Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bronco Radio Network Announces 106.5 Jack FM As New Flagship

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Michigan Media

Bronco Radio Network Announces 106.5 Jack FM As New Flagship

Post by Michigan Media » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Link: https://wmubroncos.com/news/2021/7/15/g ... gship.aspx
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Starting this fall, Western Michigan University football, hockey and men's basketball games will have a new radio station home. Midwest Communications recently transitioned their highly successful Jack FM format from the previous Bronco Flagship Station (WZOX 96.5 FM) to WVFM 106.5 FM. Bronco games are also moving to the 33,000-watt 106.5 FM signal which reaches Western Michigan fans throughout the region, serving Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Battle Creek.

"Midwest Communications has been a tremendous broadcast partner of WMU Athletics as our Bronco Flagship for 23 years and their commitment to carry the Broncos on one of their strongest signals, with cross-promotion on their entire lineup of stations in the market, illustrates that partnership and support," said Associate Athletics Director and Voice of the Broncos Robin Hook. "The 106.5 FM signal reaches our entire West Michigan footprint and is also available anywhere online at jack1065.com, through their mobile smart phone app, and on smart speaker devices like Amazon's Alexa for Bronco fans inside and outside the listening area," Hook added.

Midwest Communications News Talk legend WKZO 590 AM and 106.9 FM will carry men's basketball or hockey games with conflicting start times, along with a selected schedule of WMU baseball games in the spring.

"I want to thank the Midwest Communications ownership and management team for their long-standing partnership with WMU Athletics and overwhelming support of this move to 106.5 FM for Bronco football, hockey, and men's basketball games. It will have a H*** impact on our loyal Bronco fans and sponsors in the region" said WMU Director of Athletics Kathy Beauregard.

Bronco women's basketball games will continue to air on Midwest Communications station WTOU 1660 AM and 95.5 FM. Midwest Communications stations WNWN, WFAT, WTVB, WZOX, WKZO, WTOU, and WVFM will also carry the daily Bronco Update feature afternoons, Monday through Friday, during the broadcast season (September through May).

"Midwest Communications is excited to extend our partnership with Western Michigan University Athletics and honored to have WVFM 106.5 FM serve as the new flagship station for Bronco football, hockey, and men's basketball" said Midwest Communications Regional Sales Manager Jay Morris. "As a WMU grad, I know that Bronco sports are a major part of the fabric of our community. Western Michigan Athletic Director Kathy Beauregard, her staff and coaches have been incredible to work with and we look forward to continuing these events and programs on our stations for Bronco fans throughout West Michigan," said Morris.

The fall broadcast schedule opens Saturday, Sept. 4, when the Western Michigan football team opens the season at Michigan.
No mention of out-of-market affiliates. In prior years, Bronco games aired on WVIC in Jackson/Lansing, WMAX/WBFX in Grand Rapids, and WDFN in Detroit. However, WVFM is a nice upgrade for the West Michigan market.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Bronco Radio Network Announces 106.5 Jack FM As New Flagship

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Listening to WMU athletics on the radio for any length of time is fatiguing. Same statement applies to virtually any MAC school.

I really like 106.5 Jack FM. This is definitely unwelcome news to me.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

format this

Post by format this » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Michigan Media wrote:Link: https://wmubroncos.com/news/2021/7/15/g ... gship.aspx
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Starting this fall, Western Michigan University football, hockey and men's basketball games will have a new radio station home. Midwest Communications recently transitioned their highly successful Jack FM format from the previous Bronco Flagship Station (WZOX 96.5 FM) to WVFM 106.5 FM. Bronco games are also moving to the 33,000-watt 106.5 FM signal which reaches Western Michigan fans throughout the region, serving Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Battle Creek.

"Midwest Communications has been a tremendous broadcast partner of WMU Athletics as our Bronco Flagship for 23 years and their commitment to carry the Broncos on one of their strongest signals, with cross-promotion on their entire lineup of stations in the market, illustrates that partnership and support," said Associate Athletics Director and Voice of the Broncos Robin Hook. "The 106.5 FM signal reaches our entire West Michigan footprint and is also available anywhere online at jack1065.com, through their mobile smart phone app, and on smart speaker devices like Amazon's Alexa for Bronco fans inside and outside the listening area," Hook added.

Midwest Communications News Talk legend WKZO 590 AM and 106.9 FM will carry men's basketball or hockey games with conflicting start times, along with a selected schedule of WMU baseball games in the spring.

"I want to thank the Midwest Communications ownership and management team for their long-standing partnership with WMU Athletics and overwhelming support of this move to 106.5 FM for Bronco football, hockey, and men's basketball games. It will have a H*** impact on our loyal Bronco fans and sponsors in the region" said WMU Director of Athletics Kathy Beauregard.

Bronco women's basketball games will continue to air on Midwest Communications station WTOU 1660 AM and 95.5 FM. Midwest Communications stations WNWN, WFAT, WTVB, WZOX, WKZO, WTOU, and WVFM will also carry the daily Bronco Update feature afternoons, Monday through Friday, during the broadcast season (September through May).

"Midwest Communications is excited to extend our partnership with Western Michigan University Athletics and honored to have WVFM 106.5 FM serve as the new flagship station for Bronco football, hockey, and men's basketball" said Midwest Communications Regional Sales Manager Jay Morris. "As a WMU grad, I know that Bronco sports are a major part of the fabric of our community. Western Michigan Athletic Director Kathy Beauregard, her staff and coaches have been incredible to work with and we look forward to continuing these events and programs on our stations for Bronco fans throughout West Michigan," said Morris.

The fall broadcast schedule opens Saturday, Sept. 4, when the Western Michigan football team opens the season at Michigan.
No mention of out-of-market affiliates. In prior years, Bronco games aired on WVIC in Jackson/Lansing, WMAX/WBFX in Grand Rapids, and WDFN in Detroit. However, WVFM is a nice upgrade for the West Michigan market.
Actually, it was sister WWDK that was airing games. With 106.5’s signal, I’m sure the decision was made to drop 94.1 from carriage, which I’m sure makes classic country fans happy. Plus with 106.5’s reach into GR (which is included in the TOH for Jack), no GR affiliate is needed. Remember that the old flagship, 96.5 WZOX, was 6kw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:11 pm

In other words, WMU didn't want to cough up the money for FM affiliations in Grand Rapids and Lansing.

106.5 doesn't deliver a very useful signal to Lansing proper.

The games are unbearably boring on the radio.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:11 pm
The games are unbearably boring on the radio.
Try being there (sober) in person. :lol

Wellllll... la de frickin da

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 pm
Listening to WMU athletics on the radio for any length of time is fatiguing. Same statement applies to virtually any MAC school.

I really like 106.5 Jack FM. This is definitely unwelcome news to me.
At least the Toledo Rockets had a decent announcer for many years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic