Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Happy Pulaski Days and Polka Radio

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

Happy Pulaski Days and Polka Radio

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:12 am

I want to say Happy Pulaski Days to all of the Polish Americans because we're into the Pulaski Days here in Grand Rapids.
This tradition is celebrated in all of the Polish Halls in G.R. and with a Saturday Morning Parade. WYGR-AM and Jethro FM
is where polkas are found on the radio each weekend and they play an active roll in the celebration. My friends from the
old community radio station WEHB and WJPW who I worked with at both stations helped create this wonderful event.
My friends I'm talking about are Ernie Pierogi and Jerry Golumbki who used to host Polka Pops on both stations. They
used to have a float in the annual Pulaski Days Parade and were loved in the Polish community.
Because of the two stations that they were on as well as me were both declining that was what resulted in them
moving The Polka Pops to WYGR-AM 1530 where it stayed on the radio. Ernie died in February of 1998 and Jerry died
in February of 1999. Those guys were lots of fun both on the air and in person. Eventually WYGR started their repeater
on 94.9 FM which became known as "Jethro FM" where Polka Pops still goes on and it was Ernie Pierogi and Jerry Golumb-
ki who made it all possible. Those guys will continue to go down in Grand Rapids radio history as legends in radio.
Long live Ernie Pierogi and Jerry Golumbki and Happy Pulaski Days to all Polish Americans locally and all polka fans.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic