Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What's WOOD-FM's current STA parameters?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Radio Chili

What's WOOD-FM's current STA parameters?

Post by Radio Chili » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:50 am

Once the station returned to the air after that lightning strike to their tower and the ensuing fire that burned the 'shack' out, what power and height are they using? It's hard to get on the clock radio a mere 29 miles from the xmtr. Prior to the fire, it was nice and wide on the clocks.

Kennelly Heaviside

Re: What's WOOD-FM's current STA parameters?

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 am

I was driving between West Branch and Pinconning on I-75 the other day and I thought I was hearing WOOD-FM 106.9 very clearly. But it was actually W295CU 106.9 Tawas City, the 250 watt translator for WIOS 1480, which airs similar to identical programming during various dayparts. There was no cochannel interference I could hear. So apparently, WOOD-FM was nowhere near full power. It's hard to believe such a big company can't get the facility back up and running at full power. "Supply Chain" problems again? Or maybe, like other big companies, medium sized markets aren't their priority? I think they need to go back to local ownership and control, if "Clear Channel", or whatever it is called this week, doesn't care more.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: What's WOOD-FM's current STA parameters?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:46 am

Correct - they are nowhere near full power. Reception is only a bit better than WMRR along M-6 in far southern Kent County. Cannot get a lock in seek mode until I'm near Kalamazoo Ave, and even there, it is not a sure thing.

Driving out of town, the signal becomes quite fuzzy near the I-96 / M-50 interchange. They've definitely lost a good 15 to 20 miles of range compared to normal.

Near I-96 and M-6 yesterday, I was picking up WLLZ and a little bit of WSRT on 106.7 with zero splashover from 106.9.

I suspect they are broadcasting with facilities very close to what is specified in their AUX facilities license:
https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&appid= ... acid=25086

The 54 dBu (50, 50) contour cuts right through the city of Grand Rapids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic