Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Laura Hartman Leaving WZZM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

Laura Hartman Leaving WZZM

Post by Localnewsisdead » Thu May 27, 2021 7:13 pm

WZZM morning meteorologist Laura Hartman has announced that she is leaving the station.

Here is her fb post:

Life Update

After nearly seven years with WZZM 13, tomorrow will be my last day. It's time to start a new chapter in life (and one that comes with a more "normal" sleep schedule!).

I can't even begin to describe how thankful I am for my time at this station and the experiences I had or the lifelong friendships I've gained. This job was a childhood dream fulfilled and I am especially fortunate to have worked in my hometown market, always close to family and friends.

I'm also extremely grateful for you, for tuning in over the years and trusting me with your forecast. From snow storms to severe weather, I have loved communicating the forecast to you each day. Thank you for waking up early with me and welcoming me into your home time after time.

I'll still be around West Michigan, so say hi if we cross paths! I'll also be keeping this page and occasionally posting because I want to stay connected

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." ~ A.A. Milne

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MasterB

Re: Laura Hartman Leaving WZZM

Post by MasterB » Thu May 27, 2021 11:58 pm

All the best Laura Hartman even know I hardly ever saw her since I don't watch morning news as I'm not a morning person. Only saw Laura doing the forecast on WZZM OnTarget Weather Network even know that was pre-recorded.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pm

What is up with this station? Since November 2020 they have now lost every member of the team except for George!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Sat May 29, 2021 12:22 am

Folks in the business have known this for years but no one seems to offer it up publically. So, I will. George is a pompous ass and extremely hard to work with/for. I've seen his tantrums first hand. So, that combined with piss poor leadership/management leads to massive turnover in the WZZM weather and news department. I don't ever see this changing.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 29, 2021 8:06 am

I'd be curious to know what explains the turnover in the Fox 17 weather department. The folks there come & go more often than even WZZM.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am

13 looks like a public access channel. They have never been the same since Price Communications bought them years ago and gutted the place.
13 on your side? Doubtful. Revolving door and a lawsuit is not a good look.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat May 29, 2021 3:03 pm

Localnewsisdead wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:22 am
Folks in the business have known this for years but no one seems to offer it up publically. So, I will. George is a pompous ass and extremely hard to work with/for. I've seen his tantrums first hand. So, that combined with piss poor leadership/management leads to massive turnover in the WZZM weather and news department. I don't ever see this changing.

Wasn’t one of the former GMs a really nasty person who people like George kissed up to, I suspect others are like him There over on 3 Mile.

13 hasn’t looked decent in almost 10 years.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Localnewsisdead wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what they do when George retires. There won't be anyone there with the experience to take over as Chief.

Also, George being a pompous ass doesn't surprise me. It always struck me as odd that the station made it a point to celebrate the exact moment George's tenure at WZZM exceeded Bill's, promoting him as the "longest tenured meteorologist at one station in West Michigan."

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat May 29, 2021 5:38 pm

Localnewsisdead wrote:
"longest tenured meteorologist at one station in West Michigan."
Translation: couldn't find a job anywhere else.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat May 29, 2021 11:11 pm

Bull Shannon wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm
Localnewsisdead wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what they do when George retires. There won't be anyone there with the experience to take over as Chief.

Also, George being a pompous ass doesn't surprise me. It always struck me as odd that the station made it a point to celebrate the exact moment George's tenure at WZZM exceeded Bill's, promoting him as the "longest tenured meteorologist at one station in West Michigan."
Bill is a way better meteorologist, ZZM didn’t deserve him

gotigers

Post by gotigers » Sun May 30, 2021 1:15 am

In the 5 years I've lived in Kalamazoo, I'm not sure that I've ever watched her on WZZM, but I do follow her on social media from when I did watch her on WILX and Fox 47 when I lived in Jackson. I always thought she did a good job in Lansing and enjoyed her posts from West Michigan on social media. Good luck to her!

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Jason Kragt wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:38 pm
Localnewsisdead wrote:
"longest tenured meteorologist at one station in West Michigan."
Translation: couldn't find a job anywhere else.
Correct, he was the only Chief there never to be tempted/stolen by another station. Craig James, Steffen and Kopecek all had takers in the market that got them away from 13.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sun May 30, 2021 9:39 pm

48125er wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:11 pm
ZZM *was* the top-tier weather station in the market for most of the '80s and '90s. It was when they started getting gimmicky with the target and weatherball that they went downhill.

And the fun part of Bill leaving WZZM was that he didn't have a non-compete, so WOOD announced his joining the station within like a week and there wasn't anything 13 could do about it.
inmyopinion wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm
Correct, he was the only Chief there never to be tempted/stolen by another station. Craig James, Steffen and Kopecek all had takers in the market that got them away from 13.
Either that, or WZZM really sweetened the pot on George's contract to keep him from looking elsewhere.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 am

Bull Shannon wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:39 pm
48125er wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:11 pm
ZZM *was* the top-tier weather station in the market for most of the '80s and '90s. It was when they started getting gimmicky with the target and weatherball that they went downhill.

And the fun part of Bill leaving WZZM was that he didn't have a non-compete, so WOOD announced his joining the station within like a week and there wasn't anything 13 could do about it.
inmyopinion wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm
Either that, or WZZM really sweetened the pot on George's contract to keep him from looking elsewhere.
13 doesn't sweeten pots to keep people, which is exactly why the most popular Met in town walked out the door in Steffen. And even if they did, honest Q, if you were running a newsroom, even in the good old days of TV News, would you try and steal GL?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 31, 2021 5:29 pm

I think George does a rock solid job at 13.

In terms of no one "stealing" him, where else would he go locally? WOOD, where he'd effectively be demoted? WWMT, where he'd have to drive an hour to get to work? WXMI, which likely has lower ratings in evening news and late evening news than 13 and has been a revolving door?

My guess is WZZM treats George and people like Juliet Dragos very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic