Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLA has subs… lots of them…

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
format this

WLLA has subs… lots of them…

Post by format this » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 pm

Try 9. 64.1 through 64.9, and guess where the shopping networks that used to be on 43’s subs went to? Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

tvbobn

Re: WLLA has subs… lots of them…

Post by tvbobn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 pm

What are the sub-channels?

Can you list them?

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

format this

Post by format this » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 am

tvbobn wrote:What are the sub-channels?

Can you list them?
I was going to, but then sleep caught up with me. I will post them later tonight.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:32 pm

64.1 Religious (WLLA’s format since sign-on)
64.2 MeTV
64.3 Heroes & Icons
64.4 Decades
64.5 Retro TV
64.6 DABL
64.7 HSN
64.8 QVC OTA
64.9 SHOP LC

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am

WLLA be like "How many subchannels can we have?"
"Fuck it, let's find out!"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Bull Shannon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am
WLLA be like "How many subchannels can we have?"
"Fuck it, let's find out!"
WACX in Orlando, FL has 11 (!!) subchannels. Amazingly, I was still able to get a decent signal from them near Universal Orlando (from a sixth floor room facing Bithlo) on my Milanix portable TV. WACX is on RF 7 to boot

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 pm

WHNE-CA channel 3 in Detroit has twelve (!!!) subchannels.

I suspect carriage of home shopping networks is a form of revenue generation for niche / little known broadcasters such as WLLA.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:07 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 pm

I suspect carriage of home shopping networks is a form of revenue generation for niche / little known broadcasters such as WLLA.
Indeed, I'm very much assuming that it's the shop-at-home channels that brought this about. It's been fun watching WLLA's Facebook posts.

On May 27, they posted that they'd installed a new mux encoder--and that doing so allowed for adding a few more channels. Replies from others quickly raised disappointment that the 3 subchannels added were all shop-at-home ones.

I observed at one point after then that they had 64-2 MeTV back transmitting in HD, versus how they had reverted it to SD upon their addition of 64-6 Dabl a few months ago. But alas, it didn't last. MeTV is back to SD.

Other posts by the station in the subsequent days documented having to revert to the prior equipment, then trying again after applying new firmware.

Finally on June 4th, their last post about going onto the new equipment again seemed to document the final configuration being in place.

I've checked a few times since, and MeTV has remained SD. But the new encoder is apparently working out well, as Dabl and the 3 shop-at-homes all seem quite sharp, with no tiling like Dabl was having in early May and prior as I channel-surfed through.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:21 am

Has something gone wrong with WLLA's digital configuration?

A year and a half ago I could get them intermittently. About a year ago they got a new antenna that changed them from feeble to butt-kicking (quoting Radio Chili on that one). I could receive them nearly 100% of the time. Now it seems to be dependent on the TV I use. 2 TVs I have pick them up great. 2 others refuse to scan WLLA. Same antenna.

I'm tempted to drive to the tower and plug in one of those TVs that can't receive it to validate it isn't a signal level problem. I understand that they are still at ATSC 1.0 so I assume there isn't anything technical that could be a problem. Still, I wonder how it could be that I lost a solid channel exactly when they went to 9 subchannels. Do certain TV models have problems handling so many subchannels?

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:13 am

I had no problem receiving all of WLLA's subchannels using WinTV stick in my laptop a few weeks ago. The antenna was a flat one propped up in a window (facing NW) from 4th floor of Bronson Hospital (North Ave and Emmett St) in Battle Creek.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic