Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lions on Big 101.3 and 96.1 possibly flipping?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
ftballfan

Lions on Big 101.3 and 96.1 possibly flipping?

Post by ftballfan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 pm

I heard two mentions this morning (on WOOD and B93) of the Lions moving to Big 101.3. Is 96.1 going to flip from Sports soon? If/when 96.1 flips, what is the most likely format?

The most likely format IMHO is Urban of some flavor, especially considering how well 104.9 does for being only 250 watts. I can't completely rule out classic country (even though it would cannibalize B93 and 107 MUS), variety hits, or even Spanish.

Speaking of 96.1, analog operates as normal, as well as HD2 (WTKG), but HD1 has been dead air the past day or so.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Lions on Big 101.3 and 96.1 possibly flipping?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:37 am

Are you sure the Lions were on 96.1 last season?

I could've sworn they were on WLAV.

101.3 was the Lions affiliate six or seven seasons ago, and 101.3 has carried other sports broadcasts in the past, too (e.g. the horrifically boring WMU Broncos). This isn't necessarily a sign 96.1 is flipping.

Bear in mind 96.1 has signal deficiencies in portions of Kent County, and also bear in mind the Lions already have an affiliate in Holland (WHTC). Protections afforded to WHTC may be the reason 96.1 is unable to carry the broadcasts.

I would love to see someone in Grand Rapids do Urban AC on a full power signal.

Magic 104.9 sounded terrible the last few times I sampled the station. It was either weird re-mixes or straight-up gangsta street thug music, and in either case, station IDs & imaging were woefully inadequate. That's a big deal in a diary market. It's been a few months since I last listened, I'll have to check out the stream to see if anything has changed.

I theorize iHM hasn't launched an Urban AC locally because they feel it would be detrimental to the ratings of WSNX and Star 105.7. WSNX historically has commanded a gigantic share of African American listening, although that has likely diminished in recent years with 104.9 and various other translators & LPFMs emerging.

The perfect place for an Urban AC station would be 107.3. That station delivers an excellent signal to Grand Rapids and Kentwood, and because it has a mediocre signal along the lakeshore, it wouldn't step on the toes of Muskegon sister station V100.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic