Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another victim of Clownsquare budget cuts...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Another victim of Clownsquare budget cuts...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:25 pm

Don't be surprised if 98.7 flips, resulting in the company's nighttime "Ultimate Classic Rock" program being cleared locally.

Under such a scenario, WGRD's Tommy Carroll would presumably add PD duties (or whatever the hell Townsquare calls the job) for 98.7.

Townsquare programs classic rock in Flint (technically, Lapeer), Lansing and Kalamazoo / Battle Creek. Seems logical that Grand Rapids could be next.

The company quietly changed the site description for 98.7's web site several weeks back to "Grand Rapids' Classic Hits & Classic Rock."

Edward_XE

Post by Edward_XE » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Back in November, after Tony Gates had been off of WLAV for several months, WFGR posted a story about his absence on their website. Here's the link: https://wfgr.com/tony-gates-wlav/

Ken Evans wrote the article, which is ironic.

This makes me think maybe WFGR will switch to classic rock.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:46 am

I'm seeing these posts that suggest WFGR will flip from classic hits to classic rock and might hire Tone "The Fun Guy" Gates
as a morning man. I still think he'd be better off on The Big 101.3 FM where the self proclaimed "fun guy" can play "fun hits".
Anyway, if WFGR were to flip to classic rock that would leave G.R. without a classic hits station although The Big 101.3 is
gradually adding more early 80's hits to their playlist. If WFGR flips to classic rock then I would think The Big 101.3 would
add more 80's hits and perhaps would market themselves as the classic hits station.
In earlier posts I have suggested that WLAV needs good classic rock competition but the problem of WFGR being that
competition has it's limits namely that WLAV is a 50,000 watt FM and WFGR is only a 3,000 watt FM. The only way a weaker
station could compete with WLAV is if they play some good classic rock that isn't heard very often on WLAV or perhaps
never on WLAV. Also at night they must have a live and local host to go up against that Steve Gorman who isn't in G.R.
that all of the Cumulus classic rock stations in the Midwest run weeknights. I'm not sure if Clownsquare could pull it off
and perhaps they could consider flipping that awful WLHT which isn't even light music anymore. With the power of
WLHT that would be a better dial position for a competing classic rock station. I think that's a better idea and also I
think Clownsquare could flip either WFGR or "The River" to whatever AM 1410 and the repeater 104.9 is because G.R.
could use an Urban Contemporary or an Urban Adult Contemporary full powered FM commercial station.

Big-D

Post by Big-D » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:54 pm
I just read Townsquare cancelled its nighttime syndicated show for the Classic Hits format. Distribution will cease in a few weeks. I believe GR was the largest market where that show aired.

Format change ahead for WFGR?
Considering that JoJo is gone and now Winters is leaving, I think it’s going to happen. I had a suspicion about a format change after JoJo’s departure. So what’s the next format for them?

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Sounds like Clownsquare is ruining the Grand Rapids cluster, just like they've done with Flint.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Townsquare Media is owned by Oaktree Capital Management and Madison Square Garden company. No broadcasters here.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:34 pm

The thing I primarily listen to WFGR for is the Friday night '80s show, particularly the AT40 reruns on Sundays. No doubt those will be toast if the speculation here is correct. Though I could easily see Star 105.7 picking up the AT40 reruns, since they're syndicated by Premiere. Their sister station WNIC in Detroit runs AT40 '80s on Sunday mornings. It'd be neat to see the '70s shows picked up by Big 101.3 too.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:45 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:45 pm
Sounds like Clownsquare is ruining the Grand Rapids cluster, just like they've done with Flint.
Isn't Grand Rapids their largest market? I think I remember seeing somewhere that GR is their largest market and now they only have a handful of local jocks outside of FB&HW in a cluster with four full-power FMs and an AM with an FM translator.

EmanResu

Post by EmanResu » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:24 pm

Long time listener, first time caller.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but Thursday FGR sported a "new" morning show. I heard them running announcements on Wednesday. They added James Rabe from 6-9. A quick google showed that he was let go back in January from Y105 out of Rochester, MN (ironically also a Townsquare). The FGR website still lists The Captain on the right side under meet the DJ's, but not in the DJs drop down menu. Of course, they still show The JoJo Show listed on the listen live pop-up window. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know right there.

I'm day three into this and so far I'm not enthusiastic. Every 7 minutes there is a new "Hey, comment on the app about some mindless topic that I randomly thought of." Then there's the worst of the worst dad jokes. At least they didn't just carbon copy the local dismal syndicated tripe.

I miss Rick, Darla, and Scott in the mornings.

mjb1124

Post by mjb1124 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:17 pm

Rabe was also the host of Townsquare's national "Night Shift" show (which WFGR carried) for the last few months before it was cancelled.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic