Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:36 pm

According to Gallup, 55% of Americans have no kind of a gun in their home.
55% say the biggest cause of mass shootings is mental illness.
57% favor tougher gun control laws.
61% say assault weapons should be banned.
63% own a gun for protection. 40% for hunting, 11% for recreation/sport shooting.
80% say they are at least a little concerned about gun availability.
92% favor strict background checks for all gun purchases to prevent school shootings.

The 21 who shot up the Boulder supermarket this week displayed a violent temper in high school, had at least one run in with a cop, He was armed with a Ruger AR-556 "handgun" converted to an AR assault style rifle.

He bought the weapon six days ago.

He exhibits all the signs of a paranoid schizophrenic.

I am hunter. I use a .270 Marlin bolt action rifle. I never have more than one shell loaded.

I have a ,22 rifle. Racoons in the bird feeder are committing a capital crime. Same thing with possums and fox in the hen house.

BUT, If I owned a radio station we would begin by advocating a complete ban on semi-automatic assault weapons, and our staff would pass petitions to get that ban on the ballot.

I have always said, "If you don't like a law, try to change it.' That's what I am talking about.

It seems like a no brainer, and a H*** attraction for female listeners.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

Realist

Re: Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Post by Realist » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Realistically? No one.

Might hurt the bottom line at IHeart, Townsquare or Cumulus

km1125

Re: Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:02 pm

What's an "assault" weapon??

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 pm

The fact anyone of adult age can purchase a weapon designed to kill people without any sort of mental health screening is a major issue, in my opinion.

The fact this very troubled young man failed to receive proper mental health services during his high school years is also deeply troubling to me. He clearly is a paranoid schizophrenic.
55% say the biggest cause of mass shootings is mental illness.
I'm surprised that percentage isn't higher.

Nearly all mass murderers are unhinged lunatics. What the hell do the other 45% believe is the cause?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 pm
The fact anyone of adult age can purchase a weapon designed to kill people without any sort of mental health screening is a major issue, in my opinion.
It's even earlier than adulthood. A 16 year old can buy a 4,000 lb vehicle and go on a murderer spree with that weapon.. We should definitely lock down on that too with some screening!!!
MWmetalhead wrote:
The fact this very troubled young man failed to receive proper mental health services during his high school years is also deeply troubling to me. He clearly is a paranoid schizophrenic.
Funny that most schools are REQUIRED BY LAW to report even a suspicious bruise, but they can't report very troubling mental behavior problems lest they get in all sorts of trouble. Maybe we need to fix that too.

Constant Listener

Post by Constant Listener » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:08 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Funny that most schools are REQUIRED BY LAW to report even a suspicious bruise, but they can't report very troubling mental behavior problems lest they get in all sorts of trouble. Maybe we need to fix that too.
From first hand experience on what I do, you’re absolutely wrong. This behavior gets reported to CPS, especially if the parent has been notified of this behavior and does nothing to get the child help. It’s considered Improper Supervision and if there are other kids in the home, it’s Failure to Protect, The things that CPS investigates has broadened now that the local offices no longer make the decision on what to assign or not.

option1

Post by option1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 am

R.I.P to those that have been killed by senseless gun violence. Families, friends, loved ones. So many affected.

But we have become numb as a society to events like Atlanta and Boulder and the countless occurrences that have preceded them. They make our news cycle for a few days and sadly we just wait for the next one hoping its not at our grocery store or school or movie theatre.

Throw the statistics and percentages out the window. They are meaningless. And I don’t need local radio and biased political discussions to remind me that an AR-15 assault rifle is a killing machine.

Fuck guns.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am

Alcohol claims more victims yearly than mass shootings, so we should get tougher booze laws on the books as well. Two things, the gun laws on the books are not properly enforced so what makes anyone think new ones would be. Second, the time when radio stations do editorials, with the possible exception of News and talk, has long since passed. Cannot afford to upset listeners or clients.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 pm

zzand wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am
Alcohol claims more victims yearly than mass shootings, so we should get tougher booze laws on the books as well. Two things, the gun laws on the books are not properly enforced so what makes anyone think new ones would be. Second, the time when radio stations do editorials, with the possible exception of News and talk, has long since passed. Cannot afford to upset listeners or clients.
That type of argument makes no sense at all. Basically what you are saying is because another problem exists (loose booze laws) we shouldn't even attempt to address mass shootings. Accepting that line of argument means that as long as anything in the world is wrong, we shouldn't try to address anything else. It is an intellectually void argument that can be thrown at any and every attempt at progress.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:06 am

Not at all, I am just saying let's not pick and choose which problems we tackle, let's tackle them all.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:19 am

I'm not sure why I should expect someone at a radio station to have the capacity to intelligently address the issue, rather than just spout meaningless outrage trying to rally support to have government exert even more control over their subjects.

imstudwell

Post by imstudwell » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:32 pm

km1125 wrote:I'm not sure why I should expect someone at a radio station to have the capacity to intelligently address the issue, rather than just spout meaningless outrage trying to rally support to have government exert even more control over their subjects.
Did you forget how intelligent these radio air staff personalities are? Or at least how smart they think they are.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 pm

imstudwell wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:32 pm
km1125 wrote:I'm not sure why I should expect someone at a radio station to have the capacity to intelligently address the issue, rather than just spout meaningless outrage trying to rally support to have government exert even more control over their subjects.
Did you forget how intelligent these radio air staff personalities are? Or at least how smart they think they are.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
:lol :lol

iwndry1015

Post by iwndry1015 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 pm

According to many news reports, the shooter in Boulder was already on the FBI watch list. How was he allowed to buy a gun in the first place? Before we start the conversation of banning the scary black gun, that you all seem to be terrified of, how about we fix the countless broken systems that are in place?

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Laundry at quarter past ten:

You are the problem. Deny we have a problem..... you foolish young person. The system is broken beyond repair. Time to start all over by banning semi automatic rifles, and pistols that can be converted to a rifle. NO ONE needs machines designed to kill people.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic