Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Real Oldies / WGVU is going away in January

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Real Oldies / WGVU is going away in January

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I do not allow direct upload of image files to my domain, except for user profile avatars.

However, you can use the ["img"] [/"img"] tags (remove the quotes) to imbed image files from a third party site. There should be no size limit restriction since this domain is not hosting the image.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

format this

Real Oldies / WGVU is going away in January

Post by format this » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I would love to know how strong or flimsy the WOOD 1300 signal is in the Holland and Zeeland areas in actuality. Wouldn't surprise me if it's better than the pattern says it should be.
1300 loses its punch west of Byron Center, and there are issues along US-31 in Holland. I haven’t tried 106.9 there, I stay on AM and go to 780 or 920.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:35 pm

I suspect that there may be a sweet spot of conductivity near Holland, around the water areas East of Lake Michigan. But quite small. It would be really interesting to look at the whole WOOD 20 kW Proofs of Performance, which were required then, and generally go out 20 miles. Copying services in DC charge exorbitant rates per page, and it is not on the FCC web site. Based on the radial measurements available online in applications such as for WOOD on the WCCW 1310 APP, WHTC on the WKPR 1440 APP, and WMJH 810 for the WCPT 820 power increase APP, I seriously doubt that the conductivity is more than 1 mS/m toward Byron Center.
Last edited by Kennelly Heaviside on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Kennelly Heaviside wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:42 pm
I just recalled that WKBZ 850 once applied for 10 kW Daytime. CDBS shows it happening around 1981-1982. I think that it was owned by Reams Broadcasting. Pete Cavanaugh sadly has died, so he cant be asked. Colonel Flagg might have some recollections about this. It was returned because of overlap, circa 1982. There are three stations that might be overlapped, WKNR 850 Cleveland, WAIT 850 Crystal Lake, IL, and WNOV 860 Milwaukee. I should see who was doing their engineering then. WAIT 850 has been deleted. Overlap with WNOV 860 could be limited to Lake Michigan. The WCPT 820 application recently measured the WMJH 810 conductivity around Rockford, MI toward Lake Michigan at 1 mS/m or less. Again, the WKNR 850 application would probably have useful information. All taken together, I think it could be 250 watts or somewhat more, nondirectional, from the WKBZ 1090 site. Don't know if IHM could own another AM besides 1090, otherwise, they should move to 850. That makes the most sense. They could have a PSSA for Local Sports PBP. Two towers with a broadside figure 8 pattern on 850 from the 1090 site could increase the possibilities.
Peter C rarely mentioned Muskegon. Frazier had already sold KBZ by the time I worked for the company.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:37 pm
Peter C rarely mentioned Muskegon. Frazier had already sold KBZ by the time I worked for the company.
Wikipedia says Reams owned WKBZ from 1968 to 1986. So the APP was submitted and dismissed under their watch. They also applied for 5 kW back in the 1940s and 1950s. There is so much crossed off on the History Card, it's hard to make it out and to make sense of it. History Cards generally only go up to about 1980. Pete was quite a story teller, so I thought he might have mentioned it.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:02 pm
I do not allow direct upload of image files to my domain, except for user profile avatars.

However, you can use the ["img"] [/"img"] tags (remove the quotes) to imbed image files from a third party site. There should be no size limit restriction since this domain is not hosting the image.
I'll have to set up something where I can post my pictures to access them that way on this and other sites.

kager

Post by kager » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:36 am

Kennelly Heaviside wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I'll have to set up something where I can post my pictures to access them that way on this and other sites.
https://imgbb.com is a good and free option.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic