Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Odd that men don't do the same work as women....

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

Odd that men don't do the same work as women....

Post by Reese K Rickards » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:00 am

Looking through the Grand Rapids I Heart web pages this week I was mildly surprised to see Lauren Schmidt (Shmiddy) listed as doing mornings on Wood and Star, doing afternoons on WSNX (including Sunday). Aly Mac is doing mornings on B-93, middays on Star and Middays on Big. Tony Allen is listed as doing morning drive news on Wood (He kind of sounds like deputy Warren on the old Andy Griffith show) and there is no indication anyone is doing local news afternoons on Wood. Brett Matthews is listed as doing afternoons on Big, but his webpage still talks about how much he enjoys working at the Brew. And a note on the "Fun hits you know" station, the webpage is populated by mildly off color jokes, and disgusting photos of bizarre pimples. That's fun? In my VHO.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

andymuskegon

Re: Odd that men don't do the same work as women....

Post by andymuskegon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm

garbage. all of it. who gives a shit. results of destroying a once vital art and business. direct result of people being put in charge of an entire industry that had zero idea of what they were doing and how the long term ramifications for the markets they are licensed to "serve" have been damaged. unimaginable loss of a vital resource.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Andy my friend you sound nearly as bitter as I was..... till your first snow storm and it was 80 here in Florida. I wonder sometimes why I was called talent. I never saw the 1996 derg act for what it would be. Greedy greedy men bought every station they could and paid obscene multiples. Of course it caught up with them. That's why radio is what it is today,. I Heart paid my brother a million bucks to sit on the beach for a couple of years just to get out of his contract.
Your job and my job is gone forever. The Phil Towers and Doug Montgomery's of the world were thrown away after years of success. That won't change. What we disgruntled workers need is a signal that covers Kent and Ottawa Counties, and brother, stand back. We would own the market.

But my question was, why are the chicks pulling three air shifts. Can't they at least make it less obvious by using air names? Why isn't Matt and Steve pulling extra air time That's a ral mystery, unless they have been pushed into sales or production.

And why are their web pages such a genuine disaster?

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

To add to this rant:
I was listening a bit to 101.3 at about 2 pm today, and the young girl (are her parents even old enough for this station's target?) stumbled through a stopset, going on about how stupid she is for not knowing what day of the week it is, and turning that into a promo for the MSU-Maryland on Saturday. The big problem is that the game was canceled more than 3 hours before that! WTF?

Hey, if you old radio guys buy a station, sign me up for a weekend shift! We'll show them what live and local really should be!

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm

bitter? not for a second. i was told that muskegon was a "dead town full of blacks and a pain in the ass" right in front of one of the guys from cincy when he was making a market visit and the clock started ticking right then and there. i never got a dime for the years they had me on 101.3 and i was so over the bullying and the "we're coming form grand rapids for some meetings, no one leave the building" when i sent in my 2 weeks notice, i had all my shit packed and knew that i wouldn't be given the dignity of being able to say goodbye.

it's wonderful you're brother got a big pay out, i never made more than 42 grand a year in my entire career. and that was at FGR when i came back only to be on the air in grand rapids long enough to be there. i didn't think it would last the year it did.

back to the bitter idea, again, i walked. my choice. nascar was great and to have that on the resume, it doesn't hurt one bit. back here, muskegon is left in a void. piped in radio is what i came here to get rid of, and we did. we made MRR a success in a couple of years. as it all contracted back to premium choice, it was going right back to what muskegon hates and that's something from out of town crammed down their throats. dear people and friends that are still working there, and i hope they understand full well that none of this is directed at them individually. i hope they know too that it's been more than once i have been asked to come back by both iheart and other players and i told them no. my request to them politely is "when you are ready to sell, let me know and i'll put some folks together to try and buy them". i will not make another dime for any company that saw my town like that and did nothing about the person who said it.

i am continuing doing what i am doing and quite thankfully, we've found ways to work around all of the hijacked transmitters that are run as grand rapids radio stations even though they are licensed to muskegon, we gain audience day after day, week after week and we offer more content than i ever dreamed possible on platforms from the size of a phone to a 70 inch tv. :) as they continue to try and squeeze out a beached whale, we're going in the right direction, giving muskegon it's own like it deserves an in the long run, we're going to get media working properly in this town again for everyone.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:38 am

This ain't the glory days like when you., Mickey and Reese were on the airwaves,
Radio sucks in West Michigan nowadays except for 94.5 which is the only station I like and listen to cause they play music no one else here does even that's little more than a repeater from 107.1 in Ann Arbor.

I wonder if Iheartless has a requirement that their jocks write stupid at least 10 times a week like Clownsquare does, why theres shit like big pimples on there webpages.

Doktor No

Post by Doktor No » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Again....why I only have Sirius on my truck and car radio and usually tune into . Around the house it is Music Choice on the cable or a tape or CD in the system. Yeah I'm old but still remember LOVE Radio back in 69/70 with Brother John Rydgren and WXTO with Ed Buchanan and WGVU when they were 10 watt college stations playing just the coolest music that no one ever heard of.
Radio? AM or FM anymore? WHY?!
WYCE still is or was good too. Havn't listened to them though since I stopped drilling boxcars down at the train yard behind the Mobil station on Chicago Drive and Byron Center roads. We had them on the shanty radio. I had a very progressive engineer on the job. We had fun.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 am

Mickey Lolitch: You almost certainly were listening to Ally Mac. In her defense the show was voiced tracked. She probably had no idea the game was canceled when it was recorded. Stupid? If you were doing three shows a day you might get confused too. As for stumbling through a break, if it really was bad, that would be on her. It is very easy to erase the break and start over. But it is much easier not to care and just throw anything into the track and go home. IMHO

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:28 am

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 pm
Andy my friend you sound nearly as bitter as I was..... till your first snow storm and it was 80 here in Florida. I wonder sometimes why I was called talent. I never saw the 1996 derg act for what it would be. Greedy greedy men bought every station they could and paid obscene multiples. Of course it caught up with them. That's why radio is what it is today,. I Heart paid my brother a million bucks to sit on the beach for a couple of years just to get out of his contract.
Your job and my job is gone forever. The Phil Towers and Doug Montgomery's of the world were thrown away after years of success. That won't change. What we disgruntled workers need is a signal that covers Kent and Ottawa Counties, and brother, stand back. We would own the market.

But my question was, why are the chicks pulling three air shifts. Can't they at least make it less obvious by using air names? Why isn't Matt and Steve pulling extra air time That's a real mystery, unless they have been pushed into sales or production.

And why are their web pages such a genuine disaster?

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am

Reese,
I know, it is the state of radio these days. But whomever put her on that station should be horsewhipped. It was bad radio. I still expect better from a market the size of GR. Back in the day, she might have an overnight weekend slot, at best.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Frosty, there were some bad hires in my last few years at I Heart. Because "It is what it is", Phil Tower was one culprit. When the tenth floor began easing me out, I was named news director at WOOD. It was a title only. I had no power over hiring and firing. Phil blessed me with a young woman out of GVSU. One day in a newscast she referred to the signing at the end of the Civil War, saying it took place at "A -pum-a tox Courthouse."

She is out of radio now.

In part I blame this on the big three buying up the "minor radio markets". There are darn few places for beginners to learn. When I entered radio in "79" I strongly believed it would take a beginner five years to know if they belonged in radio, It did for me.

Down here in Florida I took a job at WWSB the ABC Affiliate in Sarasota, running audio. I couldn't stand the young women all < 25. They believed they were too good for Sarasota and should be working for the networks. Several would take their mikes off and leave them around the building for me to find. One even had an accent bordering on a speech impediment. The WX chief kept turning on the mute function and blaming me for his mike not working. After 18 months, It was the only time I ever quit a job without giving two weeks.

Hey Andy... maybe I am still bitter.

G G

Post by G G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:18 am

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:00 am
Looking through the Grand Rapids I Heart web pages this week I was mildly surprised to see Lauren Schmidt (Shmiddy) listed as doing mornings on Wood and Star, doing afternoons on WSNX (including Sunday). Aly Mac is doing mornings on B-93, middays on Star and Middays on Big. Tony Allen is listed as doing morning drive news on Wood (He kind of sounds like deputy Warren on the old Andy Griffith show) and there is no indication anyone is doing local news afternoons on Wood. Brett Matthews is listed as doing afternoons on Big, but his webpage still talks about how much he enjoys working at the Brew. And a note on the "Fun hits you know" station, the webpage is populated by mildly off color jokes, and disgusting photos of bizarre pimples. That's fun? In my VHO.
Well the way I see it is they need to make up for a lack of talent somehow, so they work different. Its fair.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic