Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tigers, Red Wings renew BSD contract

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Tigers, Red Wings renew BSD contract

Post by sinklair » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:58 pm

If you enjoy Jack Morris’ slightly racist ramblings on Tigers games… good news! The Ilitches are expected to announce today that they’re extending broadcast rights for the Tigers and Red Wings with Bally Sports Detroit.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 430589002/

MasterB

Re: Tigers, Red Wings renew BSD contract

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:01 am

I had a feeling that Tigers & Redwings weren't going anywhere just like the Pistons as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 pm

hmm, tigers and red wings owner signs an extension , when do the pistons re-negotiate its contract ? reason I ask is that Diamond Sports Group [subsidiary of Sinclair] is reportedly BLEEDING red and I'm just wondering if Chris Ilitch is maybe thinking of taking BSD over and turning it into a Ilitch property

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 pm

SBaxley wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 pm
hmm, tigers and red wings owner signs an extension , when do the pistons re-negotiate its contract ? reason I ask is that Diamond Sports Group [subsidiary of Sinclair] is reportedly BLEEDING red and I'm just wondering if Chris Ilitch is maybe thinking of taking BSD over and turning it into a Ilitch property
From your lips to God's ears...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 am

Here’s how bad it has gotten for Sinclair’s Diamond Sports Group… the subsidiary that oversees the Bally Sports regional sports networks.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/a-bet-o ... 2021-10-14

Sinclair is one of the worst run broadcasters in America. It literally has no idea how to get out of the mess it has created by playing hardball with cable companies and streaming services that now refuse to run its programming. And Sinclair has failed to prove a business model that shows viewers will play $20 or more for additional streaming services to watch these games. All while sports leagues are building the infrastructure to eliminate the middleman and bring games directly to the consumer.

The losses — in the billions of dollars — continue to rack up. Instead of minimizing its losses, Sinclair is doubling down. And who is paying the price for CEO Chris the Ripper’s bad bet? Local TV stations like 25-66 who have been forced to cut staff and freeze pay.

Local station and news management has ZERO vision on how to grow our floundering ratings. And they refuse to push back on corporate mandates that only continue to cut into our ability to put on a credible local news operation.

I’m not sure who is worse… our inept local management or the corporate Death Star that is driving this company into the ground. I can only hope it gets so bad that maybe Sinclair is forced to sell and we are picked up by a company that actually knows what the hell they are doing.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:57 am

Even MLB and NBA are starting to publicly criticize Sinclair’s refusal to play well with others.

https://theathletic.com/2885707/2021/10 ... s-forward/

If they can’t keep the leagues and fans happy, there is no chance this ends well for Sinclair.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:16 am

Sinclair/Bally Sports/Diamond Sports Group are in major free fall. There is now talk of bankruptcy, which I actually think serves the interests of pro sports teams who would then control 100% of their media rights by cutting out middlemen like Sinclair.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techl ... ays-195061

The fact is the Corporate Death Star bought the former Fox Sports regional sports networks without a plan, without working with the leagues. Sinclair did what it has always done… stepped in a lot of toes in its pursuit of more dollars, leading to blackouts that have pissed off viewers and the league itself. It seems Sinclair can never get out of its own way.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:51 pm

Hense, What I said earlier COULD be why I state that Chris Ilitch's reason to resign the tigers and red wings , is to take over BSD and make it an Ilitch property say.. ohh I don't know , hows the name DETROIT SPORTSNET or LCSN Little Ceasars Sports Network sound ? [think about it]

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 pm

Steve, I prefer the Pizza Pizza sports net

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:32 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 pm
Steve, I prefer the Pizza Pizza sports net
Or they could pull out an old name like "PASS" and call it something like "Michigan Sports PASS" or whatever. Of course, given the preponderance of silly missteps over the years by people named Ilitch, they'd want to get there name in the acronym and it would end up being called "PISS."

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:38 am

There’s no clear pathway forward for Sinclair/Diamond Sports:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/a-bet-o ... 2021-10-14

The only leverage Sinclair has would be to force the future on the major sports leagues to pay for Sinclair’s services now… since MLB, NHL, and NBA doesn’t have the broadcasting structure in place right now to do it themselves. Sinclair would become strictly a broadcast service provider while the sports leagues would retain their broadcasting rights. Might not be great for the corporate Death Star, but it’s sure better than the hundreds of millions of dollars it continues to lose and it’s drain on the bottom line.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:38 am

An interesting article about the challenges facing regional sports nets like Bally Sports:

https://www.sportico.com/business/media ... 234645414/

The fact is this space is oversaturated. With Sinclair’s Bally Sports, ESPN, the Big 10/SEC/ACC Nets, Fox Sports 1, Tennis Channel (also owned by Sinclair) and Stadium (also owned by Sinclair), there’s a lot of duplication.

The article correctly points out there’s little reason to watch these channels outside once or twice a week when you’re favorite team is playing. That’s why ratings (and revenue) are non-existent during the week and overnights.

Sinclair could find ways to present a better lineup by creating new programming. But as it is finding with Ring of Honor wrestling, that’s very expensive (and not the business model for the historically cheap Sinclair). They could combine Bally Sports, the Tennis Channel and Stadium… but that would then force them to give up potentially lucrative spots on cable snd satellite distributors lineups (also not the Sinclair way since they believe having national distribution model).

The problem is Sinclair jumped (like it always does) into murkey waters without a vetted game plan. There’s a reason Fox and Disney were quick to get out of the RSN business.

Another fine mess Sinclair has gotten itself in to…

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:07 am

Sinclair continues to pour even more money down the drain in its failure to run its Bally Dports regional sports networks. Today it announced it was purchasing up to $400-million in operating debt.

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/st ... -36940620/

I don’t know about you, but I could do a lot with $400-million.

First, I might give my colleagues the pay raises we’ve been denied over the past 6 years.

I’d actually hire more staff positions so we’re not running stations on a shoestring budget where if one person calls out sick or goes on vacation that we’re on the verge of not getting a newscast on the air.

Then I might actually rebuild the network infrastructure that is still not working properly following the recent ransomware attack.

Finally, I’d hire some good labor lawyers to fire every incompetent local station manager to earn back some credibility when it comes to running a local news operation.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:16 am

Another example of how Sinclair is taking its “Ball”y Sports and going home.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/does-sincla ... +Promotion

When Sinclair has every opportunity to expand its reach and make it easier for fans to view its RSN coverage, it does the opposite.

Sinclair is solely focused on trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to make profits. It has zero regard for the interest of sports fans.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:46 am

A great read by CNBC about the challenges facing the RSN world.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/21/sports- ... ay-tv.html

No wonder that RSNs are going under. t more than $6 per subscriber, Bally Sports Detroit is among the most expensive channels in cable lineups with among the lowest ratings outside live sporting events. Much like the pro teams themselves which continue to gouge fans attending games with high ticket, concession and merchandise prices, Sinclair is doing the same with its broadcast fees… and has essentially killed the golden goose. Viewership and attendance continues to drop with no solution in site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic