Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWMT-TV, CW7 go live with new transmitter, improved broadcast signal

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Michigan Media

WWMT-TV, CW7 go live with new transmitter, improved broadcast signal

Post by Michigan Media » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

From https://wwmt.com/news/local/wwmt-tv-cw7 ... ast-signal:

KALAMAZOO, Mich. - Over-the-air viewers of News Channel 3, WWMT-TV and the CW7 may notice an improved signal coming to their TV sets. On Friday, August 6, WWMT-TV went live with a new signal transmission line and antenna in addition to a new transmitter at its Barry County tower site.

The changes, which were years in the making, are designed to improve the quality of the station's traditional broadcast signal.

For those viewing over the air, WWMT Chief Engineer George Markle recommends re-scanning your channel lineup using the settings on your television in order to ensure you are receiving the optimal signal.

"We are pleased to deliver an improved signal to many of our viewers to ensure everyone has access to the wide array of programming on both of our channels," said WWMT-TV General Manager Fred Corbus.

The changes only impact those viewing WWMT and the CW7 over the air with an antenna. Cable and streaming viewers are not impacted by the change.

Jason Kragt

Re: WWMT-TV, CW7 go live with new transmitter, improved broadcast signal

Post by Jason Kragt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:56 pm

Things are *very* much improved here in Saugatuck. They were only about 50% viewable before the boost. They have been solid several days now.

CJ

Post by CJ » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:54 pm

I wonder how it is in Kalamazoo now. We recently moved from Texas Township and I could pull in WSBT from South Bend, but could never get a reliable signal from the CBS station in my own market. I haven’t had a chance to put my antenna up in our new house to see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:36 am

This is great news.

The height of the old antenna and its side mount on the tower structure always made reception difficult in parts of the GR area and very difficult along the lakeshore (where low elevation + Milwaukee interference tag-teamed to hamper reception).

I believe the new antenna sits atop the tower where the old analog antenna previously resided.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 pm

I had fading results from WWMT in the last few months, then voila, it was back on Friday.

This thread of explanation is appreciated by my simple mind that had begun searching for some other attribute arriving from a roof antenna, a "community special" built to serve the GR market at the time of the analog dropout, which I put up in '09.

My WZZM reception went out on me about 2 years ago, but I still get an ABC affiliate and am old enough to not climb the roof to see about "why."

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm

This is great news. I can't wait to rescan tonight to see for meself. Thanks for posting this news! CBS is my main OTA network. I've been thinking of subscribing to CBS online for this, because of the iffy signal and dropouts, even with the antenna pointing to their tower.
Update (8/11): So I scanned the TV and the DVR today. No difference. Signal was in the 30s prior to scanning and after. That range is OK, as it produces a steady signal. It has dropped into the 20s or less at times, and that's bad. Maybe it won't drop down there anymore? I can only hope.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic