Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

25-66 impacted by Sinclair ransomware attack

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Herm

Re: 25-66 impacted by Sinclair ransomware attack

Post by Herm » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:47 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:47 am
Herm, you jumped ship before Sinclair took over. Now you’re doing great at a much better operation. Good for you.

But I guarantee you that anyone that was at WEYI before Sinclair’s “hostile” takeover would disagree with you that Barrington was worse. Hell yeah, Barrington was run in the cheap. It forced us to put on an inferior product. But there were many great broadcast professionals (like you) that did some great work, sometimes in spite of the limitations we faced.

Fast forward to today. No one is proud to be associated with the crap we put on the air. People are looking to leave as soon as they can to get as far away as fast as possible from some of the worst management I’ve ever worked for. Trust me when I say morale on Pierson Road is the worst I’ve seen. That lands squarely on the handpicked Sinclair GM, the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales, the HR Director/Grilled Cheese Party Planner and the other all-white station managers.

It’s comical watching our local engineers and IT deal with this latest Sinclair-made catastrophe. They’re frustrated and lashing out at us…

The fact is, Sinclair should have taken much more aggressive response after similar hacks at the Weather Channel and Cox Media. They didn’t. Sinclair believed their own press that they were well prepared and had sufficient security, policies and procedures. There was NO PLAN on how local stations were to respond to a failure of this magnitude. That’s why you continue to see stations fail to be able to put on regular programming.

Basic community cable access and student-run high school broadcasting channels are able to put on a more professional broadcast than Sinclair today.

Maybe instead of sitting on their piles of cash, CEO Chris the Ripper and Chairman/Lover of Prostitutes David Smith should invest in basic internet security programs. their stations and the people who are actually keeping us on the air.

Sinclair is rightfully so the laughing stock of the industry.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... yberattack
Jumped ship? Please. I bailed water out of that ship for almost a decade and it sank while I was still on it.
I never said they were worse. I just said that Barrington didn’t care. They didn’t.

djb

Post by djb » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:54 am

As an IT Engineer whose sister company is a digital forensics investigation company - I have firsthand experience of a ransomware shitshow.

First and foremost - a forensics company is going to want to gather an "image" of EVERYTHING in time. This is to determine how the breach occurred, where it came from, and what can be done to close the hole(s) that allowed it to happen in the first place. (Sidenote: Office365 is A VERY EASY WAY IN! That's a different thing altogether).

While this "imaging" takes place - nothing can be online. This is to insure the infection doesn't spread further, and to make sure nothing gets changed so that the analysis actually has merit. Downfall to this is that NO ONE CAN WORK.

So, companies will generally take the stance of, "Let's start rebuilding with what we have while this imaging takes place". This creates a mad-dash for hardware, virtual resources, etc, etc. Active Directory is a typical starting point - get users authenticated back on the network. Get ready for new passwords, re-creating profiles, re-setting settings, etc, etc.

If the backups didn't get hit (ya'll are doing backups, correct?) - then a restore can get everything back up quickly; though all of the work performed after the backups ran will need to be re-done. If the backups got hit as well - back to starting from scratch.

In these situations, despite what the FBI and digital forensic companies will tell you - IT'S CHEAPER TO JUST PAY THE DAMN RANSOM. Spend two days decrypting everything, then back to business. As decryption is occurring, find out how the hell someone got into the network in the first place, and close the damn hole.

My bet is an Office365 account hack (if implemented), or someone/something with a really easy password. That printer you created an account for in 2009 so that it could scan documents to the network....with a username of "Printer" and Password of "Sc@nner".....

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:18 pm

I've been in the room:
IT guys: "The Titanium Grade Security is bulletproof. The NSA couldn't get through it. It costs more, but . .. "
Beancounters: "IT COSTS MORE?!?"

NoozDude

Post by NoozDude » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 pm

NoozDude wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:44 pm
The plot thickens?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -cybergang
Evil Corp.?

Sounds like a name out of a Austin Powers movie….

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Herm: not only did you bail water, you put out fires, and probably did at least 10 other jobs to keep broadcasts on the air at the old Willard Road facility.

However, there’s real concern about whether or not we’ll get paid (Sinclair says we will)… or how much of our personal data was compromised and is now out on the dark web (and information about our advertisers). That’s a whole new level of sh*tshow that didn’t exist under Barrington.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235033439/

Many of us are anxiously awaiting Sinclair’s quarterly earnings report to be released on November 3rd. Lots of VERY tough questions for CEO Chris the Ripper and Chief Bean Counter Lucy Rutishauser. Stock prices are expected to continue to take a hit due to SBG’s criminal mishandling of the ransomware attack and regional sports nets.
Last edited by sinklair on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 pm

NO Tamron Hall, NO Entertainment Tonight & NO Inside Edition on NBC 25.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:56 am

OK, so the hackers got some data. The way the company is, what good will it do them?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:48 am

Paul: do you want Russian crime syndicate to have your personal financial information? I certainly don’t. That’s why it’s a big f’n deal to us Sinclair employees. But the company still hasn’t come clean about what info has been compromised.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:24 pm

I wonder if they got through from an anchor Parler account.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Hey Sinclare, All your rant about making it a better place and it is going down in flames! I am just laughing my ass off rolling on the floor. A big problem that I don't have to deal with any longer!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 pm

WOHO: yep, Sinclair has decimated their stations with cutbacks in the name of efficiencies. Automation, hubbing, positions with multiple responsibilities means there is no longer a bench or the ability to respond when things go wrong on a daily basis. When you have a major issue like the ransomware attack, this is what you get. This week, Sinclair has lost tens of thousands of dollars to save pennies. That doesn’t even count on the ongoing loss of all credibility that we can’t put on a professional news product. Why would viewers ever turn to us? Why would advertisers ever spend money with us? And still silence from corporate and station management…

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:21 pm

It’s been a week now and there’s no sign of this issue being resolved. This situation totally and completely shows how incompetent Sinclair top management in Baltimore are. If they can’t run the basic operations of a TV station, then sell them…

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

matt1 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 pm
NO Tamron Hall, NO Entertainment Tonight & NO Inside Edition on NBC 25.
Um, well yeah. Didn't you read the article? Here it is again. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -cybergang

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:06 am

Big Bang is back on CW7 saw it just to see if it was back or not it was on Fri. No 10PM News they did air the 6PM News since CBS airs SEC games at 3:30PM. Sinclair will give extra pay for those working at the station and the hard work they have done to put on the news this past week. I haven't seen any problems at Bally Sports Detroit got all the graphics from what I have seen.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic