Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Let the great subchannel realignment begin

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Jason Kragt

Let the great subchannel realignment begin

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Looks like the impact of the Scripps purchase of Ion Media is starting to show locally.

As noted in another thread, Dabl is now duplicated on 41-2, pushing Get TV to 17-5. Court TV Mystery replaced Charge! on 17-4.

Today is apparently WZPX's turn. 43-2 is Court TV. 43-3 is Grit. 43-4 is Laff. I assume this means some imminent changes for 8-3, 17-3 and 41-3.

MasterB

Re: Let the great subchannel realignment begin

Post by MasterB » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm surprised that Nexstar hasn't taken Antenna TV and put it on Wood TV .2 since Scripps has Court TV Mystery on .4 and is on WXSP .3. I wonder if late Feb 28 & March 1 will be when the Katz TV networks go bye bye bye on Nexstar? Dabl is also on WLLA .6.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

format this

Post by format this » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:16 pm

And just when you thought the cable lineups were confusing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:21 pm

An now Court TV Mystery is on 43-5, duplicating 17-4.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 am

I'm in the Tampa area on vacation this month, and here are the duplicated subchannels there:
Court TV (WFLA 8.2, WFTS 28.4, and WXPX 66.2)
Court TV Mystery (WFLA 8.3 and WVEA 50.4) - could this be coming to WXPX 66.5 based on the above post and WFTS adding QVC?
Grit (WFTS 28.3 and WXPX 66.3)
Laff (WFTS 28.2 and WXPX 66.4)
QVC (WFTS 28.5 and WXPX 66.5) - WFTS just added QVC on Sunday afternoon

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Katz to have 2 more diginets on July 1 debut Doozy & Defy would be good for ION .2 & .3 and bump down the same channels that the Nexstar & Fox17 have just my opinion.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 am

Fox17 has added Cozi TV to the .6 that is what Wiki says.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:49 am

So another double-up occurs, at 15.2 and 17.6 in GR?

Lovely.

We used to have This, via 17. Is that outlet still around?

format this

Post by format this » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Trophyhead wrote:So another double-up occurs, at 15.2 and 17.6 in GR?

Lovely.

I’ll take that double-up, thank you 17 for giving Mattawan and Paw Paw Cozi. Can’t pull 15 here.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:07 pm

format this wrote:

Lovely.

I’ll take that double-up, thank you 17 for giving Mattawan and Paw Paw Cozi. Can’t pull 15 here.

I just rescanned and there is no 17.6

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm

I also noticed Cozi TV listed as 17.6 on both wikipedia and rabbitears, but it does not scan. I'm also out of range of any of the WXSP transmitters so it would be nice to check it out if WXMI did decide to add it.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:30 pm

format this wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Lovely.

Hi format this, Trophyhead, and All,

I have observations but not much hard information on these topics:

* The 17.6 subchannel for COZI started showing up in my Live Bandscans that feed to rabbitears.info early this month. Trip, the operator of rabbitears, added it per that information. I've had him since mark it as "Coming Soon", because:

-- My HDHomeRun tuner that does the Bandscan processing never shows video for it. Nor do our Tablo TV DVRs. They both sense the existence of the .6 subchannel, but it's always black video and no audio.

-- Our Samsung TVs at home don't even note the .6 subchannel when I rescan. That's likely the case for most of you.

* Regarding the WXSP "repeater" WOKZ with its tower on the west side of Kalamazoo, it's been "broadcasting dead air" since at least mid-February. I provided a comment to the WOOD/WOTV/WXSP engineering staff, who replied that they have equipment for repairs on order, and hope to have it corrected soon. That was a few weeks ago.

Format this, have you ever received WOKZ at your location? I'm unsure if TVs would show it as numbered 50.1 through 50.3, or 15.1 through 15.3, etc. It's on real channel RF33, if you have a tuner into which you can just punch the actual number for the real frequency/channel. If it does get restored, COZI would be on the .2 subchannel. (Also, if you do end up picking up, please kindly let me know, as then I'll make the drive down to the area to get the signal sampled to provide Trip at Rabbitears with an export file.)

* This TV is still around, although its sale last fall to Allen Media (remember Byron Allen from the NBC show "Real People"?) apparently has brought about some format tweaks, from what I've read on other sites. Their affiliate count has dwindled since its sale.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

(P.S. I'm no longer unemployed, so I'm not trolling this and other forum boards as much as I had been--it's a good thing!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:02 pm

Does WXSP's programming still air on one of the WOOD-TV subchannels, or was that discontinued a long time ago?

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:53 am

Discontinued. WXSP can only be received on the numerous low-power transmitters now. WOOD-TV only has Bounce (.2) and Laff (.3) subchannels now.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 pm

Okay, now the game plan regarding the seemingly foreshadowed duplicated COZI diginet is coming to light. FCC filings occurred today regarding NextGen TV (aka ASTC 3.0) broadcasting in our area.

Quicker than I could launch the attachments, I found on AVSForum that out-of-market contributor with handle of KyL416 had this post made in the HDTV thread for Grand Rapids/West Michigan:

"Grand Rapids' stations started to make their ATSC 3.0 filings.

"WOLP-CD's RF 35 signal and WXSP-CD's RF 15 signal will convert to ATSC 3.0 on 4/22, and carry nextgen versions of WOOD, WWMT, WXMI and WOTV.

"These will be their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
15.1 MyNetworkTV will be on WOOD's signals
15.2 Cozi will be on will be on WXMI's signals
15.3 CourtTV Mystery will be on WWMT's signal"

~~~~~~~

So the "dead air placeholder" that my HDHomeRun tuner is noticing and logging to the RabbitEars Live Bandscan as virtual channel 17.6 should get revised to display on our TVs as 15.2 and indeed be COZI around April 22nd.

I'll also guess that when the WOOD broadcast signal gets revised to include the fourth stream that will display as 15.1, it'll be in widescreen SD (standard definition; 480i), versus how today we receive the main WXSP in glorious 720p HD.

I'll mention here another FCC filing that I posted about on AVSForum earlier this month. The owner of the broadcast that last was analog channel 48 showing Three Angels Broadcasting mentioned in their request for an extension of construction permit that their intent when bringing a digital broadcast online is that it'd be as NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0). The Edge Spectrum narrative included the sentence that, "Edge plans to utilize DTS and ATSC 3.0 in all of its outstanding construction permits." (Full Word document link: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 8025b826b5 )

[DTS = Distributed Transmission System, for those not familiar with the acronym...with the concept briefly being that multiple towers can cover a geographical area with the same RF broadcast.]

Perhaps coincidentally, the antenna and other transmission equipment for WXSP (Nexstar owned) is at the same SBA Towers-owned structure as the Edge Spectrum-owned W48CL separate antenna and equipment. Though I've never seen any forum post anywhere mention Nexstar and Edge collaborating on NextGen TV efforts, maybe that could come about (?).

Man, when I re-read the above, I sure sound like a geek, don't I? Ask for any clarifications or further explanations of my thoughts as a reply or via Private Messages to me, and I'll try my best to answer from my self-taught knowledge gained over the last few years.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic