Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Magic 104.9 is unlistenable

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Magic 104.9 is unlistenable

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 am

I realize I'm not in the target demo - but do even African Americans over the age of say, 30, enjoy this station?

The music is insufferable. It's a bunch of auto-tuned garbage, with no melody, with lyrics written by low IQ morons who cannot sing worth a damn and who glorify the gangsta lifestyle.

I listened online in hopes the station sounded better than the past few times I listened. Suffice it to say, I was extremely disappointed. While station imaging has improved a bit (I no longer can go 20 minutes or longer without hearing a station ID), the music choices remain complete garbage.

This station makes Power 96.5 in Lansing, a station that I think is well programmed, sound like an Easy Listening station! The music played on 104.9 is truly that far "out there."

Kennelly Heaviside

Re: Magic 104.9 is unlistenable

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:53 am

If they were a Class A with a decent signal into Grand Rapids, and with a real Urban AC format like they are shown, they would do much better.

The late Vern Merritt had the right idea for the Flint market's first full market Urban FM with WDZZ-don't drive away your non African American potential audience.

According to the last fully available census figures in 2010, Kent County had about 61,500 African Americans (10.2%), and one AM with a translator targeting African Americans. By comparison, Genesee County in 2010 (assumed by outstate whites to be largely African American) had about 88,100 African Americans (20.7%), and has 1 local AM, 1 local FM, and 2 (maybe 3) rimshots programming to African Americans.

According to preliminary 2020 census figures and estimates there are about 326,000 people outside Flint in Genesee County, which are mainly outside cities and CDPs, so are off the radar to most people's perceptions who question the numbers.

But definitely, Kent County needs at least one full market signal programming to all African Americans, not just the younger people. And one that doesn't drive the rest of the people away.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:56 am

For a 250 watt translator, 104.9's signal is actually quite good in most of the areas where it needs to be good. Of all the translators and LPFMs in the area, I'd say 104.9 has the best signal penetration and overall range.

At my folks' house in Byron Township (SW corner of Kent County), the signal is no weaker than WSNX, WHTS, WOOD-FM or WTRV. I'd say the signal is actually better than WOOD-FM there. It's also much, much stronger indoors than either 93.3 or 94.9, both of which broadcast from the same tower as 104.9.

In the inner city of Grand Rapids and most of Wyoming, reception is probably effortless. In most of Kentwood, reception is probably on par with Byron Township.

I definitely agree with your last comment.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:49 am

6 Chris Brown tracks played in a 2.5-hour period per their published playlist. That's a Chris Brown song every 25 minutes. :barf

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Awful. This station deserves to fail.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic