Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

95.7 The Lake - Benton Harbor/St. Joseph

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri May 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Since I’m on vacation here this weekend, I have the opportunity to listen to this station and I must say, the playlist is excellent. One of the better classic rock/rock AC stations I’ve heard.

Also, props to their sister station Z94.3 that has the same playlist, which comes in up here as well. Since 94.5 in GR doesn’t come in worth a damn here, these fill a void (along with MWFC’s 106.1 QYQ — now that’s a good alt station).

Zackeast, you run some damn good stations here. Hats off to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

brianbcomedy

Re: 95.7 The Lake - Benton Harbor/St. Joseph

Post by brianbcomedy » Sun May 29, 2022 4:19 pm

Funny that you would just recently post this, Last Wednesday night I was coming back to Grand Rapids after attending a concert in Chicago and happened to find The Lake while traveling through that area. I remember hearing Manfred Mann's cover of Springsteen's I Came For You and wondered why LAV isn't playing this great version of the song.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun May 29, 2022 9:28 pm

OMG - I just looked at their playlist. Seeing songs on there that are rarely played on corporate (Cumulus) classic rock stations. I’d be listening if I were in that area

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon May 30, 2022 12:06 am

Realist wrote:OMG - I just looked at their playlist. Seeing songs on there that are rarely played on corporate (Cumulus) classic rock stations. I’d be listening if I were in that area
I’ll be streaming it a lot when I head back home. Most radio stations aren’t worth that effort for me, but this one definitely is. Makes me wonder if they listened to Handcrafted Radio a lot (the old Okemos Brewing Radio for those who don’t know).

Playing Bob Seger’s “Get Out of Denver”? Not even CSX would touch that, and they loves them some Seger. Major brownie points in my book.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm

zack is a talented, caring and dedicated radio guy. i applaud him strongly for sticking to convictions as well as putting the product first where 99.9% of the rest of the world of radio just gave in. be like zack

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Tue May 31, 2022 10:12 am

Well now, what a fabulous surprise to see, then hear this today. Quick question for you all as food for thought. What's the possibility that some decent air talent might slide into this format? Not unlike the sirius underground garage, which for sure is not everyone's taste...but take a listen to Meg Griffin if you are on any of the rock channels. We don't need liner cards, news or weather, but local beach stuff, entertainment, some slice of musical knowledge, presuming you can hire smart, concise air talent. Or maybe voice track em. Then pay them, right? There's the rub.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue May 31, 2022 1:41 pm

Steve Dirksen wrote:Well now, what a fabulous surprise to see, then hear this today. Quick question for you all as food for thought. What's the possibility that some decent air talent might slide into this format? Not unlike the sirius underground garage, which for sure is not everyone's taste...but take a listen to Meg Griffin if you are on any of the rock channels. We don't need liner cards, news or weather, but local beach stuff, entertainment, some slice of musical knowledge, presuming you can hire smart, concise air talent. Or maybe voice track em. Then pay them, right? There's the rub.
I prefer the jockless approach, but I think some warm bodies behind the mic would be nice.

SXM might piss me off sometimes with the shallow playlists, but they have some decent jocks; good example is Meg Griffin, like you said.

I think a healthy mix of information and what I deem “cool shit” (music trivia, local events, etc.) would be nice.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:51 am

the week I finally caught the dreaded Covid is the week you all have my ears ringing. Heh. I finally got my voice back, and am well enough to type this. Our own Bill Gamble, who is GM of our South Bend cluster, runs The Lake for us. It translates on 95.7 but originates on 99.9 HD2, at 50kw. Gets pretty far in HD before zonking out. And, yes, the Lake was so well received in Michigan we put it on in Indiana (waiting for the book to see how it fares) on WZOC, where I also host afternoons as ‘Dave DiPaolo.’ The playlist is around 850 songs deep but gets shuffled quarterly. Thus you’ll get really fun things like that Seger piece (but maybe not in Indiana lol)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic