Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:52 pm

Tony Gates to WFGR?

If his non-compete period from contract expiration is six months, that period will expire very soon.

radionut

Post by radionut » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:52 pm
Tony Gates to WFGR?

If his non-compete period from contract expiration is six months, that period will expire very soon.
I think it’s up March 1st.

Edward_XE

Post by Edward_XE » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 am

Here's a topic which, after 20 years of lurking, finally got me to create an account and make a post.

Listening to a no-name voice-tracked personality talk about funny gender reveal party stories, and then encouraging me to read more about them on "our station app", is not entertaining to me. At least JoJo talked about local topics, took calls from people, and was funny. WFGR's insistence on using voice-tracking to go along with their stale playlist makes Spotify look more appealing to me.

Before JoJo was at WFGR, I liked listening to Andy O'Reily. The best thing about Andy's show was sometimes he would deviate from the playlist, and play songs like Ace Frehely's "Rip it Out", " and "New York Groove." Probably the one and only time I heard a song new to me on WFGR was when Andy played "Salt in my Tears", by Martin Briley. I never heard it, or Martin Briley, before hearing in on WFGR. Thanks for playing it, Andy!

Ed

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm

Townsquare just cancelled its national classic hits format evening show; it will stop airing in mid-February. Grand Rapids was the largest market that cleared the show, I believe.

Lame, unbranded voicetracking to follow, or could this be a sign of an upcoming format change when paired with the fact JoJo and Ken Evans were both cut loose?

I smell a flip to classic rock, perhaps?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm
If they are flipping stations to Classic Rock, radio is indeed dead.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 pm

WFGR played a lot of classic rock when it first transitioned from oldies to classic hits years ago.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:28 pm

Could 98.7 flip to a near-clone of 102.5/104.9 in Kzoo/Battle Creek? It is different enough from Magic 104.9, which is straight-up Hip Hop nowadays.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:56 am

I'd love for the GR market to get Urban AC on a good FM signal.

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:04 pm

If they did flip to Classic Rock, would they eliminate it from WGRD and lean that more in a KPNT-like direction? (If only...)

But, more realistically... I would assume WFGR just keeps it "steady as she goes" for the time being. Nothing exciting ever seems to happen in Grand Rapids radio...
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm
Townsquare just cancelled its national classic hits format evening show; it will stop airing in mid-February. Grand Rapids was the largest market that cleared the show, I believe.

Lame, unbranded voicetracking to follow, or could this be a sign of an upcoming format change when paired with the fact JoJo and Ken Evans were both cut loose?

GnashManDu

Post by GnashManDu » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:14 am

whitebalance wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:17 pm
Townsquare Media. Media not. Ownership

Oaktree Capital Management and The Madison Square Garden Company
No wonder.
Yep, plus isn't the General Manager out of Audacy in Detroit? You hire a guy from one of the monoliths and they'll start cutting salaries ASAP to protect their bonus. If I'm anyone other than Free Beer and Hot Wings I'm looking over my shoulder every quarter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic