Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New GR radio ratings - Thunder reaches new record low; Star 105.7 continues to struggle

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

New GR radio ratings - Thunder reaches new record low; Star 105.7 continues to struggle

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Bear in mind this data set only goes into the second week of November, so it's too soon to judge what effect (if any) Christmas music will have:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

101.3's flip occurred near the start of the survey period, and 101.3 did see a minor uptick in its 12+ share.

Even though Star 105.7 remained unchanged, 100.5 The River saw a boost - and shockingly - now leads 105.7 by seven tenths of a share! (I suspect 105.7 is probably still in the lead in A25-54, but I could be wrong about that.)

Thunder 107.3 sunk to a 1.0 share, which is the worst performance EVER for the brand, whether we're talking the reincarnation or its first run pre-Nash. Recall that the second to last full book of the old Nash 94.5 was north of a 4 share!!!

It takes an incredible amount of weak programming and sheer incompetence to achieve such horrible ratings.

I also believe this marks the worst performance EVER for a secular music station on a Class B signal in the Grand Rapids market. (Mix 96, 96.1 Max FM, Radio X 9-6-1, WKLQ in the 107.3 era, and WBFX were all in the low 1's at some point during their respective life times, but I don't believe any of these stations were ever as low as a 1.0 share.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - make 107.3 a near replica of 94.1 in the Lansing market and watch the numbers rise instantly. And for avoidance of doubt, by "near replica," I don't mean Cumulus' shitty sounding, idiotically named "Nash Icon" format. I'm talking about a Country station that avoids Florida Georgia Line like the plague and focuses on material from the mid 80's to mid 00's.

In other Cumulus news - 106.1/1340 The Ticket had a 0.1 share.

Another thing I've noticed - WMRR's numbers have crashed in the Grand Rapids market! Wasn't that long ago that WMRR routinely was pulling around a 1 share. Now, they, too, are down to a 0.1 share.

I think Magic 104.9's flip to hardcore hip-hop has definitely weighed on WSNX's numbers.

zackeast

Re: New GR radio ratings - Thunder reaches new record low; Star 105.7 continues to struggle

Post by zackeast » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:35 pm
Even though Star 105.7 remained unchanged, 100.5 The River saw a boost - and shockingly - now leads 105.7 by seven tenths of a share! (I suspect 105.7 is probably still in the lead in A25-54, but I could be wrong about that.)
Two observations that may explain that:

A. Soft AC is continuing to do really well across the country. My own Hot AC flipped to this and we saw quite a response from audience that appreciated it. It also made it even easier to sell because it felt more "familiar."

and/or

B. If you're a Christian radio listener, soft AC is likely your P2 preset since it is generally also "family friendly" (except for Sexual Healing airing on occasion) :rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: New GR radio ratings - Thunder reaches new record low; Star 105.7 continues to struggle

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:51 pm

After the holidays, it will be interesting to see if Star 105.7 takes a more conservative stance musically.

It wasn't that long ago that Star's numbers were quite respectable.

I'm thinking there is a Nielsen participation issue in the G.R. market and fewer than usual data points are being collected.

I didn't realize 98.3 returned to its traditional AC roots. Shows ya how much I'm paying attention. :) I was always a fan of 98.3's take on traditional AC when 94.9 was still spinning Hot AC.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:54 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:51 pm
I didn't realize 98.3 returned to its traditional AC roots. Shows ya how much I'm paying attention. :) I was always a fan of 98.3's take on traditional AC when 94.9 was still spinning Hot AC.
The hilarious thing about that is that we make the joke all the time that "COSY 98.3" is alive and well once again after this format flip. We even have smooth jazz Sunday mornings! But the COSY name is now "stuck" on 103.7 since 2008. Pretty much no turning back now on that.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:53 pm

zackeast wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:45 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:35 pm
Two observations that may explain that:

A. Soft AC is continuing to do really well across the country. My own Hot AC flipped to this and we saw quite a response from audience that appreciated it. It also made it even easier to sell because it felt more "familiar."

and/or

B. If you're a Christian radio listener, soft AC is likely your P2 preset since it is generally also "family friendly" (except for Sexual Healing airing on occasion) :rollin
The Coast sounds great, Zack. I really enjoy the new sound especially since The Breeze was so unceremoniously killed off on this side of the state.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks! It’s been fun to be back in mornings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic