Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The B-93Morning Show.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

The B-93Morning Show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:08 pm

I have been listening to my esteemed former colleagues for a week or so. The show is "billed" as 5 to 10. In truth it doesn't really start till 6. Morning drive is well underway by them. Aly Mac fills the news role with "3 Things you should know". They really aren't. Matt follows up with some thing "you should not know". OK then, don't waste my time. Monday's most important thing to know was a weekend brush fire near Graying that was mostly out, no one hurt, and was no big deal to folks in Kent and Ottawa County. I could be wrong, but all three stories seemed to been lifted from the TV 8 website. The three were repeated every 30 minutes all morning,
In fairness Aly is running the board because Matt does his half of the show from his home in Texas. (Has that become commonplace"? ) Still you would have more content if you arrived 30 minutes earlier everyday and did some original writing. Nevertheless. The show's first bit is called "Awesome Sauce" I remember that phrase from a TV commercial not long ago. Yesterday I looked it up.

Awesome Sauce
Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=awe...
awesome sauce is the fluid emitted from the genitals engaged in sexual activity, by either a man or a woman, either during or directly following an orgasm.

That is up there with me calling far right Republicans "Teabaggers" not so long ago. I am still embarrassed. The idea of the bit is is to present an example of some who does some thing good. Monday it was about a guy in Toledo who mows the overgrown Lawns at abandoned homes, mostly for free. Yeah, nice, but don't waste my time. The highlight of the 7am hour was free tickets for birthday bash. Yawn.

At 7:45 today they went commercial free and I went bye bye.

Latest numbers?
WCSG-FM Christian CHR Cornerstone University 8.0 8.3 9.5 8.0
WBCT-FM Country iHeartMedia 8.5 8.1 8.4 6.8

Simply pathetic.

The headliner at bash had a # 2 song 7 years ago. The rest of the lineup has been called "and others" on air. Sad. I don't know anyone who'd pay $129 bucks for a no hit wonder. But that's another days despair.

P.S. The Wood Radio morning show is rocking and news guy Tony was a great find. He is very good.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

georgetownt

Re: The B-93Morning Show.

Post by georgetownt » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm

The good old days of Real Radio. I miss them.... It will never be the same.... What is Neal up to these days?

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:18 pm

He is happily retired living on a quiet lake, I imagine he has re launched his pontoon boat (a cooler with a steering wheel) by now.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm

Truth be told I am so over B93, especially since you left. They just play the same songs over and over. Give us some variety, some semi classic country from maybe the 80s and 90s.

These "local contests" where you call on to win something but do not realize it is the entire country that is calling in just drive me nuts. What is the fun of that.

I remember great contests growing up during the summer like the local stations drive around and hand out $50 or $100 dollars if you had their bumper sticker on your car.

There was also one in Lansing where you went around town to businesses got entry tickets and then listened for your number. Prizes anything from $5 gift card to participate restaurants up to a nee car at the end of the summer.

I miss old local radio that was fun and built loyalty with hosts and the public. Hosts actually worked in the town and did local appearances

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The B-93 Morning Show.

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:48 pm

I've never been that much of a fan of Matt's work on the B93 morning show. He's not bad but he's nothing special, either. Just seems to go through the motions.

I also agree with sholmes that the playlist is unimpressive. I hear too much of what I'd call country pop music or techno-country. Dan + Shay, Sam Hunt, and Morgan Wallen practically every hour.
🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Thunder 107.3 is barely better in the music realm.

I much prefer WITL in Lansing. Even WYCD in Detroit plays a better mix than B93 these days.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:22 am

I agree with the sentiment of having more 80's and 90's country. I feel that covers a very large demographic being ignored. Why would anyone from that age group (GenX) listen to today's country? I think DUKE FM has done things right.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

The Painted Horse

Post by The Painted Horse » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:29 am

Listened for a bit this morning and honestly didn’t think the show sounded all that bad. Agree with MW that it wasn’t anything special but that’s kind of par for the course these days isn’t it? Definitely not my cup of tea but was expecting much worse after reading Reese’s post. At least didn’t hear a bunch of rambling nonsense I’ve heard elsewhere. Radio in general just doesn’t offer much anymore sadly. As far as the music. YUCK! But again I’m not that formats audience so I’m probably not the best judge. Not really sure why anybody wants to work in radio anymore. I was crushed when I lost my part time radio job about 10 years ago but looking back it was the best thing. Glad I got out and got a real job.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 pm

Radio was fun in the '80s. WSNX had the Sunny Money Man handing out cash on the streets of Muskegon. It was real local radio. And many more local promotions that local people actually won. Those were the days, eh?

Freqman

Post by Freqman » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:36 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:08 pm
Latest numbers?
WCSG-FM Christian CHR Cornerstone University 8.0 8.3 9.5 8.0
WBCT-FM Country iHeartMedia 8.5 8.1 8.4 6.8

Simply pathetic.
CSG has often been near the top (or beating) B93, it simply wasn't reported in the commercial ratings prior to the last decade.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic