Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP Aris Hampers

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

RIP Aris Hampers

Post by Localnewsisdead » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 pm

Per The Intersection's fb page, local radio legend Aris Hampers has passed away. Here is their post:

Very sad to hear the news that Aris Hampers has passed. The entire live music scene in West Michigan has been blessed with his influence, support and enthusiasm. For many of the 12 plus years I would work nights he’d pop in towards the end of the show to say hi to staff and catch the headliner. He was in essence a part of our family here. Countless nights in laughter after we closed the show down. Speechless.

We love you Aris.

Scott Hammontree and The Intersection staff.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Jason Kragt

Re: RIP Aris Hampers

Post by Jason Kragt » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:26 am

Aris changed my life. Part of my decision to move to West Michigan was to be able to listen to the awesome music he introduced to us during his weekday afternoon and weekend shows. Perhaps I would have discovered the likes of Camel, Marillion, Renaissance and so many other progressive-rock bands without him, but probably not. I joined WYCE in an attempt to do the same thing myself--introduce the community to amazing music that corporate radio wasn't playing. I only met him once--delivering a donation to Toys for Tots and getting Marillion's "Seasons End" CD in return. He was one of a kind. He will be missed.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:09 am

The censorship king from out of state.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 pm

I was sorry to hear about Aris and he certainly was a legendary music radio host. If you were in the Grand Rapids area
during 1971 Aris with his band Phlegathon had the number one hit with their song "Last Voyage Home". If my memory serves
me correctly it was number one on all of the top 40 stations in G.R. during that summer. The top 40 stations that were on
the radio back then included WGRD AM & FM, WZZM-FM, and WLAV-AM 1340. Although I can't remember for sure it could
have gotten MOR airplay on WMAX-AM and WOOD-AM because it was a soft song. Anyway, the song was number one
and that was when local hits could compete with national hits if a song was appealing enough to do so. Back when we
we had "Real Oldies" on WGVU-AM that song often came up as did other local hits. If G.R. ever gets an oldies or classic
hits station that goes beyond the corporate playlists this song "Last Voyage Home" should be included in the format.

tc

Post by tc » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:41 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 pm
I was sorry to hear about Aris and he certainly was a legendary music radio host. If you were in the Grand Rapids area
during 1971 Aris with his band Phlegathon had the number one hit with their song "Last Voyage Home".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNTohPyaJo

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:25 pm

Well this was shitty news to wake up to today. Aris was one of the most universally liked talents in the market. It's a shame he was off the air for so many years before losing his voice. I know he was well past it, but I was hoping SOMEONE would bring Rock Search back and he could hand it off.

I actually tuned in to LAV this morning hoping for a tribute but all I heard was guffawing chuckleheads argue about Beyonce on the radio and Tiktok songs. The "Legendary LAV" indeed. Quickly back to XM in the truck.

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:25 pm

What can I say about Aris that hasn't been said or everybody doesn't already know. Probably not much, but here goes.

I first met Aris in 1970. I was just a 17 year old kid working part time at WZZM-FM and he was working with my older brother at a record store in downtown Grand Rapids, Kent One Stop/Record City. In 1970 Uncle Sam came calling for my brother and eventually Aris became the manager of the record store. Long story short in 1974 when Aris went to WLAV full time for the start up of the Album Rock format, he left his job at the record shop and my brother just completing his obligation to Uncle Sam was hired to replace Aris as the manager of Kent One Stop/Record City.

I never worked with Aris during my radio career, he was always at the Album Rock stations while I worked on the Top 40 stations. The last time I heard Aris on the air however was on a station I was working for. Probably around 2013 or 2014 Aris came in to help with one of our pledge drives at Real Oldies 1480/850. He was on the air during the last 2 hours of our week long pledge drive and we weren't anywhere near our goal. On the air that afternoon with Bob Simonson, I heard some of the most compelling radio that I'd heard in years. Aris was spinning stories about his years with his with the Souldbenders/Phlegethon and about his radio career. We collected more pledges during that 2 hour segment than we had during the entire pledge drive and Aris helped us to exceed our goal on that drive. He just had that ability to connect with the listeners and he certainly did that day. A very talented and unique guy who made his presence known in Grand Rapids Music and radio. May Aris Hampers R.I.P.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:45 am

My dad listened to WLAV loyally for a good chunk of the 80's. The only two voices I remember from that era were those of Aris Hampers and Tim Steele.

Even as rock music rapidly evolved during the 90's, I thought Aris still fit KLQ like a glove during his time there. I enjoyed listening to him during afternoon drive, and I also enjoyed his weekly "New Music Review" show.

He made an appearance via phone on the Stern show once, and hearing Howard Stern imitate him was rather amusing.

He brought credibility to upstart 101.3 The Fox, and arguably, I thought his talents were underutilized there.

R.I.P.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm

In reading Aris' biography, am I reading it correctly that, except for his first gig which was in Lansing, he only ever worked at stations in Grand Rapids?

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

tc

Post by tc » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:52 am

dwp49423 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm
In reading Aris' biography, am I reading it correctly that, except for his first gig which was in Lansing, he only ever worked at stations in Grand Rapids?
I believe that is correct, although I'm sure he probably had other out-of-market opportunities. IIRC he was asked or considered to fill in (or replace?) Bob Coburn, host of nationally syndicated show Rockline back in the '90s, but not 100% sure on that.

(edit for clarification)

RockerTim

Post by RockerTim » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:52 pm

I always enjoyed stopping in at Aris' Disc Shop. He loved to talk music and knew so much. As said before, he exposed us to bands or songs that I don't think any other DJ in the area would have. Thank you and rest in peace Aris.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic