Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Scott Winters signing off?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
dwp49423

Scott Winters signing off?

Post by dwp49423 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:18 pm

Earlier today Scott Winters posted on his blog that he will be signing off from doing afternoons on WFGR after his March 24 airshift.

Scott says he had been working three jobs (real estate, FedEx plane loading, WFGR) and as a result was diagnosed with exhaustion. Scott didn't say what he will be doing other than he will be working with a co-worker from 20 years ago, and left a paragraph with some possible clues:
Even though I’ll only be working about half the hours I have been working, I’ll still be working a full time job. My new job lets me continue doing something I’m very passionate about, while serving the community and also having the chance to mentor those who share the same passion for radio that I do. It also takes me back to my early broadcasting days from my late teens. I’ll also be working in an old building that I spent a lot of time in during my youth.
but also said he would give more details in a few days.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

handbanana

Re: Scott Winters signing off?

Post by handbanana » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 pm

At some point I imagine it'll just be Free Beer and Hot Wings AI chatbots left in that building.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:40 am

My guess? He's headed to WYCE. Aren't their studios in a former library on GR's west side?

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:24 pm

It's the perfect guess, the studios are indeed there now, and perchance "younger him" spent time at the library, as many kids did back then.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:40 am
My guess? He's headed to WYCE. Aren't their studios in a former library on GR's west side?

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:25 pm

handbanana wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 pm
At some point I imagine it'll just be Free Beer and Hot Wings AI chatbots left in that building.
At some point, There will be no building at all!

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Time to revive and paraphrase an oldie but goodie from the early '80s.....

Last one working on the air in GR for Clownsquare please turn off the lights when you pick up your final paycheck.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:40 am
They (WYCE and GRTV, collectively known as the GR Community Media Center) occupy space on the second floor of GRPL's Westside Branch. And last I knew, Phil Tower was still in his second stint there as WYCE station manager (having returned in January of this year after serving as interim station manager beginning in April 2022).] Phil was PD at WOOD Radio (1999-2008) so he would have worked with Scott there (2003-2010).

One quote I did not use in my original post:
This month an opportunity presented itself for me to work with a former co-worker from over 20 years ago. After a few interviews I was offered the job…and quickly accepted.
seems to confirm this.

I think we cracked this story before News 8 had the chance to be the "first to tell you". :rollin

---

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:17 am

Was going to throw a vaguely worded hint about Phil being the conduit for Scott's new direction out there yesterday. Good luck to all concerned, having worked and supped with both on so many occasions.

Scott should draw the line on chasing Phil a Red Beans and Rice and a Diet Coke from Popeye's, though their Alpine location is a shorter drive from YCE's digs than it was to leave the old MNB building and go down to Division and Burton!

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:49 pm

Scott posted today on his Facebook page on Monday he will start as Operations Manager at WYCE. Nice job sleuths on figuring out where he was going from the hints.

---

MrsWarmth

Post by MrsWarmth » Wed May 31, 2023 12:40 am

WYCE wishes they were as good as The Q 94.5FM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic