Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
thatonedude

Re: August Radio Ratings

Post by thatonedude » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:18 pm
thatonedude wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:11 pm
Yeah, I don't find myself listening to the Q that much whenever I'm out that way now. Kinda wonder if the peeps in Ann Arbor are slacking on it; 107one doesn't sound nearly as stale and the reads from their VO sound a lot more energetic compared to his arguably sleepier ones on the Q.

I'd say Jack-FM and Michigan Radio/NPR get a majority of my listening time when I'm on that side of the state.
Are you serious? I would swear the guy just smoked a joint of indo before doing the reads on 107one!
Hey, maybe he snorted a line too before some of them :lol:

You want a laid-back VO? Listen to Jack-FM in Kalamazoo; Howard Cogan sounds damn near obliterated doing his reads compared to the 107one/Q guy. Then again, Jack is supposed to give off a "slacker dude" kind of feel from what I know, so it works pretty well.

take this job and shove it

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:20 pm
WFUR-FM at 102.9 was usually between a 0.5 and 1.0 share in its final years on the air and had very low cume. The new programming (BBN) is probably of much narrower appeal than the old programming. Who the heck wants to listen to church sermons on the radio 24/7?

There aren't many folks in West Michigan who are Seventh Day Adventists (89.7), although I will say I find 89.7's programming to be more accessible to "normal people" than that found on 102.9 these days.

WCSG sounds like a high budget radio station with good air talent, good production and service elements, tons of workplace friendly music, and minimal long-form talk.

The programming on 102.9 and 89.7 is a completely different format from what's found on 91.3 and 99.3.

The pecking order for Christian radio in GR is generally WCSG in first place by leaps and bounds, then WJQK (whose long term average is somewhere between a 2 and 2.5 share), then WGNB (who is usually around a 1.0 to 1.5 share). Interestingly, WGNB / Moody Radio seems to have abandoned nearly all music from its lineup, with the possible exception of morning drive.

With Smile FM now having a much better signal than before at 99.9, it'll be interesting to see if either 91.3 or 99.3 are bumped down a notch.
I was joking about 102.9 - 89.7 having more listeners than 107.3 but KLoVe would give 91.3 some good competition if that was on 107.3
102.9 and 89.7 are wastes of good signals blunder is a bigger waste

LongIsland

Post by LongIsland » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:53 am

I'm not so sure people are turning more to religious radio. Like Metalhead said, WCSG is just that good with on-air talent, music, etc. Has been for years.

Will Smile FM's better 99.9 signal make a difference? Not really. Tracked with nice voices but little content. It'll take a fair amount of marketing in GR, better signal and more care to programmign to make a dent, esp if CSG continues to do what it does in community presence.

K-Love? Always possible they could come to the market; it's only a matter of time. K-Love (with over 900 signals I believe) has bigger fish to fry now that they're in New York, Chicago, and Detroit, and making inroads into other platforms. Interestingly, GR is one of less than 10 top 100 markets where there is no K-Love is. Based on K-Love's current SOP and with CSG and Joy99's strong presence with a similar format, K-Love isn't nec looking to come to GR, but neither will it turn down an offer to buy or trade for a signal. In my opinion, it'll do a little dent, but not much since it's network radio.

As for 102.9 and 89.7, I don't see a lot of conservative right flocking to them as they're probably too conservative even for MAGA.

And, revisiting July's discussion on AC Christian radio, Hankrotten's comment that the format has some smart programmers is, in my opinion, spot on. These stations hitting #1/consistent top #3 in their markets - KSBJ/Houston, WGTS/D.C., KTIS/St Paul, JOY-FM/St Louis, JOY-FM (different owner)/Tampa, KSOS/Vegas, Z88/Orlando, WCSG/Grand Rapids - may be "religious," but (imo) that's not the attraction. Encouragement presented with professionalism and authenticity in an engaging manner without shoving Jesus down your throat... nothing wrong with that. That's winner winner chicken dinner.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:40 pm

EMF could pull a Northern Michigan and buy a signal to use for Air1 so they wouldn't go directly H2H with WCSG.

Speaking of WCSG, I actually listen to them on my way home from work as they have traffic every 15 minutes (at :00, :15, :30, and :45 past each hour). How often do the other stations do traffic?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic