Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WGVU translator at 95.3 FM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WGVU translator at 95.3 FM

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:45 am

A couple things:
- The signal has gone to crap. 88.5 FM was coming in more reliably in Byron Twp. and the far southern part of Wyoming than 95.3 when I checked Friday. In fact, 88.5 FM was coming in crystal clear. Was even decoding the HD signal.
- 95.3 no longer rebroadcasts AM 1480. It now rebroadcasts 88.5 WGVU-FM, as it did originally upon being acquired by WGVU Public Media.

Did the translator at 95.3 FM need to drop power in order to remain within a certain contour (or mileage limit) of WGVU-FM, or are equipment issues being encountered?

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radionut

Re: WGVU translator at 95.3 FM

Post by radionut » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:45 am
A couple things:
- The signal has gone to crap. 88.5 FM was coming in more reliably in Byron Twp. and the far southern part of Wyoming than 95.3 when I checked Friday.
The translator is now considered a fill in which meant it needed to go directional and reduce power.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 am

Well, that sucks.

Not sure why they had to reduce power and directionalize; non-comm stations are not subject to the same, stringent rules as commercial stations in terms of translator usage.

W237CZ previously delivered a reliable signal to Wyoming, Kentwood and the townships along M-6. Now, the signal goes to crap pretty quickly once one gets more than 5 miles away from the TX site.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 am
...Not sure why they had to reduce power and directionalize; non-comm stations are not subject to the same, stringent rules as commercial stations in terms of translator usage....
You piqued my curiosity MW, so I looked a bit further at past FCC filings.

W237CZ is still noted as being Commercial, with the Modification filing to lower the output noting, "Licensee is a not-for-profit
state university." Further, a PDF included as an Attachment has the description, "Commercial/Noncommercial
Status of W237CZ"--but the PDF doesn't launch for me when I've tried from my iPhone and a Windows laptop computer.

So perhaps in time GVSU will pursue converting the translator from being Commercial, then restore the previous power level.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 pm

I've tried to launch the PDF, too. No dice. Thanks for the info.

If it would've made a difference in terms of maximum allowable ERP, the station should've continued to rebroadcast Real Oldies 1480.

It is rather remarkable that W237CZ is licensed as a commercial translator in view of the fact it is has never aired anything other than not-for-profit public radio programming of some variety.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic