Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

the old WJPW-AM 810

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Feature/writer

the old WJPW-AM 810

Post by Feature/writer » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:33 pm

There's still a "stick" up there on 810-AM's old 10 Mile Rd. NE site, (west of Rockford) as well as the cinder block building built into the hillside. I assume that something on that site is still in use? (doesn't look like much).
That's getting to be a pricey piece of real estate as there is almost continuous development on 10Mile between Rockford and US 131... Status???

andymuskegon

Re: the old WJPW-AM 810

Post by andymuskegon » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:43 pm

i went there and tried to audition to be a news reporter when i was 16 because it was on the same road i grew up on. the guy aske me to write a story and make it my own. i used the term "hot water heater" and he told me i would never go anywhere because if the water was already hot, it wouldn't need to be heated. i guess he wins.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:06 pm

AM 810 should still be broadcasting, as it is the feeder station (or at least is supposed to be the feeder station) for La Poderosa 93.3 FM.

I've not scanned the AM dial on that side of the state in many months.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:56 am

I listen to some feathery AM signals as I travel 131 morning and afternoon, I can check out 810 kHz today. "Boomer" was the guy's on-air name I recall from some scattershot programming formerly offered on that signal, before it went Hispanic. Can't remember if he was a sports talk show host, an odd-job broadcaster, or what.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:13 am

810 is indeed still on the air from that stick on 10 mile road and is the originating signal for the 93.3 translator. In fact 810 is quite frequently on the air 24 hours a day, even though it is still licensed as a day time station.

Feature/writer

Post by Feature/writer » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:15 am

Yes, the 810AM signal is still booming out there. My question pertained to the station's original site on 10 Mile Rd. NE.
Is the tower there still operational, or are they using a different tower elsewhere? (unsure where their studios are). There is an abandoned look to that site, currently.
Is this a case where the land is as valuable as the station/frequency? That spelled doom for WGVU-AM's 850 and 1480.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:30 am

That's what I figure I can determine by passing west of Rockford, since the TX used to interfere with much of the AM spectrum as I got to the Exit 97 interchange.

I haven't looked up on the rise while heading into Rockford recently, but your assessment of its upkeep holds with what's gone on for decades. There was a thread about how they had a porta-potty for the workers who were on site when it last served as a broadcast location.

tc

Post by tc » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:08 pm

andymuskegon wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:43 pm
i used the term "hot water heater" and he told me i would never go anywhere because if the water was already hot, it wouldn't need to be heated.
My dad used to get irritated when people said "ATM Machine."

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:07 pm

As far as what I can find online, the tower location is the same as it always was. In the mid 1990s, they increased power from 500 watts to 3600 watts.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:15 pm

For about a year in the 1980's I worked at WJPW. I also volunteered at what was then a low powered, all volunteer,
and mono community radio station called WEHB. There were a few of us that worked both stations in the 1980's. The
most famous of them all were the Polka Pops hosts Ernie Pierogi and Jerry Golumbki who eventually moved to WYGR
upon the downfall of both stations. Ernie and Jerry paved the way for the current Polka Pops hosts on WYGR and now
Jethro FM. When October comes and Pulaski Days are celebrated at all of the Polish halls in G.R. one should consider
that Ernie and Jerry as well as others in the Polish community helped create this annual celebration held every year
on the first full weekend of October. When Ernie and Jerry were alive the Polish community and the polka scene was
hopping and happening in G.R. Although both of my friends died in the late 1990's Pierogi and Golumbki still live on
in the Polish community and as legendary polka radio hosts.

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:23 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:15 pm
For about a year in the 1980's I worked at WJPW. I also volunteered at what was then a low powered, all volunteer,
and mono community radio station called WEHB. There were a few of us that worked both stations in the 1980's. The
most famous of them all were the Polka Pops hosts Ernie Pierogi and Jerry Golumbki who eventually moved to WYGR
upon the downfall of both stations. Ernie and Jerry paved the way for the current Polka Pops hosts on WYGR and now
Jethro FM. When October comes and Pulaski Days are celebrated at all of the Polish halls in G.R. one should consider
that Ernie and Jerry as well as others in the Polish community helped create this annual celebration held every year
on the first full weekend of October. When Ernie and Jerry were alive the Polish community and the polka scene was
hopping and happening in G.R. Although both of my friends died in the late 1990's Pierogi and Golumbki still live on
in the Polish community and as legendary polka radio hosts.
You mentioned WEHB. Did that station ever have an oldies show around 1980 called "Southstreet"?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:46 pm

I think I remember WEHB. Did they used to broadcast at 89.9 FM?

Could barely pick up the station in Wyoming.

After that station left the airwaves, Cornerstone University purchased the license, I believe. It then broadcasted traditional hymnal music for a spell before becoming Christian CHR as WAYG.

Edit: the station I'm thinking of is actually WBYW. Did WEHB precede it, or was it a predecessor to WBLU?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:46 pm
I think I remember WEHB. Did they used to broadcast at 89.9 FM?

Could barely pick up the station in Wyoming.

After that station left the airwaves, Cornerstone University purchased the license, I believe. It then broadcasted traditional hymnal music for a spell before becoming Christian CHR as WAYG.
I think you are right about the frequency. I only heard the show once which happened to be their last, and the group of guys doing the show was really vocal about its demise. They played one song that, if it was not determined to be their last show beforehand, definitely would have gotten it canceled for sure afterward. I'm not sure why the show was ending, they played some great songs that night but the guys were really off the wall. I managed to record about 45 minutes of it on my trusty AM/FM radio with a built-in cassette recorder. I converted it to an mp3 file for my listening pleasure :blink

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:41 am

WEHB History Card, Later it changed frequency to upgrade. Sold and the thread of its History became confusing. Now WNHG.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=70272

WGNR was originally 9 watts on 88.9. Then it upgraded to 3000 watts. Sold to Blue Lake and became WBLU.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=70338

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:52 am

Thanks!

WEHB --> WBYW --> WAYG --> WNHG.

When I first heard the station, the TX had already been moved to the Plainfield / Northland Dr. area. I do not know if it was omni or directional from that site. I just know that the signal was awful in the south suburbs!

I miss the former WaY-FM 89.9. Wasn't a big fan of the music personally, but that station had quality air staff, quality imaging, and great sounding audio. I never understood why Cornerstone didn't attempt to improve coverage into Ottawa County, which is an area where that programming likely would've had great appeal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic