Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WUD T-Vee Speling Errers

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
sinklair

WUD T-Vee Speling Errers

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:04 am

Well that’s embarrassing when your boss calls you out for not knowing how to spell.

It’s even more embarrassing when the email is passed along to FTV Live to put the entire station and its management team on blast.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/ ... ed-at-wood

You’d think that after the last guy lost his job over a leaked email that Brad would be much more careful about what he puts in writing…

The Painted Horse

Re: WUD T-Vee Speling Errers

Post by The Painted Horse » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 am

Is anyone surprised this email was written by a guy named Brad? 🙄

Happy to be out of the TV News biz.

BlackandGoldNews

Post by BlackandGoldNews » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:53 am

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't WWMT so good for them!

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:30 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:04 am
Well that’s embarrassing when your boss calls you out for not knowing how to spell.

It’s even more embarrassing when the email is passed along to FTV Live to put the entire station and its management team on blast.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/ ... ed-at-wood

You’d think that after the last guy lost his job over a leaked email that Brad would be much more careful about what he puts in writing…
Asking that his staff not make dumb mistakes worthy of markets like Lansing is something he should be embarrassed by?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:23 pm

I agree with you, Graham. I think it's great he is taking people to task for sloppiness.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 pm

Real leaders inspire… not shame their staff. I’m sure there are people who would love to suck up to their boss. I’m offended by his enail’s tone and would rather him donate the money. That way I wouldn’t be stuck in the same bar making idle chit chat with Brad.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:25 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 pm
Real leaders inspire… not shame their staff. I’m sure there are people who would love to suck up to their boss. I’m offended by his enail’s tone and would rather him donate the money. That way I wouldn’t be stuck in the same bar making idle chit chat with Brad.
Fortunately you are no longer in the industry.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:11 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 pm
I suspect you and the "A day in the life of a Twitter employee" girl have a lot in common.

https://twitter.com/RE_MarketWatch/stat ... 0264781824

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:43 pm

Nothing wrong with that email. Spelling, grammar and punctuation errors are running rancid in the media, including newspapers. As a recently retired news editor, I am sickened by it. :barf

However, Brad should know that when you use "between," it should read 7 and 8 p.m. From 7-8 p.m. would be correct, or between 7 and 8 p.m.

Doktor No

Post by Doktor No » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Now if they would fine every on screen personality that doesn't PRONOUNCE the T in the middle of a word...as in SparTan and not sparen, mounTain and not mou-in and waTer and not wah-er...the list goes on. It seems generational as the younger ones seem to do it..are they lazy or are they tongue tied?

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:51 pm

It is generational... but, it is related to an ever-evolving progression of how English is spoken in this country, always cutting corners, linguistically speaking. It appears to be more common with younger, female speakers. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, just look up "t-glottalization".
Doktor No wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:29 pm
Now if they would fine every on screen personality that doesn't PRONOUNCE the T in the middle of a word...as in SparTan and not sparen, mounTain and not mou-in and waTer and not wah-er...the list goes on. It seems generational as the younger ones seem to do it..are they lazy or are they tongue tied?

Radiodaze

Post by Radiodaze » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:23 am

Don’t forget about the news readers who have decided words like STREET and STRONG are pronounced as SHTREET and SHTRONG.
It doesn’t sound professional. I’ve even heard these pronunciations on the national networks.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:18 am

What irks me is the number of people who don't know how to pronounce Double-You.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

Let’s see how Brad’s passive aggressive emails aimed at shaming newsies into spelling good is going…

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/ ... er-for-you

Let’s see if that results into another email diatribe. If it does, you can bet the email will again leak.

You know there’s something really wrong when the GM and constantly changing news directors just can’t seem to get the support and trust of their employees to the point where they’d rather seek out FTV Live to air the dirty laundry.

I think Brad is on borrowed time now…

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:43 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am
Let’s see how Brad’s passive aggressive emails aimed at shaming newsies into spelling good is going…

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/ ... er-for-you

Let’s see if that results into another email diatribe. If it does, you can bet the email will again leak.

You know there’s something really wrong when the GM and constantly changing news directors just can’t seem to get the support and trust of their employees to the point where they’d rather seek out FTV Live to air the dirty laundry.

I think Brad is on borrowed time now…
How would you recommend he encourage basic spelling skills? Should he send out a nice "pretty please" email asking them, if they don't mind, to do their job well?

The fact that an employee would rather air the dirty laundry is an indictment on that employee, not the boss. They are more concerned that their boss hurt their feelings and not so much about advertising to the industry the fact that they can't handle basic skills.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic