Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Flint Nielsen numbers for radio

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
SD45

Re: Flint Nielsen numbers for radio

Post by SD45 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:20 am

Most of the morning shows in Flint or Saginaw fall into the abyss for me.

My mom always had WHNN with Johnny Burke blaring when I was a kid.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:12 pm

I stream Z93's The Morning After show on my morning runs. It's a good mix of man-child talk and music. Good amount of music to keep me entertained when my body wants to die.

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:11 pm

I suspect when Cumulus sold 103.9 to its current owner, Krol Communications, they probably agreed to not put a directly competing format (i.e. Classic Rock) on a Flint area signal.

Cumulus gave away the wrong format, if ya ask me. They should've retained The Fox's intellectual property and moved it to 105.5. I'm glad Krol wound up with The Fox, though, as they've done a terrific job programming the station.

With circumstances as they now are, I'd like to see Classic Hits attempted on 105.5 personally.

The problem with moving Classic Rock from 104.5 to 96.1 is you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement format capable of pulling shares similar to those earned by WILZ for the 104.5 signal. I'm skeptical that most of WHNN's 5 or 6 shares could be successfully migrated to 104.5.

I suspect Cumulus will always want a middle age female friendly format on at least one of its Mid Michigan blowtorches. The AC format at 96.1 serves that purpose.

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:48 pm

Cars 108 is very stale. Several local businesses have flipped to Fox or something else. The new morning show with Nathan and Lisa is very cookie cutter and quite boring. With Townsquare letting go of their older staff in other markets, how long will George McIntyre last?

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

mr v

Post by mr v » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:11 pm

Does Bert pay WWCK to air that trainwreck? Because WWCK would be foolish to dole any money out for that room full of people who think they are funny, when nobody else does.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:00 pm

WIOG, with it's original call letters, WNEM-FM, began targeting Flint when it first came on the air in the early 1960s. Both WNEM-FM 102.5 and WGMZ 107.9 had Beautiful Music formats. WGMZ was owned by Mid States/Panax. When the late Bob Liggett, known on air as Bob Layne from his days at WJBK, was the program director at Metrocom, which bought WGMZ in the late 1960s, it was Adult Contemporary. He also programmed their Long Island stations, known earlier as WAPC and WPAC, where Rick Sklar had worked early in his career. Metrocom sold WGMZ to Long Island based Beck Ross Communications, which returned it to Beautiful Music, circa 1970. But there were very few FM signals strong enough for most FM radios. With a turnstile antenna at 30 feet though, you could get 25-30 stations, more than most people in the largest Markets, due to selectivity limitations on the vast majority of FM radios at the time. WSWM 99.1 (WFMK) and WXYZ-FM 101.1 (WRIF) were also two of the strongest non local signals. WSWM was also Beautiful Music, coowned with WQDC 99.7 (WUGN), WABX 99.5 (WYCD), WGMZ (WCRZ), and for a short time WMAX-FM 101.3 (WBFX). WXYZ-FM was mainly a simulcast of WXYZ 1270, until the FCC came up with nonduplication rules in the late 1960s.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm

Bert Show runs on a bartering deal.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic