Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Portest Coverage

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MasterB

Portest Coverage

Post by MasterB » Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Most of the local TV stations have been covering them Fox17, Wood TV, WZZM, WWMT has been MIA they kept it CBS programming kinda surprised they didn't keep the news coverage on CW7 as they put ROH at 10:30PM. WXSP has kept the coverage of the protest on as of 11PM kinda surprised that Nexstar hasn't put it on WOTV and not put Syndie programming on WXSP.

Kalamazoo Protest was very peaceful no violence whatsoever. Grand Rapids is now into riot now than a protest as fires and breaking of windows from what I saw on Fox17 in the 10PM to 11PM hour I was hoping that GR was going to be peaceful like Kalamazoo. I hope all the reporters stay safe covering the protest tonight. Update WWMT has gone to ROH and the rest are still reporting on the riots in GR.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

handbanana

Re: Portest Coverage

Post by handbanana » Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 am

I'm very surprised WOOD hasn't gotten some relief for Leon Hendrix at this point, he's been handling the desk solo all night. They knew these protests were coming, but seem severely understaffed in studio and on the streets.

But at least they're still on the air, Fox 17 gave up a while ago and now Friends is on. :(

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Sun May 31, 2020 12:30 pm

I watched just the WOOD coverage last night, and was overall impressed with what they did. Major props to Leon. I started watching about 9:30 and made it until a little after 2, and he was on the whole time, solo, doing phone interviews and coordinating coverage with the field reporters. Justin Kollar, Jacqueline Francis and John Domol all did well getting into the heat of it. Poor Susan Samples - I'm not sure how she got pressed into service, but it was clear her nerves were wracked being out there. It was compounded when her photographer was attacked. Luckily they made the right choice to bring her back to the studio after that.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:37 am

How disheartening it was to hear no local radio news coverage of the situation. All I Heart had to do was look out the window.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Probably only a board op and a janitor in the building at that hour!

WGVU Radio has a better staffed news department than WOOD.

WOOD's news department consists of a few folks who grab stories off the wire. Almost zero original reporting. Their news operation has been a joke for nearly two decades now, in my opinion.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 pm
Probably only a board op and a janitor in the building at that hour!

WGVU Radio has a better staffed news department than WOOD.

WOOD's news department consists of a few folks who grab stories off the wire. Almost zero original reporting. Their news operation has been a joke for nearly two decades now, in my opinion.
WGVU has had more reporters since 1987 when they became an NPR station. It is a requirement to be an NPR member.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic