Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Real Oldies is back

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
originalzzmfmjock

Real Oldies is back

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:29 pm

For those of you who may care, and I know not everybody does, but Real Oldies is back. Not on terrestrial radio but on the internet. Real Oldies Music Radio is up and running. Bob Becker is hosting the mid day shows on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-3pm. The West Michigan top 40 countdown show will soon be returning in the Sunday afternoon 3-5pm slot. Eventually several well known Grand Rapids radio personalities will be filling air shifts during the week and weekends. It is available on the web at Real Oldies Music Radio Live 365. Also available via apps and on Alexa and other devices. If you are interested in the Real Oldies format, please consider giving it a listen. Thanks.

bugzapper

Re: Real Oldies is back

Post by bugzapper » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:55 pm

I, for one, am happy to hear familiar voices and great music from a vast library of music that has no equal. Thank you everyone at Real Oldies Music Radio!!

https://live365.com/station/Real-Oldies ... dio-a67594

https://www.facebook.com/groups/405850245013119

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:59 am

Although I applaud my real oldies friends for starting up a non terrestrial "Real Oldies" I would have rather had the
Cumulus people back in January after the demise of AM 1480 and AM 850 return 107.3 FM to WODJ oldies with these
wonderful legendary radio announcers. Even without those guys an oldies station that has music from the fifties
and through the seventies would offer a good variety of hits for the 65 and over demographic that does have more
spending power than what the older people are given credit for by the big media companies. Besides that as I said
before it would be better for 107.3 FM to return to WODJ oldies rather than to continue with "Blunder Country" who
offers nothing different musically than B-93.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 am

Greg, I am not being an antagonist, but do you honestly think there's enough know how left in the industry to successfully program a real oldies format successfully with current ownership of FM? I think they have painted themselves into a corner so bad with lack of talent and programmers that Gary and Bob are doing exactly the right thing, but I do worry about their ability to migrate an audience. It's been a challenge for us.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:15 am

andymuskegon wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 am
Greg, I am not being an antagonist, but do you honestly think there's enough know how left in the industry to successfully program a real oldies format successfully with current ownership of FM? I think they have painted themselves into a corner so bad with lack of talent and programmers that Gary and Bob are doing exactly the right thing, but I do worry about their ability to migrate an audience. It's been a challenge for us.
I used to think the 70 plus crowd is going to stick with radio but thanks to Alexa, if your station is on popular aggregates like TuneIn you'll have a great audience. My dad listens to everything through his Alexa and he's 88 years old.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:15 am
andymuskegon wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 am
I used to think the 70 plus crowd is going to stick with radio but thanks to Alexa, if your station is on popular aggregates like TuneIn you'll have a great audience. My dad listens to everything through his Alexa and he's 88 years old.
The over 70 crowd would stick with radio IF there was music on the air they wanted to listen to. These days, we now have alternatives.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Maybe it's Muskegon, the lack of adaptation here is real....but I can't get an audience to stick with Muskegon Channel Radio to save my life. Maybe it's our lack of cume building but the way the website and video perform compared to the rock leaning classic hits thing we have....it's unreal

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Regarding viability of Oldies on FM and Greg's suggestion for 107.3 to flip to such a format, all I can say is - not gonna happen.

101.3 WBFX is already playing mostly 60s and 70s oldies, and that in and of itself is a miracle for a 50 kW signal in this day & age.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:13 pm
Regarding viability of Oldies on FM and Greg's suggestion for 107.3 to flip to such a format, all I can say is - not gonna happen.

101.3 WBFX is already playing mostly 60s and 70s oldies, and that in and of itself is a miracle for a 50 kW signal in this day & age.
How is BFX with ratings?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:55 am

No idea in terms of demos advertisers care about.

In 12+, they've been averaging mid 2's.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:20 pm

If you can pick it up, try Cool 101 (100.9) out of Allegan/K'zoo. Musically, they're the closest thing to Real Oldies on the traditional dial in the immediate GR area. Not quite as deep, but they're the only place you're going to hear pre-Beatles music without an Internet connection.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:09 am

I remember hearing a promo coming out from a break in 2004 or 2005 on Kool that they weren't going to play 80's music as they said that oldies were only the 50s, 60s, & 70s and said they wouldn't ever play 80s music a few years ago I did hear Olivia Newton-John it was a countdown from 1981. I only listen to Kool in the car with my stepdad if that is the station he's listening to.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:57 pm

I just installed the app from the Google Play Store. Cool station, I love it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic