Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV meteorologists

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
TC Talks

Re: TV meteorologists

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Anyone here think TV Weather folks are merely entertainment?

Back in the day, I didn't have access to color radar and both Europe and US computer modeling data in the palm of my hand when I want it, everywhere I go. No one needs TV Weather people these days. This means they need to develop "relationships" with viewers. Everything else (like the predicting school closings) just ads some relatable bling to those relationships.

Unless I am missing something, people who actually rely on weather forecasts have more accurate and convenient options these days.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/
Last edited by TC Talks on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:32 pm

andymuskegon wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:58 am
chuck1973 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:19 am
Jason Kragt wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:11 am
sinklair wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:16 am
I’ve been forecasting for longer than Blake has been alive. I’m pretty sure I’m more than qualified to comment on the pseudo science he claims to use to forecast school closings. It’s not a technique that’s scientifically authenticated by any real meteorological accreditation source, Luke the AMS, NWA, etc. it’s not taught in school. It’s just made up. WOOD TV should drop the school closing predictions since it’s wrong more than it’s right.
Or at least they should revamp it. I think it would be OK to do things like assign a percent chance of closure to schools in general or highlight which regions of the viewing area have an elevated risk of closure. The thing that concerned me was seeing a map of specific school districts with specific predictions. They are predicting the judgement calls of specific individuals--namely each district's superintendent--without input from said individuals. Just let them do their jobs without this Blake kid looking over their shoulders. I have no problem with them trying to predict what mother nature decides. I just don't think it is appropriate for them to second guess every superintendent's decision.

Oh, absolutely concurred. Blake Hams just shared this on his Facebook:

"I make school closing predictions by evaluating the conditions and seeing how they'll progress into the morning and beyond. Based on current road conditions, I'd probably predict what I did again. Just misjudged how things would go. I am so appreciative of your support and trust in me, and it's not something I take lightly. I learn from every prediction and this one is no different."

I mentioned this a few posts back. The young man ought to embrace a bit of humility and recognize that forecasting isn't an infallible art. His tendency to dwell on justifying his correctness rather than swiftly moving on to the next forecast comes across as rather presumptuous, if not cocky, to viewers. I harbor doubts about the sustainability of such an approach in the industry. Moreover, I question the propriety of him dabbling in predicting school closures, potentially exerting undue pressure on administrators who may find themselves at odds with a local media outlet's predicted closure. The kid exudes an air of arrogance that may not bode well for his future endeavors.

Adhere to the role of reporting school closings rather than delving into forecasting them, unless, of course, the young man is prepared to personally navigate every school district route and directly evaluate the closures. Let the administrators handle their duties, and broadcast information to assist them. The current approach taken by the young man seems quite absurd.

or, it could be a bunch of old farts on a message board pissing and moaning about "that's not how we did it". if you think critically and strategically, a "prediction" for school closings has one purpose.....drive links and clicks not only for the clicks and shares, but to double whos' looking at school closings. i am not saying i'm all for it, but if blake here originated this idea, i bet nexstar gives him employee of the month parking spot.
+1

If I recall the story, he started doing this in high school as a hobby and transferred it to TV when he got the chance to intern at 8.

Most reasonable people see it for what it is - a prediction. I don't recall hearing one instance where people or organizations changed plans because of it.

People will bitch at school administrators regardless of whether he predicts a snow day or not.

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm

Blake was on Bill's Blog back when you could comment on it before the trolls destroyed it for us all.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:34 am

Honolulublue4life wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Blake was on Bill's Blog back when you could comment on it before the trolls destroyed it for us all.
Trolls? That's Ken Kolker's Orphans to you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic