Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WFUR 102.9 off air

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
ChrisWL1980

Re: WFUR 102.9 off air

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:12 am
lol is this a station for furries?
Try FURniture. As in "Furniture City."

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 pm

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... virus.html

Many Christian radio stations are seeing the effect of closed Churches.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu May 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Is the translator on 102.5 off too, I've been getting WIOG a lot easier now, Probably will get W4 from Ann Arbor for the first time one of these days here.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:09 pm

It's been quite the while, but 102.9 is back on the air. Sorta.

I caught them in the 1pm hour today testing their signal with dead air. I was hoping for a final sign-on (not that I want a station on that frequency...) so I started recording while doing other things. But a few minutes into it, I come back in the room and it's all Big Country again. The signal had abruptly turned off.

But it proves there is life to this eventual signal... Someone is messing with things.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm

I am going to be in West Michigan tomorrow; hope it remains off the air! Would love to see how far WWWW-FM's signal stays readable.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Grand Rapids has not been heard since then.

Here in Fremont, it has been W4, The Hog, and Big Country all back and forth every day, all day. W4 is often dominant in the day with Big Country dominant at night, sometimes in near local strength with RDS. The Hog is mostly a daytime station and is best with morning enhancement. I have made plenty of recordings of all of them in the three or so weeks we were supposed to have dead air. It's been a whole month longer than that now... and I have no complaints. I'll soon share some recordings of how these stations typically sound here. I think you'll find W4 will travel almost anywhere you'll be visiting. No other stations heard beside those three and not much else in the region beside them.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

I tuned to 102.9 MHz for about five minutes while driving M-6 from roughly Hanna Lake Rd. (a mile east of Kalamazoo Ave.) all the way to I-96 by the airport.

102.9 The Hog for a few brief spurts was coming in nicely. Heard "Send the Pain Below" by Chevelle, an excerpt & promo for the Bob and Brian morning show, and then "Loser" by Beck. Station came in well enough at one point for me to determine that it has clean, almost perfect processing for a rock station.

Once I reached the I-96/M-6 junction, I basically heard nothing on 102.9. Once I drove past M-50 (Lowell exit), I was beginning to hear WWWW-FM in spurts. With WFUR-FM off the air, W4 now comes in quite well as far west as the Ingham/Eaton line. Signal starts to cut in & out in the Delta Twp / Grand Ledge area.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:17 pm

A friend in Lapeer sent me a clip of gospel music on 102.9 at 9pm tonight as heard on his radio. 102.9 Grand Rapids is a regular there. I turned on the radio and BBN is on the air now matching his clip. I just recorded a TOH ID from The Hog a few hours ago, so they must have signed on around 8pm, give or take.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm

The new 102.9 is on the air, I heard them earlier talking about “the flesh” sounds a lot like 89.7 https://youtu.be/N_jnhmnSHqM

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:39 am

48125er wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm
The new 102.9 is on the air, I heard them earlier talking about “the flesh” sounds a lot like 89.7 https://youtu.be/N_jnhmnSHqM
I just wrote that two days before you :razz

And yes, I suppose they do sound similar to Strong Tower sorta. They have their differences for sure, but I've spent a lot of time listening to BBN on 99.9 here just because I'm bored and would actually prefer Strong Tower just because they are more local than BBN. Sure did take them a heck of a lot of time to sign on - a whole month and a half. But I really appreciated that time to listen to what would be normal on 102.9 if there were no Grand Rapids there. I'll have to upload the clips of what I usually could hear on the frequency in all those weeks. It was enjoyable while it lasted anyway.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Neckbeard, where in the HELL have you been???

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:51 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:54 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Neckbeard, where in the HELL have you been???
I lurk from time to time. Its fun to come around every so often.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:43 pm

For all the time that WFUR was off the air, three stations were regularly heard here in Fremont and never any more than those. WFUR had a decent enough signal where it was quite difficult to ever null the station, so very few things were ever heard in town aside from Grand Rapids.

W4 Country at 136 miles was extremely common while WFUR was off and could be heard almost 24/7.

Listen to W4 Country's signal

Big Country at 146 miles was just as common and when enhancement hit, the station was nearly the same signal levels as Grand Rapids stations, in with full RDS.

Listen to Big Country's signal

The Hog (107 miles) was a lot less common because many of the Milwaukee stations are slightly blocked by some terrain nearby. It was a lot more common on the road in the car, but still not half as common anywhere as the other two, but usually still in with RDS.

Listen to The Hog's signal (a bit weaker than the other two)

Then on June 26th, the new WYHA came on the air testing with a silent signal for a while. Then it suddenly turned off, leaving Big Country in the background.

Listen to BBN's test vs. Big Country

Two days later, WYHA was on the air. Bummer.

Listen to the death of all others as BBN turns on

However, while WFUR rarely would allow a peep of any other station behind it, WYHA's new signal (assuming they used their own equipment and engineering) is regularly being battered by The Hog on the car radio. It's even possible to null out WYHA at home on the portable. The signal isn't as strong, i.e. it's still as strong as before, but it's a lot less reliable, bouncing from 35dBu to 10 to 20, etc. just walking around. At times, The Hog completely wipes it out, and that's been a daily thing. No complaints.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic