Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AM1330 Drops Tigers

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Colonel Flagg

Re: AM1330 Drops Tigers

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:42 pm

When Citadel had WTRX and WFBE, there were actually a couple of staff members and an AE who worked almost exclusively on WTRX. There was also some LOCAL programming on WTRX during Citadel's ownership. Citadel was a lousy company, but at least they made an effort.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

jry

Post by jry » Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 pm

[quote=Realist post_id=570223 time=1555067779 user_id=3967]
[quote=Matt post_id=570213 time=1555060588 user_id=258]
[quote=smallwonder post_id=569964 time=1554774914 user_id=6399]
Cumulus has decided to not renew the radio contract for the Tigers for Sportstalk 1330. Flint doesn't have a radio home for the Tigers, but 97.1 does have a decent signal in the market.
[/quote]

Really smart idea on Cumulus' part! They could play three hours of paint drying and get higher ratings.
[/quote]

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Really? They are currently in first place. Yes, it’s early, but diehard fans will take it.

You’re also forgetting that 97.1 comes in best in a car in Flint. Building? Not so much
[/quote]

There are a TON of holes for 97.1. I've got really good car radios and they are pitiful.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:46 pm
WSGW only comes in in extreme West Genesee County, and only in the Daytime. Remember that they have to minimize overlap with CKLW.
I live off of Corunna Rd (or M-21 if you prefer), near Dye Rd. Regarding WSGW...

I have a Rhapsody Multiband radio (same as a Realistic SW-100) with a rotatable bar antenna on the top. I can get just enough to tell they exist at night, just like trying to listen to WSAM in Flint. You hear their calls pop out of the noise every now and then. I can get WSGW daytime with a lot of hash. WSAM actually is closer to listenable.

Pretty much the same results on my Grundig Sat800 Millenium. However... I have to go outside and run on batteries to get them on either radio.

Then, I have an old CBS Masterworks multiband portable and a Wards Airline that have pretty impressive MW band. They both get a pretty listenable signal on my longwire.

That said, I abandoned most sports in general like 2 decades ago. The only "sportsy" things I enjoy watching are *real* stock races (like Auto City), demolition derby (*especially* figure 8 races with school busses!) and curling (the one with the stone on ice, LOL). I should probably records some baseball games or golf for those times when I simply cannot fall asleep. That would likely knock me out better than meditation music!

I wonder how much more dead air WTRX will transmit from this change... Between then and WFNT, there's enough wasted energy on the AM band to power a small village!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm
97.7 WTGV is also an option for Lapeer County listeners. When their automation doesn't screw up, that is.
It's pretty funny... I use a freeware automation program (RadioDJ) that *hardly ever* screws up, even with RAM-hogging StereoTool running on the same box with 1 GB RAM on XP Pro. Why do so many stations have such difficulty with automation? Of course, many times the line noise more entertaining than the rest of the programming.

You would think with the level of tech available today that automation systems would be somewhat "self-healing" if anything. I don't understand why there isn't a "look-ahead" thread which can scan playlist elements ahead of time, try to relocate bad tracks/events and, finally, pop a Promo/PSA or even another spot for the same cient in and send a "deviation" text to whoever is babysitting it. Like, for instance, "Item # 08:50-2 (SKAFF-MAY-30-4.wav) is missing! Please check your avails grid for errors, or "PSA-052019-VETERANS-30-04.wav" will be programmed in it's place".

Granted, I do not have my RadioDJ remotely running a console/control surface, either. I can only imagine the migraines that creates itself. I'm also not hopping around between several sat systems, either.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:19 pm

There should be plenty of Tigers fans in Flint. Is there any money to be made carrying the Tigers on outstate stations? My guess would be that Cumulus isn't really trying to market WTRX to advertisers. Same problem they have with 1570.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:19 pm
There should be plenty of Tigers fans in Flint. Is there any money to be made carrying the Tigers on outstate stations? My guess would be that Cumulus isn't really trying to market WTRX to advertisers. Same problem they have with 1570.
Is there any financial incentive for them to promote WTRX and WWCK? If not, then I can understand why they don't go out of their way to sell and promote it. WWCK (and possibly WTRX could have) already HAS a CP for a translator on 107.3. I'd have to look at it closer, but it seems to me they could run that off the WTRX tower at a higher HAAT. I would think that there would be many format options for the AM station/translator combinations. WNWZ 1410/Magic 104.9 is doing very well in the ratings in Grand Rapids, doing a format no one would try before in GR, R & B by any other name, on FM. But when I asked the people at Townsquare's predecessor if they were interested in filing an APP for a translator during the window where 12000 APPs were received, they weren't interested.

Flint screams for 70 dBu signals on FM, which the translators provide. Despite common belief, even WIOG places no 70 dBu signal over the City of Flint, or any part of suburban Southern Genesee County where many "Flintoids" have moved to, as predicted by CFR 47 Section 73.333 Graphs. WNWZ is doing well even in a market with excessive numbers of FM stations with 70 dBu coverage, for its market size.

Go ahead, zoom in and change to Open Street Map, and you'll see that WIOG even misses the Flint Northwestern property with a 70 dBu. Suburban is limited to a tiny slice of Flushing, and Mt. Morris and Clio in toto (no Sirius/XM playlist jokes, please). No Grand Blanc, Fenton, or Swartz Creek. WRSR does put a 70 dBu over most of Swartz Creek and Flushing, but none of Flint, Grand Blanc, or Davison.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... =75957&i=2

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... 776304&i=2

I agree, they aren't trying hard enough. Despite population declines, there are still more people in Genesee County, by about 50000, than in 1960, when the Flint population was at its peak. The vast majority of Flint's population loss is still in Genesee County. The water situation in the City of Flint is about 99% solved, from what I've heard from people being shouted down, but people are still denying that and trying to milk it for more government program money.

The translators now would even solve the minor lobe DA problems at Night in Southern Genesee County.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic