Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Celebration Theatre

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
ADD in TC

Celebration Theatre

Post by ADD in TC » Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Word has it the Woodland Mall location is closing.If true, maybe Michael Moore can step in and do a miraculous wonder like he did with the State Theatre here in Traverse City.

Musicrewired

Re: Celebration Theatre

Post by Musicrewired » Thu May 14, 2020 3:33 pm

He didn't save any of the theaters that closed in the Flint area in the past 10 years or so, like the Cinema 10 or Showcase East. The Capitol Theatre in downtown Flint was restored a few years ago, but Moore had no hand in that.

If anyone were to step in, it'd have to be another company. I don't see that happening in the short term, certainly.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Hollywood seldom puts out any blockbusters anymore, and many folks have 55 inch or larger TVs in their house with access to Netflix.

It's a dying business (theaters). Helps to have a gimmick such as booze.

Didn't a Cinemark theater at that same location fold over a decade ago?

Celebration Cinema has a VERY tired looking logo and brand image. They need something better.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon May 25, 2020 1:51 am

My friend in another state where things are opening faster than Michigan (no shortage of candidates there) was wondering why the theaters there hadn't opened yet, even though they were allowed to do so.

It was my opinion that since there were currently no new movies being released to theaters, it wouldn't be financially smart to go through the motions to not have something to watch that people couldn't already see another way. Showing old films is a novelty, but the crowds interested wouldn't be large enough to cover the costs of staffing and supplies, plus advertising to let people know you were open again. When the new movies come back, the audience, in whatever form is allowed, will be there.

Just not at Celebration Cinema at Woodland Mall. They're changing a number of things there, with Sears giving way to Von Maur, and Bar Louie disappearing in favor of The Cheesecake Factory. Maybe they can fill in the theater area with a version of the Cinema and Drafthouse concept, seeing that GR is the Beer City.

I remember the Quo Vadis theater in Westland when they had their bar area upstairs. That was ahead of its' time. The theater with the left-side curtains that opened to show Wayne Rd was a bit strange, though.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2609

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Von Maur is back open from a report from Wood TV tonight even know Woodland Mall is still close. I read an article 10 days ago major movie theater chains will open back up late June early July.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

XMTRNUT

Post by XMTRNUT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 pm

The Loeks and Mr. Goodrich should open a few more drive-in theaters. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/drive-i ... demic.html

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:42 pm

XMTRNUT wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 pm
The Loeks and Mr. Goodrich should open a few more drive-in theaters. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/drive-i ... demic.html
I have read a few interviews with Drive-In operators and truth be told they aren't seeing a particular revenue windfall out of this. Some say break even at best. Most are having difficulty getting anything but 2nd run films with studios holding back "blockbusters", the money is still in the popcorn and soda which few are purchasing and obviously it's a seasonal proposition.

One wrinkle that may hold some promise for turning a buck at least as a quick shot operation are the folks doing pop-up drive-in's using Jumbotron type screens in shopping center and mall parking lots with special event type programming. (live concerts, curated or themed programming). In fact WalMart is attempting to roll out some 160 screens in August with the folks running the Tribeca Film Festival doing the programming. That might be kind of fun if it were an event I couldn't see via cable or streaming to a home theater system.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311 ... e-theaters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic