Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

My Cumulus RDS impersonation...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

My Cumulus RDS impersonation...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:25 pm

HI! I'M GOING TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, PLUG USELESS MORNING DRIVE DRIVEL, NOT GIVE YOU ARTIST AND SONG ID RELIABLY AND FORCE YOU TO STARE AT THIS FOR 15, 30 OR 60 MINUTES AT A TIME! HA! I'M SO CLEVER! WATCH OUT B93 AND WSNX! OUR SCREAMING RDS READOUT HAS PLACED US ON THE PATH TO VICTORY!

Realist

Re: My Cumulus RDS impersonation...

Post by Realist » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm

You noticed this too? 🤣🤣🤣

At least Cumulus Saginaw and Flint have their 💩 together with RDS

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm

So they actually talk about the morning shows on their RDS'S?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

Ah, the genius of MsWarmth, alias Lori Bennett.

Cumulus' Toledo stations are almost as bad. Then there's WDVD in Detroit, whose song/artist readout periodically gets stuck on "FEEL IT STILL - PORTUGAL THE MAN" for days or even weeks at a time. I've noticed this at least three times over the past year.

On the other hand, Cumulus GR stations, when they do display the song/artist info, display the correct song. Which is more than one can say for Big 101.3.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:38 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm
So they actually talk about the morning shows on their RDS'S?
WLAV and WHTS both have morning show plugs on their RDS. WHTS' specifically plugs it as being the first all-female morning show in the area. Talk about grasping at straws.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:38 pm
WHTS' specifically plugs it as being the first all-female morning show in the area. Talk about grasping at straws.
Not that wading into this pool of irrelevancy is necessary, but Shelly Irwin has been hosting The WGVU Morning Show for years. Is she not 'all female' because she handles the show solo? Also, she handles it quite well as there are no 'Portgual The Man' songs to lean into when the hyena laughing wanes.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, Michelle McKormick also handled her show back on i96 as a solo host for a few years prior to Kidd O'Shea's arrival. Perhaps TWO LADIES AT THE SAME TIME would be a better fit for the screaming RDS readouts?

I'm probably forgetting other 'all female' hosts that weren't deemed worthy by the RDS gods.

radionut

Post by radionut » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:25 pm
NOT GIVE YOU ARTIST AND SONG ID RELIABLY AND FORCE YOU TO STARE AT THIS FOR 15, 30 OR 60 MINUTES AT A TIME!
I haven't noticed any reliability issues except for WLAV when downtown where the signal has a hard time. What do you mean realibility?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 am

What I mean is instead of seeing artist & song data when I stare at my infotainment screen, most of the time I see plugs for 105.3's morning show, or in the case of 94.5 & 107.3, a station ID with marketing slogan.

Regardless of what info is shown, it is ALL CAPS and very annoying.

tc

Post by tc » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Saw all caps on Townsquare station's RDS as well, not just a Cumulus thing. Did not see any morning show mention on Hot-FM RDS just, maybe just runs during the morning show?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Saw it throughout the day Friday & Saturday, as well as the past several times I visited town. I have no issue with promoting the morning show per se. My beef is with the very annoying ALL CAPS text readout.

Sending text, email or performing message board postings in all caps is considered obnoxious. Doing so is poor etiquette. I have no idea why Cumulus believes using RDS to scream at its listeners is desirable.

WLHT's RDS is poorly implemented, too; it doesn't work properly when I have HD-mode enabled on my car radio.
Then there's WDVD in Detroit, whose song/artist readout periodically gets stuck on "FEEL IT STILL - PORTUGAL THE MAN" for days or even weeks at a time. I've noticed this at least three times over the past year.
Yup, I've seen this, too. Very annoying.

gotigers

Post by gotigers » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't think WKFR (a Townsquare station) has shown a song and artist in months. It's usually plugging the morning show in all caps like you said. Very annoying. Just another reason I've been preferring the new Hits 96.5 (WZOX) to KFR lately.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:25 pm
HI! I'M GOING TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, PLUG USELESS MORNING DRIVE DRIVEL, NOT GIVE YOU ARTIST AND SONG ID RELIABLY AND FORCE YOU TO STARE AT THIS FOR 15, 30 OR 60 MINUTES AT A TIME! HA! I'M SO CLEVER! WATCH OUT B93 AND WSNX! OUR SCREAMING RDS READOUT HAS PLACED US ON THE PATH TO VICTORY!
FIRST ALL FEMALE MORNING SHOW IN WEST MICHIGAN!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Realist wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Funny you mention Flint... CK105.5 doesn't appear to be showing song/artist info anymore. It's just "Flint's CK105.5 All The Hits" on both PS and RT whenever I tune by, even during a song.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:54 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:57 pm
Saw it throughout the day Friday & Saturday, as well as the past several times I visited town. I have no issue with promoting the morning show per se. My beef is with the very annoying ALL CAPS text readout.

Sending text, email or performing message board postings in all caps is considered obnoxious. Doing so is poor etiquette. I have no idea why Cumulus believes using RDS to scream at its listeners is desirable.

WLHT's RDS is poorly implemented, too; it doesn't work properly when I have HD-mode enabled on my car radio.
Then there's WDVD in Detroit, whose song/artist readout periodically gets stuck on "FEEL IT STILL - PORTUGAL THE MAN" for days or even weeks at a time. I've noticed this at least three times over the past year.
Yup, I've seen this, too. Very annoying.
When I was in G.R. about a month ago, I noticed WLHT did not display any kind of song/artist text whenever it locked in HD on my Sangean HDR-14. HD2 also displayed nothing, but that was before the Smile FM deal took effect. (I know WCSX-HD3 just displays "Michigan's Positive Hit's" (sic) with no song/artist info.)
I've noticed similar lack of info with WLNZ in Lansing and WMUK in Kalamazoo when they lock in HD.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:48 pm
Realist wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Funny you mention Flint... CK105.5 doesn't appear to be showing song/artist info anymore. It's just "Flint's CK105.5 All The Hits" on both PS and RT whenever I tune by, even during a song.
The best thing that Cumulus could do with that station is either have it simulcast Top 40 sister WIOG or drop the Top 40 format altogether and simulcast Z93, blowing the Banana right out of water….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic