Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On Screen Faces Departing FOX 17

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
bbb85

Re: On Screen Faces Departing FOX 17

Post by bbb85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 pm

EricGRR wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm
From what I’ve seen of scripps… they are likely trying to rebuild Fox 17s news department from the ground up. Sometimes this strategy works for them and sometimes it’s a disaster. We will see.
Yeah a rebuild definitely wasn’t needed. Scripps has had it out for every former Tribune station since day one, although it’s unclear why exactly. Fox 17 had grown in ratings over the past few years to a solid #2 in a number of hours, often #1 in mornings. Scripps came in and, for no discernible reason, changed everything and acted like they knew how to do it “right.”

They are quite self-important in their plans and brag about themselves a lot, but it’s quite confusing why, since nearly every station of theirs is 3rd or 4th place. We were constantly told to emulate their Milwaukee station (their golden child) which is in FOURTH EFFING PLACE. Corporate spends time patting each other on the back when they have no idea what it’s like to run an actual newsroom.

bbb85

Post by bbb85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 pm

EricGRR wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm
From what I’ve seen of scripps… they are likely trying to rebuild Fox 17s news department from the ground up. Sometimes this strategy works for them and sometimes it’s a disaster. We will see.
Yeah a rebuild definitely wasn’t needed. Scripps has had it out for every former Tribune station since day one, although it’s unclear why exactly. Fox 17 had grown in ratings over the past few years to a solid #2 in a number of hours, often #1 in mornings. Scripps came in and, for no discernible reason, changed everything and acted like they knew how to do it “right.”

They are quite self-important in their plans and brag about themselves a lot, but it’s quite confusing why, since nearly every station of theirs is 3rd or 4th place. We were constantly told to emulate their Milwaukee station (their golden child) which is in FOURTH EFFING PLACE. Corporate spends time patting each other on the back when they have no idea what it’s like to run an actual newsroom.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 pm

TMJ4's best days are definitely in the rear view mirror. WISN and Fox 6 dominate Milwaukee, I suspect.

Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 pm

I wonder if Floor Director Mike Davis will retire. He been there for 38 years and about 71 years old.

Will Chief Meteorologist Kevin Craig continue doing mornings.

Bdl

Post by Bdl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:50 am

Thunderstorm wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 pm
I wonder if Floor Director Mike Davis will retire. He been there for 38 years and about 71 years old.

Mike Avery asked him earlier this week if he had any plans to...and he said no.

Not sure about Kevin Craig. Maybe he'll head down to Florida as he always talks about retiring there.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:22 pm

Ryan Cummings just announced on FB that he is moving from the 10&11 newcasts to mornings. No word yet who is taking Deanna's place. My guess would be Savannah or Ruta.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Bdl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:50 am
Thunderstorm wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 pm

Mike Avery asked him earlier this week if he had any plans to...and he said no.

Not sure about Kevin Craig. Maybe he'll head down to Florida as he always talks about retiring there.
Kevin Craig will be there as long as he can, he is going nowhere if he has his way.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 pm

dwp49423 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:22 pm
Ryan Cummings just announced on FB that he is moving from the 10&11 newcasts to mornings. No word yet who is taking Deanna's place. My guess would be Savannah or Ruta.
Well, now Ryan Cummings has announced he's leaving the industry, and moving to Indianapolis to sell life insurance. He posted his "Life Update" on Facebook on 9/27, noting within it that 10/19 will be his last day with WXMI.

Ryan's 9/13 tweet expressed that it'd been fun filling in on the morning show for 6 weeks--so he knew he was just temporarily in that role.

Further, I'm finding the clip on the WXMI site from Monday 9/20 where relatively-recent hire Ruta Ulcinaite and really-new hire Tessa DiTirro are now the dynamic duo at the desk permanently. Plus there are promotional photos included with them, Kevin Craig, Candace Monacelli, and Robb Westaby, which tends to confirm it's the five-person go-forward team.

Honestly, for me personally I used to tune in WXMI some mornings for the weather, traffic, and news--but haven't really done so since the long-time pair at the desk departed this summer. Perhaps I'll check in again over the upcoming weeks.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:52 pm

My parents hate the new anchor team on the WXMI morning show. They were extremely loyal viewers when Mike and Deanna held down the fort.

They said both of the women at the anchor desk do a lousy job of reading the news and lack any personality. They also do not like the fact Kevin Craig is now part of the morning show.

They have completely given up on the station in mornings.

WMnewslover

Post by WMnewslover » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:25 am

Ruta and Tessa seem like they are trying..almost too hard..and it seems forced and just is not working. They do a fine job with presentation, but they just don’t have the chemistry or personality that Mike and Deanna had. And the banter with Davis is just not the same, it feels forced and awkward. I give them props for trying..but they just don’t have “it.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic