Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

August Radio Ratings

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:51 pm

The August Nielsen ratings have come out and here is my commentary along with the numbers. The non commercial
Christian station from Cornerstone University WCSG is number one once again and more popular than any commercial
station including B-93. WCSG jumped up to a 9.3% share. This demonstrates that more people are turning to religion.
B-93 came in number two with a 6.6% share. Although B-93 is well established and is professionally run with the
modern major label country hits (unlike their pseudo competition ) it's not in the double digits like it was a few years
ago. If B-93 only got a 6.6% share in both July and August that shows there is no growth in the audience. Because of
that I believe it's one more reason why their pseudo competition "Thunder Country" should flip to either old country
or a non country format. Thunder Country dropped from a 1.2% share in July to a 1.0% share in August.
I-Heart also had the number three station with their Top 40/CHR station WSNX and they had a 5.6% share. They
beat their competition "Hot FM" also owned by Cumulus who only had a 2.9% share. The number four station was
the active rock station WGRD with a 5.4% share. WGRD is Town Square's best station and they really are the rock
station of GR because they play new rock and they go as far back as the hippy era (mid 60' s to the mid 70's)
such as Jimi Hendrix and Black Sabbath. WGRD appeals to a wide audience from the teens of today to the original
hippies who remember Jimi Hendrix and Black Sabbath. They deserve to be number four for sure.
WOOD with news, talk, and sports got a 5.3% share and will always be the "News Leader" of GR. The Classic Rock
station WLAV was number six with a 4.9% share. That was the number for July too. WLAV needs some good Classic
Rock competition especially at night against that Steve Gorman who isn't live and local as WLAV use to always say
I wish somebody would compete against WLAV because I think they're beatable if somebody would offer to compete
with WLAV.
I could say some things about the rest of the stations on the list but I do stand by my commentary on the top
six stations and their losing competitors. I would like to hear if anyone has any comments regarding the Grand
Rapids area August Nielsen ratings.

format this

Re: August Radio Ratings

Post by format this » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Since Greg won’t post it, here’s the link: https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Cumulus is failing except for WLAV
NO ONE is listening to 107.3 or 106.1/1340, WKLQ is sounding stale to me nowadays.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:19 pm

Heck, 106.1/1340 is losing to Joy Worship and WTKG (whose only FM presence is on 96.1 HD2)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:48 pm

What really grabbed my eye was how much WLHT sunk. The Q is definitely on a downward trend, too.

WTNR is approaching all time record worst numbers for 107.3 MHz in Grand Rapids.

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 am

The Q: I agree, definitely sounds stale - predictably the same every day, every time, a bit slow on adding or dropping currents. They should revamp the bumpers (maybe get rid of that dopey-sounding voiceover guy), they should mix up the music a bit more. It would be pretty crazy, but I really think they should try something in a similar vein to St. Louis' KPNT. Ratings would rise, it would lop shares off of WGRD, it would "rhyme" with the old WKLQ.

107.3: Any lower and it will be the ratings they got when they were under the old ownership before WODJ (WPLB, as I recall). Something's gotta give there, and soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm

I think a relaunch of hard rock with Detroit's Dave & Chuck in mornings might make for a compelling listen.

I like what Alpha is doing in Saginaw with its 106.3.

Cumulus already has a near clone of KPNT in the form of 105.1 KCJK in Kansas City. That station hasn't performed great due in part to relying on a morning show from Los Angeles and due in larger part to KQRC.

I will say many Cumulus active rockers play too much dinosaur butt rock for my liking. WNNX in Atlanta is the worst of that group.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:11 pm

Yeah, I don't find myself listening to the Q that much whenever I'm out that way now. Kinda wonder if the peeps in Ann Arbor are slacking on it; 107one doesn't sound nearly as stale and the reads from their VO sound a lot more energetic compared to his arguably sleepier ones on the Q.

I'd say Jack-FM and Michigan Radio/NPR get a majority of my listening time when I'm on that side of the state.

take this job and shove it

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm still in awe that people still listen to terrestrial radio... with all the options of Satellite Radio.... I can't live without SiriusXM... No commercials, no losing stations when driving...

tc

Post by tc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:20 pm

BirdieKingBobo wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm
I'm still in awe that people still listen to terrestrial radio... with all the options of Satellite Radio.... I can't live without SiriusXM... No commercials, no losing stations when driving...
I'll take the quality of OTA (most stations) over streaming any day. Of course, there's the commercials, but no subscription fee. I also like listening to stations I've never heard before when travelling, even just going "up north", there's a different feel to the stations. But of course, to each their own.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:18 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:11 pm
Yeah, I don't find myself listening to the Q that much whenever I'm out that way now. Kinda wonder if the peeps in Ann Arbor are slacking on it; 107one doesn't sound nearly as stale and the reads from their VO sound a lot more energetic compared to his arguably sleepier ones on the Q.

I'd say Jack-FM and Michigan Radio/NPR get a majority of my listening time when I'm on that side of the state.
Are you serious? I would swear the guy just smoked a joint of indo before doing the reads on 107one!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:22 pm

I bet far religious right wing BBN 102.9 and strong tower 89.7 get 3x more listeners than 107.3 does

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm

Very doubtful.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm
Very doubtful.
being how 99.3 and 91.3 smoked so many stations out i wouldn be surprised if 102.9 cracked at least a 2 Share. WFUR 92.9 would i guess maybe a 1.5

107.3 would make a great signal for for KLove or Air1 to go on.

89.7 prolly a 1.2 too.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:20 pm

WFUR-FM at 102.9 was usually between a 0.5 and 1.0 share in its final years on the air and had very low cume. The new programming (BBN) is probably of much narrower appeal than the old programming. Who the heck wants to listen to church sermons on the radio 24/7?

There aren't many folks in West Michigan who are Seventh Day Adventists (89.7), although I will say I find 89.7's programming to be more accessible to "normal people" than that found on 102.9 these days.

WCSG sounds like a high budget radio station with good air talent, good production and service elements, tons of workplace friendly music, and minimal long-form talk.

The programming on 102.9 and 89.7 is a completely different format from what's found on 91.3 and 99.3.

The pecking order for Christian radio in GR is generally WCSG in first place by leaps and bounds, then WJQK (whose long term average is somewhere between a 2 and 2.5 share), then WGNB (who is usually around a 1.0 to 1.5 share). Interestingly, WGNB / Moody Radio seems to have abandoned nearly all music from its lineup, with the possible exception of morning drive.

With Smile FM now having a much better signal than before at 99.9, it'll be interesting to see if either 91.3 or 99.3 are bumped down a notch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic