Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Phil Tower is latest iHM budget cut victim

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Phil Tower is latest iHM budget cut victim

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Terrible decision. He knows WOOD Radio and the market inside & out.

The station and the listening public will be worse off in view of his departure.

TC Talks

Re: Phil Tower is latest iHM budget cut victim

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:17 pm

He's like the last one from that generation, right?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Pretty much. He had two lengthy tours of duty there. The first began in the early 90s, I believe.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Wow, I've worked with Phil in the past, and have known him for almost 40 years. He's a quality guy who knows his stuff. Hope he is able to find other work in the market.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm

This is stunning news. I haven't been there in 4 and a half years, but at the time he was the only one that really knew how to run the place. I can't help but feel I Heart has given up on WOOD. Phil is a good guy. I am sure the building is reeling. If Phil was zipped, no one is safe.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Phil Tower is from Greenville. His Dad was Ray Tower that started Tower Automotive back in 1993. Ray was a good man that did many great things for West Michigan.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am

First class human in every definition of the word. All the best to Phil and to know that something will come for him that's truly greener pastures is good. I can easily seem him at WGVU or something like that where he'll get the respect he deserves.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:22 am

Radio is a shell of its former self and I told Phil last night that I was glad he was out. There is no respect for talent, tenure or passion just far away voice trackers, squeezing nickels and nationwide playlists. Phil will certainly land on his feet and radio will continue its inexorable slide into irrelevance.

wode2

Post by wode2 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Being a longtime viewer of the buzzboard, Phil Tower and Jim Costa's pink slips have pushed me to be a offical poster. Having never working in the industry, figured my opinions weren't as important. These two getting the axe is the final straw. I've talked with Phil over the years as a fan of WOOD Radio and iHeart letting him go is beyond absurd. Then again, when you have a terrible business model, you're bound to have to fire those who are good and put out a terrible product. At this point, I hope iHeart goes out of business and those stations can be picked back up by financially responsible owners and restore them back to their greatness (doubtful but a guy can dream)

Done with my rant. :D

option1

Post by option1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Radio companies like iheart, Cumulus, Beasley, Townsquare, have to reduce operating expenses in order to survive. It’s a simple numbers game. You work in radio you are given a number. It’s just a matter of time until your number gets called.

Now that the political season is over, and that easy revenue is going away, it’ll only get worse.

From a strictly business perspective, iheart’s model/execution is actually smart in that its the only way they will survive. I’m not giving them a pass for the countless errors they have made along the way that put them in their current position, but choices are slim for them at this point. And anyone who was taken by surprise by getting let go just wasn’t paying attention.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:51 pm

EVERYONE who works at places like Iheart, Cumulus, Townsquare etc all know the deal. You're a number on a spreadsheet, and it's a matter of WHEN, not if. They all know it. Sad but true. No one is surprised anymore. It's not about ratings, job performance, work ethic... it's purely about bottom lines from over-leveraged broken companies in debt to an unsustainable level. B93 was/is the #1 station in the market, and they've bounced everyone from there except a weak morning show, which easily could be next. It has to be hard for anyone left there to go to work each day and feel good about themselves.

Local radio and media is where it's at - and going. The Ihearts, Gannets and Mlives of the world... it's just a matter of time.

Side note - Phil is a great guy, but he HAD to have known this day was coming. He's no fool and would be a H*** asset to real local radio... Ala WGVU, LP-FM's etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic