Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mel Vande Gevel and Jim Francis

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
originalzzmfmjock

Mel Vande Gevel and Jim Francis

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:33 pm

I see where former WGRD and WLAV News director Mel Vande Gevel has passed away on December 6th. One I forgot to mention was his good Friend Jim Francis former program director at WGRD and WLAV also recently passed away on October 13th. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mel, but I remember hearing him doing the news on the radio back in the 60's and 70's. I met Jim for the first time around 6 years ago and he was a really nice guy. He had lots of stories to tell about the Top 40 wars between WLAV and WGRD back in the mid to late 60's. May both of these gentlemen who worked in Grand Rapids during the glory years of Top 40 radio R.I.P.

Trophyhead

Re: Mel Vande Gevel and Jim Francis

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:54 am

Mel was done with his communications role at the Grand Rapids Public Schools when I met him in the early 00's, with the prospect that he join the WOOD Radio news team in a part-time capacity. Great guy, great voice, knew the business but the changes in technology were more than he cared to address. Prayers for those who knew and loved him.

Not the only case where someone who had their time in reel-to-reel gathering, dubbed to cartridges was brought in to see if they could mesh in a slightly modernized newsroom and didn't bite at the offer. Thankfully, Mike Ghering did and was a great co-worker during that time of operations.

Feature/writer

Re: Mel Vande Gevel and Jim Francis

Post by Feature/writer » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:03 am

Am I correct in recalling that Mel had a special needs child? I remembering him doing a TV spot as an advocate for special education.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic