Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

West Michigan Radio Websites are miserably short of content.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

West Michigan Radio Websites are miserably short of content.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:59 pm

CUMULUS:

WLAV: Featured page: Muskegon Wine Festival. Ho Hum.
WTNR Win free advertising. Oooooooh.
HOT 103. Win free advertising...where did I hear that?

TOWNSQUARE:
WLHT: Morning show: Connie and Fish. Geesh. She passed 6 months ago.
The River: We remember Herpolsheimer's Department store!

I Heart:
B93: Gwen Stefani Shares Bridal Shower Pics Ahead Of Wedding To Blake Shelton.
WOOD AM: A fight involving 10 people at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Holland Township resulted in a 24-year-old getting stabbed in the chest. (thanks channel 8)
Last edited by Reese K Rickards on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MrsWarmth

Re: Weat Michigan Radio Websites are miserably short of content.

Post by MrsWarmth » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm

weat?

Bull Shannon

Re: West Michigan Radio Websites are miserably short of content.

Post by Bull Shannon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Nobody goes on radio station websites anymore. It's social media or bust.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm

No one answered me the first time I asked this, so I will ask again. What is the monetary gain for a radio station website? Those crappy Google ads don't pay much, and the views are going to be hard to come by to make it worth much. Local advertising? Again, the views are just not there.
As for social media, unless you have something go viral or you're a very hot celebrity, again you are not going to get the clicks to make money.
So why the push?
And Reese's analysis of local stations' websites shows the lack of content. I have no desire to go to station XXXX website, even if it is my favorite station.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 am

Frosty makes some good points. No one was ever really able to explain why those of us on-air needed to "drive the listeners to the website" but every hour at FGR we had to do a break highlighting something that listeners needed to check out. Jocks were responsible for posting X stories every week and every week we got the numbers for how many hits each story garnered. Did jocks get anything for this? No. Did it increase sales? No idea. There are times when I miss radio but stories like this remind me that I am glad to be out.

since16

Post by since16 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:44 am

Radio stations continue to do it very backwards. The content that should go on your social media should be directly related to your content on air, i.e. promotions, listener interactions, heck we do live video every time a listener is on the air to ensure that slight extension of the on-air segment.

Two game changers are happening though, Facebook reach is in decline, and advertisers are starting to notice this when they try their own "organic" posts. That means either "boosting out" and even that is dropping in regards to engagement (read up on the iphone update and facebook content delivery) and the other part is that advertisers are noticing this enough that they are putting more on radio to increase their reach. It's happening first hand so thank you Facebook.

As for websites, it's not for selling ads because eventually the low click thru rate (if tracked accordingly) will put that station (or media outlet in general) in a bind of ummmm yah it's not working.

It still is better than newspapers stopping you at the front door trying to get paid subscriptions and then you will see the ads and content, how ass-backwards.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:22 pm

So, basically.....no one knows what the F they are doing. No wonder radio broadcasting is a nearly dead industry. Sad.

It was fun in the '80s.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:04 pm

Are the stations for those websites short of content also?

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm

SteveL has it right (Hi Steve) At TSQ, Jocks had (and still have to) do X number of posts a week. And then talk about them on the air. And send people "for more go to WFGR.COM" and then TSQ has ads on the websites...and gets the ad revenue from any click throughs. There might be some local ads as well, but if there are they probably are bonused to good clients.For each website it might small, couple of hundred bucks a day or week or year. But they own 300+ stations. Probably pays for Steven's Porsche or his secretary in NYC...

You like corn?

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:15 pm

When websites we really becoming the thing that "Every Station Had to have" and I specifically remember when the edict came down from management about making sure they at the end of every promo/break etc the website was to be mentioned. One of the long time jocks said "Are we a fucking radio station or a website?" during one of the meetings. I always appreciated that.

95% of all radio stations website are worthless - unless you want to listen online on a PC or Laptop. Jocks spend a bunch of time just stealing stuff from other sites usually.

I'm sure it all comes to to clicks-adverstisements-money.

Most TV stations websites are so slow and cluttered with Ads and pop ups, they are almost unusable IMO.

The good ol days - are over :)

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:46 am

craigrussell100 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm
SteveL has it right (Hi Steve) At TSQ, Jocks had (and still have to) do X number of posts a week. And then talk about them on the air. And send people "for more go to WFGR.COM" and then TSQ has ads on the websites...and gets the ad revenue from any click throughs. There might be some local ads as well, but if there are they probably are bonused to good clients.For each website it might small, couple of hundred bucks a day or week or year. But they own 300+ stations. Probably pays for Steven's Porsche or his secretary in NYC...
FGRs Website still has seize the deal promotions THAT EXPIRED 7 YEARS AGO still on, and haven’t advertised seize the deal at all since around you left.

I remember FGR had ads for the diocese of Grand Rapids couple times, and had you run them on the air despite not being a faith based station

So yes, Big media owners are completely inept at running websites

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 am

correct me if i am wrong, but are not a bunch of jerk off's from AOL running radio? wouldn't it stand to reason why failure followed them?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm

You're right - It might have been Iheart or Townsquare that brought in that bunch.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:29 am

Good thing about that overblown demand to create content for a radio station website, when the corporate/cluster-motivated axe came through and got me, I went home and gleaned those features before they disappeared, to demonstrate my writing chops for my next, and current job.

There were precious few packages sold to join the Google ads on the station web pages.

About the only thing I click onto a station website for these days is their Listen Live link, since some have dubious apps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic