Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WGRD is the new top dog in latest Arbs

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WGRD is the new top dog in latest Arbs

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:27 pm

WGRD is #1 in ages 12+ for the first time in forever.

Other notables:
- WSNX remains abnormally low
- Big 101.3 earned its highest 12+ share to date
- 105.3 Hot FM cracked a 3 share yet again, and Mix 95.7 (I will always like the Channel 95.7 name better) is showing signs of life.
- The Mainstream AC stations racked up another weak showing.
- 91.3 WCSG posted its lowest 12+ share in a while.
- Blunder 107.3's numbers took a dip and are now the worst among all music-based commercial FMs.
- 1340 / 106.1 shows a little life with a 0.6 share.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

GnashManDu

Re: WGRD is the new top dog in latest Arbs

Post by GnashManDu » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm

Whatever they're paying Tommy Carroll isn't enough.

He's managing a monster of a morning show, a heritage signal, and just beat the market dominant country station and commercial free Christian station in a DMA that is ruled by the CRC and rednecks.

Honestly I would be surprised if he doesn't take a better gig at some point. He's a very valuable radio commodity,

I know there aren't many six figure PDs, but if he's not already there TSM should seriously consider it as GRD's revenue potential more than warrants it.

He, Dave Taft, and Brian Wright are the best programmers in the market, by far.

since16

Post by since16 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:29 pm

One trend/book does not mean a pay raise or more stripes. Give it time, it probably will surprise you.
GnashManDu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm

He's managing a monster of a morning show, a heritage signal, and just beat the market dominant country station and commercial free Christian station in a DMA that is ruled by the CRC and rednecks.

Honestly I would be surprised if he doesn't take a better gig at some point. He's a very valuable radio commodity,

I know there aren't many six figure PDs, but if he's not already there TSM should seriously consider it as GRD's revenue potential more than warrants it.

GnashManDu

Post by GnashManDu » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:15 pm

This isn't a one book fluke, Tommy is the first PD in a long time to do this well consistently with GRD. This is just another notch in the belt.

There's a reason they were called IHOP for a long time, because they were dead after 10a.

Tommy has solidified GRDs market position and has kept it near the top for his run, all while making LAV the underdog. No one would have thought that was possible during the JT & Johnny Walker days.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:31 pm

WGRD earned outstanding ratings after KLQ went kaput when JT was there. It's why Detroit came calling. WGRD was commonly top 3 in A25 to 54 in multiple dayparts back then.

Grand Rapids has been a rock-friendly market for decades. GRD's playlist is mediocre at best. They are the only station that plays any contemporary hard rock in a market where the male audience craves that music, so they get some of their AQH share by default.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:36 am

GnashManDu wrote:

PD's who command a six figure salary are generally not on-air. They are too busy doing other things to hold down a daily air shift.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:48 pm

GnashManDu wrote:
Whatever they're paying Tommy Carroll isn't enough

The key word there is potential, the TSM sales team has the worst broadcast conversion rate in the market. They simply aren't good at selling the on-air product, they are lapped by IHM and out hustled by Cumulus while losing out on 'sponsorship' money to WCSG.

They sent a rep to our business last year and and my boss loved GRD and wanted something with Free Beer and Hot Wings. The salesperson kept trying to sell digital ads instead. He ended up declining their offer to do business.

Their PD is worth more with a company that can actually sell the ratings.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:15 pm

Although WGRD is highly ranked I never expected it to be above WCSG and B-93. As I've said before they cover a wide
range of music from new to old. The other thing I noticed is that all of the top ranked stations all went down slightly while
some of the lower ranked stations improved slightly. WBFX did jump to a 3.2% share which is good for I-Heart. Now that
we're into November and it's been three years with their classic hits of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's I do believe they should
stop calling themselves "The New Big 101.3" Also I think "The Fun Hits You Know" should be dropped as their slogan. Not all
of the hits are fun anyway.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:26 am

Dropping stuff like "the New BIG..." and "The Fun Hits..." begs the notion of having someone to do that kind of Work! I haven't been in corporate radio for nearly a decade but would say there ain't no one on site to take up the tasks of brand management.

I hear Michelle McCormick doing evening voice tracking on KLQ, and iHeart Traffic guru Kevin Richards tracking weekends on BIG, so even the morning hosts and other key components have extra obligations to keep the ships afloat.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:26 am
Dropping stuff like "the New BIG..." and "The Fun Hits..." begs the notion of having someone to do that kind of Work! I haven't been in corporate radio for nearly a decade but would say there ain't no one on site to take up the tasks of brand management.

I hear Michelle McCormick doing evening voice tracking on KLQ, and iHeart Traffic guru Kevin Richards tracking weekends on BIG, so even the morning hosts and other key components have extra obligations to keep the ships afloat.
and i am paying our exercise gal almost $700 an hour when you look at the time it takes us to record her monthly 4 shows. she's got her 294th show coming out this monday.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:26 am

Kevin Richards may actually have more air time on WCSG during morning/afternoon drive, since his reports air every 15 minutes on that station

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic