Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielsen Ratings May, 2023

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

Nielsen Ratings May, 2023

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:48 am

The ratings came out for May and again WCSG was number one again and B-93 was number two. Both of them had
an increase in their shares. WCSG jumped to an 8.3% share and B-93 jumped to a7.0% share These top two stations again
dominate the G.R. area market. WGRD surpassed WLAV and that means that WGRD was in third with a 5.6% share which
is what WLAV got also with a 5.6% share. WSNX bounced back to fifth place with a 4.6% share while their sister station WOOD
was the only station in the top ten that decreased and they dropped down to a 4.3% share. Their sister station Star 105.7FM
came in seventh with a 4.3% share and that was up from the dismal 3.8% they had in April. WKLQ (branded as "The Q")
remained with a 3.9% share however they came in eighth now that WSNX has bounced back in to the top five. Those are
the numbers for the top eight stations in the market for May, 2023.

jaywmi

Re: Nielsen Ratings May, 2023

Post by jaywmi » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:35 am

WTNR continues its slide into oblivion. C'mon, put it out of its misery, already.

On the other side of the coin, I continue to be impressed at the "new" WKLQ's run. The on-air product has certainly improved... no longer an exact clone of WQKL, but a bit more tweaked towards classic 80s and 90s alternative, while still having a foot in current product.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:39 pm

That is just a dreadful showing for Blunder.

Magic 104.9 is another station that needs to be put out of its misery. Flip the damn thing back to Urban AC! Better yet - a "throwbacks" format similar to 92.1 in Lansing.

I'm surprised by 94.5's momentum, and I'm also surprised by WFGR's decent jump.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:38 pm

Family life 1073 has a nice ring to it.
or KLove-104.9 maybe even Air1-106.1

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:48 pm

jaywmi wrote:WTNR continues its slide into oblivion. C'mon, put it out of its misery, already.

On the other side of the coin, I continue to be impressed at the "new" WKLQ's run. The on-air product has certainly improved... no longer an exact clone of WQKL, but a bit more tweaked towards classic 80s and 90s alternative, while still having a foot in current product.
The Q and 107one are still stations I will gladly stream, especially now that I’m out of state.

Glad to see it’s doing extremely well there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
take this job and shove it

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:39 pm

Magic 104.9 is another station that needs to be put out of its misery. Flip the damn thing back to Urban AC! Better yet - a "throwbacks" format similar to 92.1 in Lansing.

I'm not surprised. 94.5 is the only station that plays songs that have that "Holy Shit" awesome vibe without being repetitive.

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:25 am

These companies would have already entered the Grand Rapids market, if they wanted to, being that it is highly evangelical.

I just don't see EMF or Family Life trying to tip a toe into the airwaves anytime soon.

There are simply enough popular "Godcasters" in the market already (WCSG, WJQK, Smile-FM, etc)
48125er wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:38 pm
Family life 1073 has a nice ring to it.
or KLove-104.9 maybe even Air1-106.1

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:26 am

I agree. Urban AC would have a much wider appeal in the market.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:39 pm

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Magic's decision to plug in a Compass Show (FBHWs syndication partner) was stupid. The audience has now gotten to know two morning shows that were then taken away from them. Not to mention that Dee Dee is terrible.

I think at this point they really don't know what to do over in that building. Other than GRD hanging on for dear life with their AM drive numbers, nothing seems to be working for them. I wouldn't be surprised if GRD is the only station left with local talent by the end of the year as I saw today that TSM is still making cuts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:18 pm

Yup. They made cuts at New Jersey 101.5, which is probably one of the top 3 billing stations in the whole company.

104.9 should've never dumped Steve Harvey. That was just plain stupid. It would be akin to a news talk station voluntarily dumping Limbaugh 10 or 15 years ago (*cough* WABC *cough*).

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:33 pm

Getting back to the May Nielsen ratings for all 12 and over and without having access to specific demographics on line
this is what I believe is true about the local radio market. First of all with WCSG number one I still say that many people
have and are turning to religion in these crazy times we're in. I think B-93 as the number two station in the market again
demonstrates that people still like the modern country hits that the major record label offices in Nashville, TN are pushing
although I don't. When 93.7 FM flipped to country in 1992 that was when country was great and listeners have remained
loyal to B-93 ever since. With the B-93 Birthday Bash being well attended each June it may be possible for B-93 to tie
or surpass WCSG for number one in the next book. Nobody else could ever compete with B-93 because they are run
well and highly regarded in both the radio and country music industries. The fact that they're the most powerful FM
station in all of Michigan also helps. That's why I say it's insane for Cumulus to continue the "Thunder Country" crap
which only got a 1.5% share.
As far as the rock stations go WGRD as an active rock station covers lots of rock from the newest to as far back as
the hippy era with The Doors. WGRD is the most mass appeal of all of the commercial stations and they deserve to
be number three because of it although I don't like the "Free Beer and Hot Wings" morning show. WLAV which came
in fourth with its classic rock format bounced back from bad books but that's only because they're the only classic
rock station in the market. I still think they need competition badly and only if Town Square would flip that awful
WLHT (which isn't light at all) could that be viable because the other FM stations of Town Square are too weak and
I-Heart in Michigan anyway can't program classic rock well. I-Heart should just continue doing what they do well
including B-93, WSNX that bounced back to number five, WOOD at number six, and Star 105.7 FM that bounced back
up to number seven. I think the newest trend was that WKLQ was number eight and it gave Cumulus another station
besides WLAV that they can brag about. I can't say how they determine what exactly fits their format but never the
less it has a growing audience and the latest trends demonstrate this. That's it for my analysis of the May ratings.

tc

Post by tc » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:36 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:33 pm
First of all with WCSG number one I still say that many people
have and are turning to religion in these crazy times we're in.
Maybe not...
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... n-america/

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:05 pm

WCSG's ratings are only surprising because its got some completion from other stations on the FM dial. WFUR 102.9 and WYAG 89.7 out of Kalamazoo both get good reception in the south end of Kent County where there are multiple Christian HS's. WCSG's brand of Christian radio is clearly what its demographic wants.

Corporate radio is give them what the algorithms and focus groups say want or corporate says that's what a market wants. West MI is has enough of a conservative audience for WOOD AM/FM to stick with their lineups.

Based on 107.3 Thunder continuing to flounder the idea of iHeart going to K-Love syndication is one of the "Couldn't be any worse" decisions. K-Love has stations in Hillsdale, Detroit, Holly, Linden, Flint and Saginaw bit nothing in West MI or Mid Michigan. A polished syndicated package from K-Love could bounce WCSG from its perch.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:08 pm

89.7's tower is near the East Beltline and I-96.

91.3's main competitor is Joy 99.3, not the stations you mentioned.

102.9 plays preaching programs almost the entire day. 89.7 plays Seventh Day Adventist talk programming and traditional hymnal music.

Contemporary Christian music is a much different format (and far more mass appeal) than what WYHA (the former WFUR-FM) and WNHG (the former WAYG) offer. It cross-cumes more with secular music formats than Christian preaching or hymnal music stations.

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:22 pm

Yes, this is right.

CCM (particularly of the CHR/AC style) pretty much has production elements that are on-par with most secular music genres these days.

It is built to appeal to a wide audience, and many can relate to them (there are also a fair number of songs in the CCM genre that address positive or life-relevant topics and may not ever mention God).

Combine this with the fact that "real radio" still is happening on 91.3 (phoners, live presenters, traffic and weather that isn't voicetracked, etc), and it's small wonder it is doing well in the ratings.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:08 pm
89.7's tower is near the East Beltline and I-96.

91.3's main competitor is Joy 99.3, not the stations you mentioned.

102.9 plays preaching programs almost the entire day. 89.7 plays Seventh Day Adventist talk programming and traditional hymnal music.

Contemporary Christian music is a much different format (and far more mass appeal) than what WYHA (the former WFUR-FM) and WNHG (the former WAYG) offer. It cross-cumes more with secular music formats than Christian preaching or hymnal music stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic