Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLNS Lansing CH 6

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Martin Stett

WLNS Lansing CH 6

Post by Martin Stett » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:51 am

A little off topic, but in eastern Genesee County I can pick it up quite clearly in all but the worst weather.
I was looking for news yesterday after the games at 7pm. 5 ran Wheel of Fortune so I tried 6 and got their evening local news. Aside from the prioritization of news vs syndicated pap, WLNS seems to have a polish and professionalism that is lacking in the Mid-Michigan market. It's a well-produced news show. Is it the market?

Ben Zonia

Re: WLNS Lansing CH 6

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:49 pm

WJIM-TV/WLNS used to be the official CBS station for Flint and Genesee County, until WEYI-TV 25, then CBS, moved their tower location to Willard Rd., at 4050 kW with a 1400 foot tower, with a line of sight signal to almost the entire County, including the terrain shielded areas behind the ridges between the rivers and streams. WLNS had a Grade B signal with some shadowing at near ground level, and required an outdoor antenna for Lansing, for 6 and then 10. WJRT 12 was the ABC affiliate for Lansing also, until sometime circa 1990 when WLAJ 53 came on the air. Channel 5, then NBC, had some issues with distance and shadowing which necessitated a separate antenna or rotator to get an interference free signal, with no diagonal lines. 2, 4 and 7 from Detroit were not Line of Sight, but the signal from WWJ-TV/WDIV 4 got over the hills quite well on it's 66-72 MHz channel, as did WJBK-TV 2 54-60 MHz. Many areas could get WJBK-TV on rabbit ears in most parts of Genesee County, but many used aluminum foil to improve it. Most people with area specials watched WWJ-TV 4 for NBC until they got better antennas with rotators.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

sdaddy

Post by sdaddy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 pm

Year or so maybe longer, 6/53 got new tower and it’s a blowtorch now. The contour map covers a good bit of Saginaw County and well into Genesee County.
Comes in clear and strong even with a paper wall antenna here in James Township.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:47 am

WJRT has always been a Flint station. It has always been ABC for Flint. Until WLAJ came on, they were ABC for Lansing also; although sometimes WUHQ Battle Creek could be picked up.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:22 am

WLNS is a stereotypical small market Nexstar station. They may look good, but they can’t go two stories in a row without a spelling error, audio issues, running the wrong video.

That there is even a discussion that WLNS is as good as any Flint-Saginaw TV station shows just how bad many of the Flint market stations have become recently.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:55 pm

We pick them up too, and sometimes WSYM. Caught Sugden on there once or twice. I agree they do look better than our stations sometimes.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm

I get them OTA here in Brighton quite well (along with ABC 53). I happen to like them. I don't watch frequently but it's a nice change of pace from Detroit channels.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:46 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:47 am
WJRT has always been a Flint station. It has always been ABC for Flint. Until WLAJ came on, they were ABC for Lansing also; although sometimes WUHQ Battle Creek could be picked up.
Prior to WLAJ, WJRT has been the defacto ABC affiliate for Lansing, while WXYZ had a similar role in Jackson, and WUHQ for the western portions of the market.

djb

Post by djb » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:01 am

Every so often I can get LNS/LAJ here in Essexville, off my rooftop antenna.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic