Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WZZM weekend morning news

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WZZM weekend morning news

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:58 pm

Gotta say - was pleasantly surprised by the quality of WZZM's Sunday morning newscast.

Solid talent behind the anchor desk. Excellent weathercast with great graphics and explanation (the meteorologist is very easy on the eyes, too!). Also enjoyed the extended sportscast with Mike Lacett as well as the "Verify" segment.

If this morning's newscast was representative of the current state of 13's on-air news product in general, I predict ratings gains are in their future.

I also have to say WOOD's Saturday evening and Sunday morning newscasts were solid. Was the guy doing sports Saturday evening a recent hire? Have not seen him before; he is a MILLION times better than the last guy I saw handling weekend sports duties on the station. The folks who anchored this morning's newscast were quite good, too.

17's product was disappointing this morning. It wasn't horrible, but the female I saw anchoring the news wasn't nearly as good as the talent I saw on both 8 & 13. Lacks the charismatic delivery of the other stations. Their set is cramped, outdated and low budget compared to 8 & 13. The chyrons also look drab.

Trophyhead

Re: WZZM weekend morning news

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 am

The anchor on 17 you saw yesterday morning is a fill-in on weekends, but a veteran of the station and a variety of shifts, in anchoring and reporting.

Amazing how poor the spelling often is on WXMI drab graphics, though my aged mind cannot cite the instance that had me changing the channel on the 7th.

Good to hear 13 is making something of themselves, Juliet Dragos is ticking toward 30 years on the station, next month. Wonder if she'll get the Lee Van Ameyde tribute segment as part of May Sweeps.

Big-D

Re: WZZM weekend morning news

Post by Big-D » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm

Shanna Grove had been doing a stellar job at WZZM on weekend mornings. Now she's not at the station.

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic