Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox 17 morning news expanding

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
dwp49423

Fox 17 morning news expanding

Post by dwp49423 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:02 am

WXMI has been running promos that the weekday Morning News will be on from 5-10 beginning September 11. Currently is on from 4:30-9am. Just saw a Morning Mix promo that its time is changing from 9-10 to 1o-11. With Midday News at 11-12, this will put Fox17 live and local for seven consecutive hours.

I assume the new studio will debut about the same time given that September is also a ratings month.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

Sholmes

Re: Fox 17 morning news expanding

Post by Sholmes » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:35 am

My question is does Grand Rapids really have that much news happening for 7 straight hours? What are they covering that the other two are not?

Seem to me it will just be the same 30 minutes repeated over and over with an infomercial that is made to look like a news report or interview thrown in.

Those interview infomercial are garbage and are never identified as a paid commercial like they should be and should be below the dignity of a true reporter or journalist.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

mr v

Post by mr v » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 am

These are all being done to get more political money during the election, not because anyone wants to watch this nonsense "news" over and over again.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:16 am

The "Morning Mix" doesn't pose itself as news, it's froth through and through, though it has been years since I have seen a sniff of it. Sounds like quite a grind, but welcome to the here and now of local media.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:42 pm

It's also being done because Scripps is too damn cheap to purchase syndicated programming for that time slot. (Regurgitated news is better than infomercials, though!)
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:09 pm

Everyone: "Duurr, I wish stations would air more local content"

Fox 17: "OK, here you go "

Everyone: "huuuuhhh....do we really need more local programming? Where will all the judge shows and trash talk shows go?"

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:07 pm

September isnt a TV Ratings month...November, February and May are...at least they used to be.
You like corn?

ral315

Post by ral315 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:10 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:09 pm

It's not more local content, though. It's the same amount of local content, stretched to fill more time. Sprinkle in a sponsored segment from Service Professor, and you've got yourself 7 hours of microwaved shit.

When I think of more local content, I think of more coverage of local sports. Interviews with local elected officials. Spotlights on small businesses, not whoever paid Scripps/Nexstar/Sinclair the most money for a 7-minute feature in between commercial breaks.

But that costs money, and they'd rather just rake in more money from PAC ads with an election year coming.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:36 pm

craigrussell100 wrote:September isnt a TV Ratings month...November, February and May are...at least they used to be.
True, but it has been the debut month, for the most part, for new fall shows… when there’s no writers’ strike, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:26 pm

ral315 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:10 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:09 pm

It's not more local content, though. It's the same amount of local content, stretched to fill more time. Sprinkle in a sponsored segment from Service Professor, and you've got yourself 7 hours of microwaved shit.

When I think of more local content, I think of more coverage of local sports. Interviews with local elected officials. Spotlights on small businesses, not whoever paid Scripps/Nexstar/Sinclair the most money for a 7-minute feature in between commercial breaks.

But that costs money, and they'd rather just rake in more money from PAC ads with an election year coming.
Probably. Why blow money on such high brow programming such as "We the People With Judge Lauren Lake"? I mean I know it does well in the Deadbeat Trailer Trash 18-34 demographic, but other than selling ads to debt settlement scammers and lawyers, it probably isn't bringing in buckets of advertising cash.

I guess I'm not understanding why we are all lamenting the loss of shitty syndicated programming in favor of local news. I know it's fluff and repeat, but it isn't any worse than the shit it replaces.

Doktor No

Post by Doktor No » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:48 pm

What? TV17 does news? I prefer Parking Wars! Bwahahaha.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:24 pm

Morning Mix is play to pay this screams that Scripps is cheap West Michigan can't handle 7 hours of news which I know isn't meant to be watched by someone for 7 hours more for those that dip in and out of, doesn't matter not going to watch it.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:03 am

Along with the time shift for Morning News also appears to come the elimination of Midday News and Unfiltered. But new is a half hour Scripps News Live at 1pm (going against NBC News Daily). If Unfiltered is counted as news, 17 has eliminated 2 hours of local news and added one.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the 11 oclock news is dropped next. Other than a 5 to 10 minute news segment at the start, it became a repeat slot for Unfiltered with the pm weather cut ins eliminated.
---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:48 pm

It's good that Unfiltered got canceled only watched it a couple of times which I thought was pay for play like Morning Mix. It's Scripps News that is filling that 7PM hour returning Friends at 7PM was the smart move I'm sure that did better than News Feed/Unfiltered Scripps is cheap, and they get to keep the money airing Scripps News. Surprised they are getting rid of Jennifer Hudson as that will air on WXSP at 5PM I don't get why J Hud isn't taking Rachael Rays old timeslot at 2PM on Wood TV, surprised it will be Sherri filling the 2PM timeslot on Wood TV moving from WOTV on Mon.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:01 pm

I thought you were talking about Candace Monacelli's pregnancy.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic