Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tony Gates Pulled From WLAV

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
radionut

Re: Tony Gates Pulled From WLAV

Post by radionut » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:11 am

In addition to actually hearing some music in the morning, It's nice to not hear Tony and Michelle talking over each other. There just seems to be better Chemistry between Travis and Michelle. Since ratings have gone up it's probably best to see where this duo goes before disrupting it by bringing in a replacement for Tony.

Tony Gates has had a very successful career, but unfortunately all good things must come to an end.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:24 am

Given the fact both WLAV and WFGR witnessed big ratings gains simultaneously, I cannot help but wonder if panel turnover factored into the rises seen at each station.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

That said, I agree with you that there is little reason to upset the apple cart for a second time right now. Michelle is very capable of being the top dog on the morning show. She had very good numbers years ago when she was the morning star on WVTI (that was damn near 25 years ago already; time sure does fly).

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

radionut

Post by radionut » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:00 am

I'm curious to see where things are headed with the show. Travis has developed quite a bit over the last couple of years and will continue. It has to help the ratings that it's a local morning show. "Local" really does matter. Look at WION Jim has focused on serving the community and he makes money at it. Will he become filthy rich? Ah No. But he is not loosing money.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:06 am

I'd certainly choose the LAV show over the stale, unfunny show found on GRD.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 am

I was surprised yesterday hearing early 90s rap music on 98.7 for the first time ever

And as predicted 107.3 hit its 1.2 low what stupid people want to keep that tragedy in the air

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:38 am

Tony Gates during his two periods as a WLAV radio host has referred to himself as "Tone The Fun Guy" and because of
WBFX aka "The Big 101.3 FM" claims that their hits from the 60's and 70's are "fun hits" here's an idea. I think that I Heart radio
should hire "Tone The Fun Guy" and put him on afternoon drive instead of that Mike guy who talks about a whole lot of sub-
jects and not the music (unless there's a concert ticket giveaway.) Imagine a "fun guy" playing "fun hits". I Heart could pay
the self proclaimed "fun guy" a big salary and all these people in the Grand Rapids including the local media would love it
because they have always been enamored with "Tone The Fun Guy". Tone would atleast give a live and local feel to WBFX
and I believe the ratings of "Big 101.3" would improve as a result.

Gary Hunt

Post by Gary Hunt » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:05 pm

You might have something there Greg. Perhaps Tony's waiting out his 6 months or more "Non-Compete" agreement and will eventually be back on the air.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:06 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:38 am
... give a live and local feel to WBFX....
On random tune-ins I've done to 101.3, mostly on Sundays, I've heard some local talent. Occasional Sunday mornings it's been Kevin Richards, the awesome traffic guru for WCSG and WOOD radios. And a couple Sunday evenings it's been Eric Zane. Likely both are pre-recorded voice tracking, but were pleasant surprises to hear.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:30 pm

Holy mackerel...101.3 is pitching up its music to absurd proportions.

Just checked them out online; it is unbearable!

Jay2ThePee

Post by Jay2ThePee » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:06 am
Speaking of stale and unfunny, FBHW is still better than the spinoff podcast of a certain justifiably fired former member who sits in his attic talking to himself. It's some of the worst unlistenable garbage ever.

:arrow: :rollin

ericzane

Post by ericzane » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Jay2ThePee wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:50 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Speaking of stale and unfunny, FBHW is still better than the spinoff podcast of a certain justifiably fired former member who sits in his attic talking to himself. It's some of the worst unlistenable garbage ever.
Thanks for listening! 😂😂😂

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 pm

ericzane wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:18 pm
Jay2ThePee wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:50 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thanks for listening! 😂😂😂
FBHW funny? You’ve GOT to be kidding. They haven’t been even close to being funny since Eric was fired for stupid reasons and FBHW didn’t stand behind him.

They’re HORRIBLE now! Bad enough that they tried to have Producer Joe try to fill EZ’s spot (not funny), but they hired a unfunny chick as a sidekick, making them sound like every other unfunny morning show out there. BORING AND UNLISTENABLE

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:50 pm

Kelly is awful; completely agree! She belongs on a soccer mom station (Country, AC, Christian AC).

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:50 pm
Kelly is awful; completely agree! She belongs on a soccer mom station (Country, AC, Christian AC).
IIRC, didn’t she come from a Hot AC or Top 40 station in Atlanta? It would completely make sense

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:58 am

I know she worked in Atlanta; cannot recall which show or station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic