’s nothing wrong at the station’s annual “holiday party” — as long as you’re not required to work. Then we’ll send back cold left overs.

The GM and the Assistant GM (aka the Promotions Director) don’t have the backbone or vision to take this last place station anywhere but further downhill. And you won’t find many people working there that will defend management and Sinclair because they’ve seen the station go from being able to compete, to hiring some great anchors and reporters, and producing some award winning stories... to nowadays where people dread coming into the newsroom to be told how we’re not doing enough while they continue to cut staff and budgets.

But cold chicken and a selfie station makes everything better... right?
My thing is, how is Sinclair in business with the practice model that it uses? If journalism is second to profits, how are they making those profits when people leave stations? It doesn't add up

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:09 am

Yes, if you leave before your contract is up, the company goes after you for a percentage of your contract wages... even if you are getting out of the business or going to a market where you aren’t competing against the company (like Detroit). Then they enforce a non-disclosure agreement where you can’t talk about it. And you are literally banned from ever working again at Sinclair. Since Sinclair pays at the bottom of the pay scale for its market size, they know the number of people willing to challenge them in arbitration what would be costly legal expenses to challenge the forced pay out, company ban and NDA are very few. It is so wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic