Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Portage tornado

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
format this

Portage tornado

Post by format this » Mon May 13, 2024 6:02 pm

I am surprised no one has posted about this, even though it was talked about in the Detroit section. All TV in the area went above and beyond to cover the situation. Now here’s something that may shock you: WKZO 590 AM was live through the event, and took live phoners discussing damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

BlackandGoldNews

Re: Portage tornado

Post by BlackandGoldNews » Tue May 14, 2024 10:57 am

WOOD TV was on top of the tornadoes from the get go. Coverage was significantly better than the other stations IMO.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm

Fox 17's coverage, streamed on YouTube, was disappointing. Their radar imagery is lower resolution than all other local stations, and the meteorologists seldom if ever mentioned the Portage tornado was large & spotter confirmed.

George on 13 seemed out of it at times; Blake Hansen did a great job, though. I will give George credit for describing the various NWS tornado warning tags in scale-like form.

Ellen Bacca and Blake Harms on 8 were excellent throughout, and Keith and his colleague (sorry - don't know his name) on 3 were also very good.

In terms of aftermath coverage, WOOD doesn't fare nearly as well. I saw several stories on WOOD from "green" reporters. It's disappointing WOOD didn't place stronger talent on the story. I'd actually give top marks to WZZM, believe it or not.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm
Fox 17's coverage, streamed on YouTube, was disappointing. Their radar imagery is lower resolution than all other local stations, and the meteorologists seldom if ever mentioned the Portage tornado was large & spotter confirmed.

George on 13 seemed out of it at times; Blake Hansen did a great job, though. I will give George credit for describing the various NWS tornado warning tags in scale-like form.

Ellen Bacca and Blake Harms on 8 were excellent throughout, and Keith and his colleague (sorry - don't know his name) on 3 were also very good.

In terms of aftermath coverage, WOOD doesn't fare nearly as well. I saw several stories on WOOD from "green" reporters. It's disappointing WOOD didn't place stronger talent on the story. I'd actually give top marks to WZZM, believe it or not.
I thought it was strange and a waste of resources that Fox17 brought in all their on-air meteorologists for this storm. It could have easily been handled by one, maybe two (Haleigh and Reece). Reece is still very awkward on air when he has to speak for longer periods of time. There are times when you can hear the other two feeding him lines.

Overall, I thought it was a good broadcast by Fox17. I didn't watch the others this time.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 am

Collin Rogers was the met with Keith been at the station since last fall Collin does weekend mornings. Wood TV did a good like always, WWMT also did a good job as well along with Fox17, I didn't go to WZZM for coverage.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed May 15, 2024 1:05 pm

WSBT 22 had good coverage of the lower parts.

20/20 News

Post by 20/20 News » Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm

WOOD should really be embarrassed by Amanda Porter; not only can she not read, but thinks the oil company Sunoco is pronounced "Sun-Nock-O" (the gas station from which she was reporting). She continues to be such a contrast from WOOD's other professionals I'm shocked she continues to be on air.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 16, 2024 6:34 am

I agree that she is not good at all. I've seen her anchor on the weekend a few times; her enunciation and pacing are both very awkward. She belongs in a much smaller market.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic