Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anyone Remember This Restaurant In Grand Rapids?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Kennelly Heaviside

Anyone Remember This Restaurant In Grand Rapids?

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:20 am

Used to eat there on visits to Western Michigan. It was Gerald Ford's favorite restaurant. Also Holly's for breakfast.

Fulton and Fuller as I remember.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

Radio1

Re: Anyone Remember This Restaurant In Grand Rapids?

Post by Radio1 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:52 am

I believe you are on the wrong forum for this.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 am

Maybe the late Mike Wallace did a remote there, as part of his short-term stay at WOOD/WASH Radio around 1940.

We'll see if Grand Rapids goes through another downtown decline, like it saw in the 70's.

Looks like I may be having a sizzling steak for dinner tonight.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:37 am

They tore down Herpolsheimer's in the 1970s as I recall. I pushed the button that stopped the escalator when I was about three years old. It was the biggest thing to happen in Grand Rapids all day. They had an escalator system that narrowed as you went up the floors, like the "Man Store" in the joke.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:48 pm

Herp's became City Centre, then a kids themed mall, and for many years (including now) is G.R. police headquarters.

Unless you mean the original Herp's that became Wurzburg's circa 1950. Not sure about that one.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Transmitter

Post by Transmitter » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:40 pm

Woolworth's was torn down in 1979 at the southwest corner of Monroe and Pearl. Herpolsheimer's was not demolished. Wurzburg's was demolished in 1969, where the Grand Rapids Art Museum is now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic