Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rescan WEYI 25

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
cs15

Rescan WEYI 25

Post by cs15 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 am

Looks like WEYI 25 changed frequency's yesterday. WBSF 46 will be doing the same today. Be sure to rescan if you get these channels by antenna.

autolab

Re: Rescan WEYI 25

Post by autolab » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am

WNEM also changed its channel frequency as part of this week's repack. Viewers will need to rescan if they receive these stations over the air. It shouldn't affect cable, satellite services.

djb

Post by djb » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:27 am

How is everyone's signal after the repack? The stations that had to flip (5, 25, 46, 49 (though don't really care about 49)) all have far less signal strength/quality than before, despite power increases. Power increases had to occur due to the final repack stage to be a polarization switch to eliptically polarized instead of HPOL (requires more TX power to achieve the same "range"). Perhaps stations still need to "tweak" the power division between VPOL and HPOL (which to my understanding how eliptical polarization is achieved)?

Stations like 19 and 66 have far superior signal vs. the repacked stations thus far. I'm in NE Bay City/Essexville area. 20ft AGL VHF/UHF antenna.

autolab

Post by autolab » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm

5 had a lot of calls

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:42 pm

I just assumed it was my antenna that was the issue with 25, and with the subchannel on 46, I didn't think much of it.

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm

25 comes in way better. 46 is about the same. 5 is weaker, but it's no big loss.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

cs15

Post by cs15 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:55 pm
How will you know what already happened hours, if not days, ago?
WTH....are you talking about. ...???
A traditional broadcast is pointless. The information given has been known for a minimum of hours.
I use my DVR to record almost all of my TV watching so I can watch when I want and not have to watch commercials.

You've never watched the local stations during a tornado warning? That seems pretty up to date information.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm

smallwonder wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm
25 comes in way better. 46 is about the same. 5 is weaker, but it's no big loss.
Hi All,

I'll plagiarize my own posting on another site as a reply here, as (virtual) channels 5, 49, and perhaps 46 aren't concluded with construction efforts:

In watching the recent FCC filings, some of your area's repacked stations aren't at their full intended strength. What I'm understanding per those postings is that:

WNEM RF30 (VC5)--They did switch to RF30 by re-tuning their interim antenna.

But noted in April that they hope to have a new tower in place and broadcasting therefrom by 12/1/2019. (They expressed then that they've realized that building a new tower will be more economical than upgrading the current tower.)

WEYI RF18 (VC25)--Repacked to their full intended results, as no recent FCC filings allude to otherwise.

WBSF RF23 (VC46)--Perhaps not yet at their full intended strength, but broadcasting from new antenna on WEYI tower.

Friday they filed a STA (Special Temporary Authority) request indicating that they'd repack at half their intended strength (300kW, versus ultimate 600kW). Reason given that they'll initially use a 3 1/8" transmission line, until the 6 1/8" one was fully "stacked on the tower". Maybe that all did get completed by Saturday morning?

WAQP RF36 (VC49)--Interim antenna a greatly reduced power due to pattern.

Their STA and other filings this month note that final testing of the newly-manufactured antenna before shipment found an anomaly in pattern that is now requiring "sleeving the outer mast pipe", and that seeing that through has delayed delivery to the customer site.

Thus, the repack is complete, in that the Class A and Full Power stations are broadcasting on their intended frequencies. But per the above there's still work to be done by many of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tangent question to anyone else close by Flint or even Saginaw: Has the new low power station shown up for you, on RF35, perhaps with Virtual Channel (VC) 24? Perhaps someone's re-scans have captured it.

HC2/DTV America filed the License to Cover on 6/14. It's apparently broadcasting from what's likely a cell tower along I-75 just north of the M-57 interchange.

I'm kind of curious to know what content they're providing, as HC2/DTV America has a construction permit for a similar low power station (WIEK) that if built in the noted location would possibly reach me.

Cheers! ~ Statmanmi

djb

Post by djb » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Statman...

Thank you for this info! I had looked into some of this as well, since the repacked stations did file for STA as well as CPs for their new allotments. Reading over some technical info submitted by WNEM, it looks like they were going to temporarily run on a side-mounted HPOL antenna, while they waited to replace the original RF22 antenna near the top of the tower. The confusing part to me was whether these stations are currently running on their STAs, or their CPs (which, I think you cleared up nicely).

Looking a bit further (at least at WNEM), the STA information does state "interim antenna", an HPOL about 4.5m lower than the original RF22. The new EP antenna looks slated to be on top of the tower, at 303m.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 387fe63c1e

Bdl

Post by Bdl » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm

@Statman
I also say thx for the info. I know several people who watch WAQP via xmtr signal (I have Dish) so I can pass this along. Might be a while for them to get back to normal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic